Tonight's game GDT Montréal - Boston

JoeLassister

Moen has been one of our best players all season and AK sucked tonight.

Moen is usually a very defensively responsible guy, but he made one mistake tonight.

If he had scored a goal on that shift instead, would you still be questionning his ice time?

Its cherry picking stats... there is a different coaching decision that you disagree with every night.

Martin's gone....and yet we are still into the minutiae of coaching, and the little individual decisions over the course of a game.

At this point, I'd rather build for next year. This year is done. Had they gotton a coach that was bringing a different message, we might have had a chance. Now, even if we do get into the playoffs by squeaking in again, does anyone honestly think we have a chance against the bruins or Flyers???

Poor choice. Most of the guys who have no future with the club will have the most value at the deadline, and if a GM starts a firesale before that point, he isn't doing a good job.

At the trade deadline, if we aren't in a playoff position, we should build for next year.

If we start before that, we're more likely to:

1) Take back a dead-weight contract in a trade in order to let the opposing team stay cap/budget compliant

2) Get lesser value back for an asset from a team who isn't desperate for a strong playoff push

3) Sends a message to the Habs free agents that they aren't trying to win, and give them less of an incentive to sign (ex: Gorges, Emelin)

Since last spring and repeatedly throughout the year I've been saying he belongs on the wing. While homer is out, I'd rather have Cammy at centre over DD.

David Desharnais. 2 Faceoffs won... 13 faceoffs lost tonight.

The trade deadline is what I'm referring to - see my other post. I think that at this point you start planting the seeds and build up an auction, rather then PG's usual KGB approach.

If we continue losing like this, I also think you try and help the guys you want to move pad their numbers as you get closer to the deadline. Go to CAmmy and tell him, if you dint like it here, start producing and I'll move you to a contender.

Poor choice. Most of the guys who have no future with the club will have the most value at the deadline, and if a GM starts a firesale before that point, he isn't doing a good job.

At the trade deadline, if we aren't in a playoff position, we should build for next year.

If we start before that, we're more likely to:

1) Take back a dead-weight contract in a trade in order to let the opposing team stay cap/budget compliant

2) Get lesser value back for an asset from a team who isn't desperate for a strong playoff push

3) Sends a message to the Habs free agents that they aren't trying to win, and give them less of an incentive to sign (ex: Gorges, Emelin)

No - its not a decision I'm disagreeing with - its the coaching philosophy. Nothing has changed between Martin and cunner worth - cunneworth is just a Martin clone.

Same BS of over playing 4th liners over skilled players. Ak46 has been one of the most consistent players all year. If he had made the pass omen made he would be sitting out the next three games and even if he did play, it would be for8-9 minutes. Martin and

Cunneworth have different standards for their favorite players then the guys they don't like. Barring injury, there is no way that a darche or moen should be getting more ice time then any one of AK46, Eller, cole, maxpac, DD, cammy, let alone ALL of them on two consecutive nights. A guy like AK46 at least offers a chance to score, but I guess it's more important to just stay one goal down, then to tie up the game - oh yeah , actually the dumbass play by moen did result in us being two goals down.

Btw, The habs generally do get dominated by the bruins on face offs, so it's no surprise. DD was so bad (particularly when he is suited for the wing). Who scored though - darche, moen - oh yeah it was cole, with a assist from DD,

Moen has been one of our best players all season and AK sucked tonight.

Moen is usually a very defensively responsible guy, but he made one mistake tonight.

If he had scored a goal on that shift instead, would you still be questionning his ice time?

Its cherry picking stats... there is a different coaching decision that you disagree with every night.

Martin's gone....and yet we are still into the minutiae of coaching, and the little individual decisions over the course of a game.

No - its not a decision I'm disagreeing with - its the coaching philosophy. Nothing has changed between Martin and cunner worth - cunneworth is just a Martin clone.

