2012 NHL Playoffs Thread

sakiqc

A baffling result for the Canuckleheads. There is no question the Kings were the better team - I'm tempted to say they wanted it more. The question is, what happened to last year's Canucks? Surely Erhoff wasn't that important?

We'll see what they get back for Luongo and who they acquire on the open market to fix this. Personally, I think this core still has about a three-year window, so I certainly wouldn't panic. In hockey terms, I think they need a serious upgrade on the bottom-6 and, if they get lucky, could snag a Suter, which might put them over the top. Also, they really suffered in this series from the lack of an Erik Cole type who could bull his way around the net. (Kesler is supposed to be that, but wasn't). Those guys don't grow on trees, however.

And what about Vigneault? I don't think they quit on him, but it could be a situation where the team just would benefit from a new voice, a new approach. It'll be very interesting to see what Gillis does going forward - one of the more intriguing off-season situations of 2012.

You gotta wonder what team wants Luongo the most. What team thinks Luongo is their answer.

Tampa Bay and Toronto need him but I don't believe they have what Gillis wants. Chicago would be interesting but it's not the right fit. Ottawa has the cap with none of the roster players to give. Same goes with Washington (let Semin go, in comes Kuznetsov) but I see them riding Holtby. That leaves my wildcard choice of Winnipeg. They need a goalie. They have players that can interest Vancouver (Kane, Wheeler, Bogosian) they have prospects in the system Vancouver would want (Klingberg) and they got some damn good pick spots coming up in the draft. If there's a perfect situation partner for the Canucks it's the Jets. Only way I can see it going another way is if Yzerman gets hungry and offers up Brett Connolly.

You gotta wonder what team wants Luongo the most. What team thinks Luongo is their answer.

Tampa Bay and Toronto need him but I don't believe they have what Gillis wants. Chicago would be interesting but it's not the right fit. Ottawa has the cap with none of the roster players to give. Same goes with Washington (let Semin go, in comes Kuznetsov) but I see them riding Holtby. That leaves my wildcard choice of Winnipeg. They need a goalie. They have players that can interest Vancouver (Kane, Wheeler, Bogosian) they have prospects in the system Vancouver would want (Klingberg) and they got some damn good pick spots coming up in the draft. If there's a perfect situation partner for the Canucks it's the Jets. Only way I can see it going another way is if Yzerman gets hungry and offers up Brett Connolly.

One thing to keep in mind is that Gillis may not be looking for huge returns for Luongo. That team is capped out and he may have other uses for the cap space that trading him frees up; so you might be able to acquire Bobby Lou for a solid prospect, a la Eller. Just a thought.

Sens are one of my favorite teams. I am really rooting for them this year.

I dislike EVERY team but, obviously, the Canadien in the Eastern Conference.

I like the Wings and the Kings though. That's about it.

Another Bruin game seven and the refs see no BrUin infractions half way through. There have been several blatant penalties by them with no call. Reminds me of the joke of a game 7 vs Tampa last year.

Looks like a missed goaltender interference call to me.

Well, that makes, one bad call against the Bruins to 3670033658930 bad calls against their opponents...but as for tonight's result:

THERE IS A GOD.

Looks like a missed goaltender interference call to me.

i see it the same way, once again the blue paint means absolutely nothing.

But, NHL is more like the WWF; it is just entertainment business and lacks integrity, which all the real sports leagues have.

In football, a hold by O-lineman in pre-season is called exact same as with 5 seconds left in superbowl and their is no whining by players/coachs; also there is no totally lame, "Putting Whistle in their pocket and let em play" crap!

But owners and Bettman pull the strings and produce whatever product they want on any given day. Calling too many penalties, the give thier puppet refs the word to ease up and same goes for suspensions and Pinocchio Shanahan.

Looks like Beantown fans are living up to their reputation. Racist remarks all over the Twitter machine after Ward scores the Caps winner.

http://www.theglobea...article2414747/

Not to stand up for the Bruins twice in two days, but you can't say they're "living up to their reputation" because I don't think any team's fans have the reputation of being racist.

Wasn't Joel Ward an absolute beast in the playoffs last year? He didn't do much this year, as usual, but kinda neat that he delivers the series clinching GWG for the Caps, with the help of an ex-Bruins star. Ward is a no name in the regular season, and almost a pt-per game star in the playoffs. Gotta love those guys.

It's too bad we missed Florida vs. Phoenix in a battle of terribly supported franchises made by scraps for the Stanley Cup.

Would have been epic, but... would that even save one of the franchises?

I was at the Coyotes' final home game this season and for what it's worth, the atmosphere was great.

I was at the Coyotes' final home game this season and for what it's worth, the atmosphere was great.

I think that these teams down south have a group of very solid fans... but just not the numbers of the older/more established/further north teams.