Palushaj waived, claimed by Colorado

dlbalr

I had VERY high hopes from Gainey. IMO, he turned out to be a below average GM - in evaluating a GM, you have to look not only at their accomplishments while on the job, but also the long-term ramifications of their actions. After 2008, it was a downhill slope, where we got poor to no return for key assets and there were just too many players brought in that were mistakes. He was better then Houle, but Houle and Milbury have few peers to compare to.

I agree that one needs to look at long term results when assessing how well someone has done and the ramifications their moves may have had but I also feel like people often do it too much. Was the Semi-Final playoff run a surprise? If so, then credit needs to be given where credit is due. The point I was trying to make is that while trading for Gomez as an individual may ave been a mistake, the fact that it attracted other free agents to join the squad had a value beyond anything monetary. There are too many hypotheticals when it comes to McDonaugh and how he would have impacted the team, so I won't even touch that, but I agree that it turned out to be a bad deal on its own. I will say that we attracted proven veteran playoff performers after trading for Gomez though, so I wouldn't be able to argue that I'd prefer McDonaugh over that core myself.

When it comes to the overall picture, we went to the conference finals with the players I was referring to, lost in game 7 overtime to the eventual cup winners and then had a terrible season due in large part to GAUTHIER's mistakes. I have no problem with our current squad or Bourque, but Cammalleri was probably the greatest signing we've had in a long time and trading him away was a mistake. Had we kept Cammy, we wouldn't have Galchenyuk right now so I guess that would have been something we would have blamed Gainey for as well. Allowing Gauthier to be Gainey's successor was probably his biggest mistake. If you want to point the finger at the long term ramifications a general manager can have, take a look at Gauthier's short tenure. I hadn't started out to defend Gainey here. I was more analyzing the fact that the effect of the Gomez acquisition has to be put in context, but when I think about it, based on results, he did a fine job as GM.