Same BS of over playing 4th liners over skilled players. Ak46 has been one of the most consistent players all year. If he had made the pass omen made he would be sitting out the next three games and even if he did play, it would be for8-9 minutes. Martin and

Cunneworth have different standards for their favorite players then the guys they don't like. Barring injury, there is no way that a darche or moen should be getting more ice time then any one of AK46, Eller, cole, maxpac, DD, cammy, let alone ALL of them on two consecutive nights. A guy like AK46 at least offers a chance to score, but I guess it's more important to just stay one goal down, then to tie up the game - oh yeah , actually the dumbass play by moen did result in us being two goals down.

Btw, The habs generally do get dominated by the bruins on face offs, so it's no surprise. DD was so bad (particularly when he is suited for the wing). Who scored though - darche, moen - oh yeah it was cole, with a assist from DD,

Basically, unless the coach shares your exact philosophy and minute-by-minute game decisions (which you declaim upon without knowing the full picture, of course) he is a boob who should be fired. Gotcha.

• Upvote 1

Whatever dude.... I get it... its always the coaches' fault, and random people on hockey message boards could do a much better job than the guys who have been life long NHLers and Pro level coaches for the last 10 years in Cunneyworth; or 20+ years in Martin. Not just you, but there are thousands out here.

1. Same BS of over playing 4th liners over skilled players.

2. A guy like AK46 at least offers a chance to score, but I guess it's more important to just stay one goal down, then to tie up the game - oh yeah , actually the dumbass play by moen did result in us being two goals down.

I've pulled out the talking points I want to address from your post.

1. We haven't played with a fourth line in weeks. Generally, Martin was using three guys 5 minutes or less very often. That RC is using a fourth line means other players are going to get less tired. In this respect, I disagree with what you've said. Normally, you'd always like to see your better players play more, but in some cases the third and fourth lines need to be your go-to guys, including against teams who are bigger and more physical like the Broons. Might as well get our big guys out there to wear down the opposition a little and take that pressure of the first lines.

2. Moen is a normally reliable player. Honestly, if it were possible, I'd want him here next year as the anchor for the fourth line. Hell, if we could get healthy, I think he should anchor it now. As for AK, yes, he scores much more consistently this season. However when he's bad..... you know that smell you get when you eat too many vegetables with beans and beer and sour cream and onion chips and red meat, then you start your gassy moments? Yeah. He still has those.

So you have no issues that our most physical dman isn't even in the lineup against the big bad broons???

I wouldn't mind having Moen back IF he was going to play on the 4th line and get 4th line minutes. However too often during the last 2 1/2 years - even without injuries he has been on the top two lines.

I also think that if we are out at the deadline he represents a guy we could get value for from a contendender, looking for a 4th line depth energy player - the big difference being that they will actually use him for the role he is suited for.

I've pulled out the talking points I want to address from your post.

1. We haven't played with a fourth line in weeks. Generally, Martin was using three guys 5 minutes or less very often. That RC is using a fourth line means other players are going to get less tired. In this respect, I disagree with what you've said. Normally, you'd always like to see your better players play more, but in some cases the third and fourth lines need to be your go-to guys, including against teams who are bigger and more physical like the Broons. Might as well get our big guys out there to wear down the opposition a little and take that pressure of the first lines.

2. Moen is a normally reliable player. Honestly, if it were possible, I'd want him here next year as the anchor for the fourth line. Hell, if we could get healthy, I think he should anchor it now. As for AK, yes, he scores much more consistently this season. However when he's bad..... you know that smell you get when you eat too many vegetables with beans and beer and sour cream and onion chips and red meat, then you start your gassy moments? Yeah. He still has those.

So you have no issues that our most physical dman isn't even in the lineup against the big bad broons???

I wouldn't mind having Moen back IF he was going to play on the 4th line and get 4th line minutes. However too often during the last 2 1/2 years - even without injuries he has been on the top two lines.

I also think that if we are out at the deadline he represents a guy we could get value for from a contendender, looking for a 4th line depth energy player - the big difference being that they will actually use him for the role he is suited for.

If the only place was on the right for Emelin, then I don't necessarily mind him being out against the best team in hockey. Until he learns the right a little better, he's probably better off not losing all confidence having a horror against Boston. Love the hitting, of course, but that isn't the only thing necessary in hockey.

