Feb 19th, 2013 - Habs vs Rangers

dlbalr

I did not expect the doom and gloom of many pre-season predictions, however in my wildest dreams I would not have expected to be sitting in first place in the divison or conference.

I was my usual optimistic self and expected a good season, but not that good either.

My understanding was that last season's was a fluke. I mean, we did not have Markov, Gionta was hurted, Bourque was all mixed up (I was sure that he would rebound), Diaz (I always liked him) and Emelin were rookies... I figured that Galchenyuk would make the team as soon as training camp started. After all, Gomez was not there anymore (BTW, he struggles with San Jose) and I thought that he was too talented to go back to the juniors. The big surprise, for me, is Gallagher. I know that he had a great training camp in 2011, but I figured that he was not physically mature to play in the NHL. Big mistake, the kid is unbelievable. Such a sniper, so quick to release. A great find by Timmins.

The defense corp is also a surprise. It's not a big defense, but they are fast and intelligent with the puck. Kaberle and Weber are there to help if needed, while we have St-Denis, Tinordi, Pateryn, Beaulieu and Ellis with the BullDogs. That's some depth.

I see complaints about Armstrong. I really don't understand them. Can someone tell me what he's done wrong?

- Good on the PK.

- Defensively Responsible at ES (very few goals/scoring chances against when he is on the ice).

- some physical play

- no bad penalties.

He's been everything you want in a fourth liner, he's playing a solid game. I don't know what people expect out of a 1 million dollar fourth line player, because he is playing a near perfect game for his role right now.

Yes, I get it, the guy is very "vanilla" out there and provides zero flash and dash to his game, but we are playing 3 scoring lines, and one gritty/defensive fourth line. Being Vanilla is exactly what the coaches want out of him. Kill minutes and don't hurt the team.

Tom Pyatt was all the things you say with foot speed as well. I just think people were expecting more speed.

I always liked Tom Pyatt as a fourth line player.

Its a good comparison, and as you say, Pyatt had more footspeed... but we have an obsession with size and Armstrong is bigger and stronger.

I see complaints about Armstrong. I really don't understand them. Can someone tell me what he's done wrong?

- Good on the PK.

- Defensively Responsible at ES (very few goals/scoring chances against when he is on the ice).

- some physical play

- no bad penalties.

He's been everything you want in a fourth liner, he's playing a solid game. I don't know what people expect out of a 1 million dollar fourth line player, because he is playing a near perfect game for his role right now.

Yes, I get it, the guy is very "vanilla" out there and provides zero flash and dash to his game, but we are playing 3 scoring lines, and one gritty/defensive fourth line. Being Vanilla is exactly what the coaches want out of him. Kill minutes and don't hurt the team.

Eeeeeh... after 16 games the only forwards with fewer hits than him are Desharnais, Plekanec and Galchenyuk. Gionta and Gallagher are hitting more. That's not what I want from a 4th liner.

You know who he reminds me of when he's on the ice? Kaberle. No jam, no push... he's even been the last man in on quite a few scrums. There's no character in his play. This guy used to want to score goals, and he should be trying to force his way onto the 3rd line. But he isn't. He's just happy to be playing at all.

And that's fine, I guess. He's not hurting the team, but he's a passenger and a lot of Habs fans hate passengers (like Kaberle, who is despised despite consistently being amongst the top 20 defensemen for points.)

Eeeeeh... after 16 games the only forwards with fewer hits than him are Desharnais, Plekanec and Galchenyuk. Gionta and Gallagher are hitting more. That's not what I want from a 4th liner.

You know who he reminds me of when he's on the ice? Kaberle. No jam, no push... he's even been the last man in on quite a few scrums. There's no character in his play. This guy used to want to score goals, and he should be trying to force his way onto the 3rd line. But he isn't. He's just happy to be playing at all.

And that's fine, I guess. He's not hurting the team, but he's a passenger and a lot of Habs fans hate passengers (like Kaberle, who is despised despite consistently being amongst the top 20 defensemen for points.)

I agree with both of you.

I'm happy with Armstrong's play so far, but not excited. I was expecting him to be at least as much visible and into every games as Moen. He is not quite there yet...

the difference is Kaberle coughs up the puck and is an adventure to watch (in a bad way). If your 4th line isn't burning you, its usually a good thing.

I agree with both of you.

I'm happy with Armstrong's play so far, but not excited. I was expecting him to be at least as much visible and into every games as Moen. He is not quite there yet...

Agreeed. I'm indifferent to Armstrong, but am very dissapointed in Moen.

• Upvote 1

the difference is Kaberle coughs up the puck and is an adventure to watch (in a bad way). If your 4th line isn't burning you, its usually a good thing.

Agreeed. I'm indifferent to Armstrong, but am very dissapointed in Moen.

I so agree moen needs to bring a lot more then he is. We all seen the way he can play he looks very slow out there so if he is hurt sit him till he is better he needs a couple of games on the pine.

What game are you guys watching? Moen has been solid. Draws penalties, forechecks, backchecks and is our strongest penalty killing winger. He's all about responsibility.

I feel like some people want Moen to deliver devastating hits every shift, and fight at least once a game. Although he may have lost a step, Moen provides intelligent play and toughness on a regular basis. He does all the little things right, IMO.

What game are you guys watching? Moen has been solid. Draws penalties, forechecks, backchecks and is our strongest penalty killing winger. He's all about responsibility.

I've missed half of the games so far because of work, but in pretty much every game I watched, Moen was close to invisible and a non factor... Just like Armstrong.

Maybe it's good for a 4th liner though...