Subban re-signs, 8 years, $72 million ($9 M AAV)

dlbalr

I always approached Kovy with a sense of humour (this IS entertainment after all, and on that level he delivered). He was fun to have on the team from a fan point of view. But I can completely understand a more antagonistic, steam-from-the-ears reaction to his antics.

Good point about Kovy vs. Koivu. The treatment of Koivu over the years really was pretty strange. A substantial minority of the fanbase never seemed to warm to him, and the nationalist knuckle-draggers threw him into the meat-grinder in a way that they never came close to doing with Gionta, an equally unilingual captain, for reasons that are totally unclear to me. It's really quite puzzling in as much as Saku Koivu was about as close to a genuine hero as you get in modern hockey - yet he was not much appreciated by a good chunk of Habs' "fans."

Koivu speaks at least two languages so he is not unilingual.

Kovalev is just bitter. Check out the comments he made after the Florida Debacle. He couldn't keep up with the play and quit the team the minute he was benched. Who else quits a team in modern-day sports? Well, Tim Thomas. But that's the caliber of individual they are.

Kovalev compared Subban to Brian Leetch. Kovalev meant it to be a negative thing, but it didn't do his argument any favors.

Let's take a look at Brian Leetch:

Best season - 102 points (22 goals, 80 assists) in 1992 as a defenseman

Career totals - 247 goals, 781 assists, 1028 points in 1205 games.

Career Playoff Totals - 28 goals, 69 assists, 97 points in 95 games.

Stanley Cup Champion (1994)

Conn Smyth Trophy (1994)

Olympic Silver Medal (USA - 2002)

World Cup of Hockey Gold Medal (1996) - team captain of the USA

10 time all-star

Hockey Hall of Fame

Listed as #71 on THN's "100 Greatest NHL Players of all time"

If this is the comparison Kovalev wants to make, and I were PK Subban, I'd be flattered. Leetch was a spectacular hockey player. I'd be absolutely elated if Subban ended up having a career anything like that.

Kovalev compared Subban to Brian Leetch. Kovalev meant it to be a negative thing, but it didn't do his argument any favors.

Let's take a look at Brian Leetch:

Best season - 102 points (22 goals, 80 assists) in 1992 as a defenseman

Career totals - 247 goals, 781 assists, 1028 points in 1205 games.

Career Playoff Totals - 28 goals, 69 assists, 97 points in 95 games.

Stanley Cup Champion (1994)

Conn Smyth Trophy (1994)

Olympic Silver Medal (USA - 2002)

World Cup of Hockey Gold Medal (1996) - team captain of the USA

10 time all-star

Hockey Hall of Fame

Listed as #71 on THN's "100 Greatest NHL Players of all time"

If this is the comparison Kovalev wants to make, and I were PK Subban, I'd be flattered. Leetch was a spectacular hockey player. I'd be absolutely elated if Subban ended up having a career anything like that.

subban will out do leetch but I get your point. Kovalev justs keeps spitting out the gems. He never did engage brain before speaking.