Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Montreal Canadiens | February 9th, 2016 | 7:30 EST

Habsfan84

I used to defend DD as a productive second-line C.

Then I amended it to, 'productive regular-season second-line C, who can't deliver in the playoffs due to his inability to overcome the intensified checking.'

Now I'm inclined to amend it to, 'possibly useful under-sized regular-season third-line C on a team that rolls three scoring lines rather than the traditional scoring/checking/energy configuration.'

You see the trajectory here. Not inspiring.

This is a complete contradiction of your one year tank/rebuild article, just saying.

No its not.

Desharnais is a third line centre, who is capable of playing the role is not a contradiction of an article that says he is overpaid for what he brings.

If you don't understand that the player and the contract are two different things, then i don't know what to say.

I'm fine with Emelin the player as a #6 defenceman. I want emelin traded because a #6 shouldn't make $4.1 million.

See the difference?

Good news about the win last night. Habs got to Bishop and he gave up 4 goals. He has been a hard nut to crack and now

looks human. Have to give Ben Scrivens credit. He has come back big time after 4 loses to put the Canadien`s back into the

hunt. The all-star break really has proven to be a good thing. The little breather must have given the team a much needed chance

to regroup and find their centre again. Awsome!!

Desharnais has been compared to Sam Gagner.

Its probably pretty accurate.

would I trade Desharnais and sign Sam Gagner for 1.5 million and make him my third line center? Absolutely i would. Getting a very similar player at less than half the price would be great and give two million extra to put in top 6 talent.

(just a hypothetical).

would I trade Desharnais and sign Sam Gagner for 1.5 million and make him my third line center? Absolutely i would. Getting a very similar player at less than half the price would be great and give two million extra to put in top 6 talent.

(just a hypothetical).

Not a bad idea, that - assuming you could move DD.

(just a hypothetical).

I just want to know who is taking dd, cause right now 4 rolls of mediocre tape aught to do it.

I just want to know who is taking dd, cause right now 4 rolls of mediocre tape aught to do it.

As I said it was just a hypothetical.

It was more to illustrate that DD is still a third line player, even if I would trade him due to the contract.

It was more to illustrate that DD is still a third line player, even if I would trade him due to the contract.

I agree with your idea, but Mad Mike Milbury ain't gm'ing any more.

I didn't even say it was likely to happen (or even plausible).

Just was to illustrate the difference between player and contract.

I know and I was trying to be funny, sorry you missed it.

I'm starting to disagree after listening to Brian Wilde on Marinaro's show.

DD has seven points in his last thirty-three games with a -13. He's on the first power play unit, and often leads all centers in ice times. Four poweplay points all year.

Now he has Pacioretty on his wing and they're stinking the place out. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on waivers by this time next year.

DD has seven points in his last thirty-three games with a -13. He's on the first power play unit, and often leads all centers in ice times. Four poweplay points all year.

Now he has Pacioretty on his wing and they're stinking the place out. I wouldn't be surprised if he's on waivers by this time next year.

On the third line, he'd face third pairing defencemen. He was doing allright with that earlier in the year.

He can't face top 4 D pairs.

Those numbers are atrocious. Absolutely, entirely abysmal. It really speaks to the dearth of C talent on this team that this is what we're throwing out there. Gawd.

Those numbers are atrocious. Absolutely, entirely abysmal. It really speaks to the dearth of C talent on this team that this is what we're throwing out there. Gawd.

I totally agree. That's why I don't see trading Plekanec as a viable option. Even if it means gaining a strong right winger. DD and Eller just aren't top six players on a contending team. Galchenyuk is not yet, and may never be a top six Centre. He is a top six winger at least. Trading Plek would leave Montreal with no top six centers. Plek is not a number one center on a contending team. The biggest need on this roster is also the hardest to fill. A number one center.

I'd rather Eller centering our third line. Won't get as many points, but less of a defensive liability.

Its 6 of one, half dozen of the other.

Less goals for and Less goals against

or

More goals for and More goals against.

Either way, both are capable of doing the job, and both are overpaid for the job.

I trade whichever one i can and deal with the fallout afterwards. Heck if by some miracle i could deal both, i'd do it.

I totally agree. That's why I don't see trading Plekanec as a viable option. Even if it means gaining a strong right winger. DD and Eller just aren't top six players on a contending team. Galchenyuk is not yet, and may never be a top six Centre. He is a top six winger at least. Trading Plek would leave Montreal with no top six centers. Plek is not a number one center on a contending team. The biggest need on this roster is also the hardest to fill. A number one center.

Yeah. I was saying for a while there that we should trade Pleks, because the return could be significant and his contract is ominous. But you and Commandant have made what seems like a pretty air-tight case against that, especially if it looks as though Galy will not become a stud C in the short term. The real issue is not trading Pleks per se, it's upgrading at the C position. Even if we don't get the archetypical #1 C - the Getzlaf or Kopitar - we still need someone who represents a serious upgrade on DD in the top-6. If it's not gonna be Galy, then it has to come from outside the organization.