NY Islanders at Montreal Canadiens | January 17th, 2015 | 1900EST

lazy26

Well...good defences of MT in the last few posts, and I agree with them. The idea that MT has no system strikes me as bizarre. This team plays a well-structured game with lots of puck support. I've seen teams with no game-plan, or who have tuned the coach out, and this is not one of them. Players know what they are supposed to be doing and mostly try to do it. The team is very good in the neutral zone especially. Adjustments get made too slowly for many around here, but they do get made, and they are often successful when implemented (e.g., look at the PP and lineup tweaks lately). When we get into trouble is in our own end, when players fail to implement instructions (getting caught out of position, etc.). Part of that has to do with mobility issues, and I'm quite confident it's not because MT has offered no defensive structure.

None of this is to say that MT is brilliant. Just that he's offering credible coaching and he has buy-in for what he is selling.

I don't know how many times I've heard the TV commentators this year remarking on the Habs as a well-coached team. Now Mike Johnson, etc., aren't the be-all and end-all, but when you hear numerous insiders and pros making the same kind of comment over and over, that probably suggests that unblinkered observers with no particular axes to grind are onto something.

No crap. Therrien has no systems, but he and his staff were extended for multiple years by a GM of the Year candidate.

Therrien is the one coach who can't stand behind PR. He's not behind the bench to appease the fan base.

No crap. Therrien has no systems, but he and his staff were extended for multiple years by a GM of the Year candidate.

Therrien is the one coach who can't stand behind PR. He's not behind the bench to appease the fan base.

So bitter.

With extensions to all coaching staff I guess Bergevin is going for stability and who can argue with general progress of team/franchise since he started managing.

With extensions to all coaching staff I guess Bergevin is going for stability and who can argue with general progress of team/franchise since he started managing.

Seems reasonable to me.

I think you're exactly right Don, stability is one thing Bergevin mentioned at the start as very important to him, in his vision of what he wanted for this team, Habs didn't have it for a while before he took over...

I think you're exactly right Don, stability is one thing Bergevin mentioned at the start as very important to him, in his vision of what he wanted for this team, Habs didn't have it for a while before he took over...

cant argue with that

thats for sure

My best friend when I was like five introduced me to hockey. He was a Leafs fan. I then went home and asked my dad about hockey. He told me more and promised to show me how to play. I then asked what team I should cheer for and how my friend was a Toronto fan. My dad replied, "Son, this is a Montreal Canadiens household." And that was that.

Hahahahaha! I am so grateful that my mom and dad had the good sense to arrange my arrival in Montreal.

Sounds like you had a wise papa!

Speaking of places I'm glad I wasn't born in......http://www.cbc.ca/sports-content/hockey/nhl/game/1443998/recap/

Boy it has gotten sad, you can't even suggest that Le Genius is less than perfect, cause out come the defenders. There are a lot of people who get paid to observe Hockey games and they have no idea what his system is, you can use the old cliche's but really what is it? Hope Price keeps you in the game till you get a goal? Eric Engels is a guy i enjoy reading, a smart hockey man. He really doesn't understand Le Genius plan. You guys see something a lot of us don't, at least not in the traditional way. I am very happy with the results, I worry about how we got them. Maybe he has a real solid system that works. I hope so. :habslogo:

Maybe his system has variation in it on purpose. Makes it a bit harder to defend doesn't it?

If Price is our best player, why not build your system around him? It's funny. Last night they talked about how the jets start out slow but show their resilience in how they better and better as the game goes on and they come back to win because of this. They praised the coach and the leadership for this. Doesnt this describe the Habs, except Price means we rarely fall behind much even if out played.

That's it...his system is just so frickin complex, that all the Armchair GMs cant even make it out.

Good god he is brilliant eh!

(Sun Tzu-like!) :nuts:

Hey sounds just as good as any other theory. I will go with that one. i don't care.

That's it...his system is just so frickin complex, that all the Armchair GMs cant even make it out.

Good god he is brilliant eh!

(Sun Tzu-like!) :nuts:

I don't find his systems complex and I hear the commentators discuss it all the time. I do see that like many coaches, he varies the strategy based on home and away, as well as who they are playing.

I don't find his systems complex and I hear the commentators discuss it all the time. I do see that like many coaches, he varies the strategy based on home and away, as well as who they are playing.

Yes on the road MT does not try match lines. At home he does.