Feb 14th, 2013 - Habs vs Panthers

bar

unlike brian burke we could just ask him to waive it. We really need a center who can win draws. Not sure what we could get for Brian but while the heart is willing, I don't see the ability anymore. Little guys wear out fast when they play like brian does.

Devils fans want him back and I bet the Devils organization wants him back. That's where the best return is going to come. Unless Montreal antes up with a Lars Eller you're not getting Adam Henrique so you might as well just shoot for a pick when trading Gionta.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One thing that should be noted with the Devils is that they were nearly in bankruptcy recently. I don't see them wanting to take on any big ticket deals, at least until they sort out the situation with their pending UFA's (Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson are the more prominent ones).

One thing that should be noted with the Devils is that they were nearly in bankruptcy recently. I don't see them wanting to take on any big ticket deals, at least until they sort out the situation with their pending UFA's (Elias, Zubrus, Clarkson are the more prominent ones).

ilya kovalchuk

Devils fans want him back and I bet the Devils organization wants him back. That's where the best return is going to come. Unless Montreal antes up with a Lars Eller you're not getting Adam Henrique so you might as well just shoot for a pick when trading Gionta.

yeah you could be right, but i think if we could get a 1st for him this year I'd take it. Deep draft. Maybe unrealistic but hes a 5 million dollar guy gotta be worth some thing to some one . rather have a decent center playing now but who knows?

Yeah, and that was signed nearly two years ago, back when they weren't on the verge of bankruptcy.

oh Brian you are just such a stikler for details. :lol::habslogo:

I think that should be totally doable. I look at team like STL as being a good fit, lots of good young players, but given some of their current struggles, they could use some veteran leadership to steer them in the right direction.

NJ would be a good fit with Gionta's history, but they are already going to lose a 1st rounder because of the kovulchuk contract, so I can't see them willing to give up another 1st rounder.

I'd want a Rivet style return for Gionta. A 1st rounder, plus a decent (but not great) prospect. Remember Gorges wasn't seen as a top guy at the time of the deal.

I think that should be totally doable. I look at team like STL as being a good fit, lots of good young players, but given some of their current struggles, they could use some veteran leadership to steer them in the right direction.

NJ would be a good fit with Gionta's history, but they are already going to lose a 1st rounder because of the kovulchuk contract, so I can't see them willing to give up another 1st rounder.

I agree that the Gio of, say, 2010 could have gotten that sort of return, but it seems to me a dodgier proposition now. Right now he's on an 18-goal pace over 82 games and has not looked especially impressive, this following an absolutely disastrous season. This is different from Rivet, who was coming off his best season when we moved him. Maybe it's the pessimist in me talking, but at this particular moment he looks more like a 2nd round pick plus a low/middling prospect than a 1st + propsect to me.

It really depends on how many prospects a team has and the value they think Gionta would bring.

STL hasa is deep in prospects, but lacks veteran leadership. They don't need Gionta to score 25 to 30 goals and would probably be satisfied with 20 in addition to the leadership and cup rings he would also be bringing.

It would also depend on where the team feels it would finish with the addition of Gionta (i.e. late 1st round) and whether they have room for the prospect they are giving up.

I agree that the Gio of, say, 2010 could have gotten that sort of return, but it seems to me a dodgier proposition now. Right now he's on an 18-goal pace over 82 games and has not looked especially impressive, this following an absolutely disastrous season. This is different from Rivet, who was coming off his best season when we moved him. Maybe it's the pessimist in me talking, but at this particular moment he looks more like a 2nd round pick plus a low/middling prospect than a 1st + propsect to me.

Rivet was coming off his best season in 05-06.... but his 06-07 season was bad. He was a healthy scratch a few times right before the deal.

Rivet was coming off his best season in 05-06.... but his 06-07 season was bad. He was a healthy scratch a few times right before the deal.

