Draft Day Discussion

dlbalr

Rutherford is just terrible. How does that deal make any sense?

Pittsburgh needed to shed money and get more depth. Neal makes $5M a year and is redundant in their lineup. Hornqvist is an underated top 6 and Spaling gives them depth.

I see Chicago doing the same with Sharp even though people on this board have laughed at me. You can't front load your top line with expensive players and not have depth through the rest of the top 9. My hope is Bergevin takes advantage of a team that wants to shed a top player for better depth, prospects and/or pick's.

Pittsburgh needed to shed money and get more depth. Neal makes $5M a year and is redundant in their lineup. Hornqvist is an underated top 6 and Spaling gives them depth.

I see Chicago doing the same with Sharp even though people on this board have laughed at me. You can't front load your top line with expensive players and not have depth through the rest of the top 9. My hope is Bergevin takes advantage of a team that wants to shed a top player for better depth, prospects and/or pick's.

I think the Pens actually took on salary with that one. As far as i'm concerned, you don't get a 6'2 PPG sniper at a discount like that every day. They have 2 of the best centers in the league too, which just makes that more of a head scratcher - although maybe they can make just about anyone look good (Dupuis).

oh, and YAY for Scherbak. He was the pick i was also hoping for.

Anyone notice how M.B doesn't mention Gionta's name amongst players that need to be resigned

He didn't mention any UFA's. In fact, he didn't mention one of the other RFA's either. They are still talking as of today so I wouldn't read much into Gionta not getting mentioned.

I think the Pens actually took on salary with that one. As far as i'm concerned, you don't get a 6'2 PPG sniper at a discount like that every day. They have 2 of the best centers in the league too, which just makes that more of a head scratcher - although maybe they can make just about anyone look good (Dupuis).

They add a bit of salary (once Spaling signs) but it fills two roster spots. The salaries of Hornqvist/Spaling should be a bit less than Neal/roster spot now taken by Spaling.

oh, and YAY for Scherbak. He was the pick i was also hoping for.

That may be true but they get two players which gives them better depth as opposed to one who doesn't fit in with how they're trying rebuild the top two lines. Plus, I think the Pens soured on Neal after his brutal playoffs.

I also like the pick for Scherbak. This could make for an awesome combo with Galchenyuk three years from now.

Day 2 kicks off tomorrow at 10 AM EST. It'll be a bit before the Habs pick (barring a trade) as they next pick at 87.

As always, I'll have a Day 2 article on the site and will be updating it throughout the day with notes, quotes, and whatever else might be relevant.

I also like the pick for Scherbak. This could make for an awesome combo with Galchenyuk three years from now.

I was also thinking the same. Lil' Russian connection there. Here's hoping they develop a good chemistry in the years to come.