Hey, I hope I'm wrong. But I really think trades have as much to do with a guy's rep as they do with his immediate performance. That Rivet was struggling at the time of the trade was probably overruled in San Jose's mind by his awesomeness the previous year and his general track-record. A GM who wants a guy of that profile will probably chalk current struggles up to a need for a change of scenery. The opposite applies in Gio's case, where GMs will probably conclude that he's nearing the end, due to the double-whammy of a lost season PLUS current mediocrity. In short, I assert that you can have one but not both.

I said the same thing about Cammy. Yeah, he sucked last year. But current-season struggles are not enough to overrule the cumulative reputation of an established player. We should have shopped Cammy around for a return befitting the quasi-star he was perceived to be. Certainly a 1st-round pick should have been part of the package.

That said, Gio looked pretty good last night. If he can put together a nice run, it will reassure GMs and we may well be able to get the kind of return you guys want.

Cammalleri is a $6M man plus he has a limited NTC. That said, most definitely he should have been shopped and should have been traded not in the middle of the game. Then again, I still wish Cammalleri was a Hab. I liked him before he was on Montreal and never thought we could have signed him, especially since the media made it seem like a foregone conclusion he was going to Toronto. Yeah he's a one way player who relies on the power play but man there are not many players I love watching score more than him in the league. Thankfully, I get the same excitement from Gallagher.

I doubt Gio will be going to N-J. When Gio got the offer from the Habs back in 09 he told lamoriello, who quickly told him to take the offer the habs had made. Lamoriello wasn't willing to go over 3.5 million for Gio(that was 3 years ago) I seriously doubt he'd be willing to pay 5 million$ for him today.

As far as getting a 1st round pick for Gio, once again, I doubt it. Gio's stock has gone down over the past coupld of years. Yeah, he has a big heart, but It doesn't change the fact that he's 5'7" and he has some hard miles on him. My guess is that the best we can hope for is a 2nd round pick.

I am quite surprised at some of the names on here that are advocating trading Gionta. Yes, when his contact is up next year, we need to decide what to do with him before the trade deadline. However my stats would suggest we are currently in a playoff run. Therefore we would need to add assets rather than trade on hand for future. This is called tanking.

I am quite surprised at some of the names on here that are advocating trading Gionta. Yes, when his contact is up next year, we need to decide what to do with him before the trade deadline. However my stats would suggest we are currently in a playoff run. Therefore we would need to add assets rather than trade on hand for future. This is called tanking.

Trading Gio is not tanking. Trading Markov is tanking.

If you've got a young asset like Gallagher that can step in and do what Gio is doing, only much cheaper and possibly even better, then you can justifiably move the older, more expensive asset if the return is significant. If it's just a third-round pick, then forget it.

100% agree.

Trading Gionta also allows us to avoid the mistake of moving Eller and giving more ice time to some of our kids.

If you've got a young asset like Gallagher that can step in and do what Gio is doing, only much cheaper and possibly even better, then you can justifiably move the older, more expensive asset if the return is significant. If it's just a third-round pick, then forget it.

If you are getting a second or first, you are getting reduced value in the body coming back. Most of the value is in the pick. Nobody is going is going to give you something potentially as good and throw in a draft choice to boot.

I doubt Gio will be going to N-J. When Gio got the offer from the Habs back in 09 he told lamoriello, who quickly told him to take the offer the habs had made. Lamoriello wasn't willing to go over 3.5 million for Gio(that was 3 years ago) I seriously doubt he'd be willing to pay 5 million$ for him today.

Things have changed considerably since then. Zach Parise is gone, Bernier flopped under pressure and they just traded for Ponikarovsky for the vain hope of extra offence. If it wasn't for David Clarkson's emergence and Adam Henrique's return they'd be in serious trouble. Adding Gionta would be good for them. Not just that, but Montreal can make it a little lighter on their cap load if New Jersey was willing to toss in more than just a second round pick. Gionta + Montreal pays $1.5M for NJ 2nd Round Pick 2013 + Maxime Clermont or Eric Gelinas