Yes, at the deadline Moen represents good value. I would suppose it would depend on how you evaluated the Habs at that point, whether or not you trade him. If you feel you can move some parts and have a contender next season, I keep Moen. If you decide it's re-build time, you move him. I don't think we're anywhere close to a re-build.

Another day another loss. I wonder if they will win before 2012.

Wow, the defense had so many turnovers last night, led to 2 goals and i have no idea what Gorges was doing on the third. You were standing right next to the guy on the faceoff.

i thought it was funny when the Bruins announcers were commenting that they were shocked that Emelin wasn't in the lineup, they said how much they liked his game and how phyisical he was. too bad know one on the coaching staff realizes that. They commented how good they were at stick checking but never get into physical play. I couldn't agree more.

The good news is they kepp heading towards a lottery pick.

Moen is a good useful player i said trade him for franson not because he sucks. he is a ufa and will get a rise which we can't afford to give him so he should try to get something for him. Yes he cost us a goal but he has won us some games this year as well. Coach wise lets give him a chance if we win a few in a row then he is a hero. I for one think we are a decent team just need a very changes or better yet just a few guy's healthy.

I think we may see Budaj get the Chicago game and let Price have the Winnipeg (in-conference) one though this one was definitely not on Price.

I guessed right this time (about time). Budaj gets the nod tomorrow. I suspect practice today had some focus on shoring up the breakouts, short and simple passes to start the transition game. It's a little more protect-oriented but with Budaj starting, simple is good.

Incidentally, those who see Cunneyworth as just another boring Martin Mini-Me might want to note his postgame comment::

Cunneyworth said the Canadiens hurt themselves by not forcing the offence until late in the game.

“Offensively, we have to just get pucks on the net early and make him make a save with a good drive. We had to persuade the guys to do that. It didn’t come to them naturally,” said Cunneyworth.

“Persuading them to do that made them realize we were getting opportunities, getting second chances,” he added. “You’re not going to beat goalies at this level with those first shots. It’s those second and third shots and once we got them, we put them at risk. If we can start that, it will take of itself.”

Read more: http://www.montrealg...l#ixzz1h6o0vf6O

Interesting, I think.

I have moved on from last game.

Randy has now had a couple of skates and a full practice.

He is far away from Montreal and the next 10 days should be very telling.

I would like to see a much stronger and permanent forecheck and I read all these reasons to have your 4th line play this much and it just does not make sense to me to have 4th line wingers getting more ES minutes than your top 4 wingers unless you are up by 5 or 9 goals, which happens for these Canadiens about twice a year.

PLAY YOUR HORSES COLE/PATCH/KOSTITSYN And use your big centre ELLER to punish teams in the offensive zone. use them for cycle shifts after lets say an icing,

The 4th line should take as close to 0 offensive zone face offs as possible.

Its kind of funny with all the angst over Cunneyworth. Whether he is great or just a JM clone, it sure looks like he is gone in the summer. Why worry about it then.

I suspect Cunneyworth will be using the rest of the season as his resume. He knows he's about as likely to keep the Montreal position as he is to be named Prime Minister, so he might as well make the best of it and get hired by someone else. The x-factor is how well the Habs do and how much crow people will have to eat when he leaves. I, for one, believe this team to be significantly better than they've shown, and I can see then finishing the season very strongly, if motivated to do so. It would do me no end of pleasure to watch Montreal go deep into the playoffs after a brilliant run, then see Cunneyworth fired and hear the outcry from the French media because the team was winning.

This is like the good old Koivu days. The team is quickly becoming a laughing-stock franchise once again. All this completely stupid talk about language and politics. It's embarrassing. Interesting that Koivu was bitched out on a regular basis and yet Gionta seems to get a pass. Or is he doing interviews in French and I'm missing them?

Colin...The people here in QC that have a problem with the English coach, are blissfully unaware that people in the rest of Canada may be laughing at them . They simply don't care. Many of these same people don't even feel Canadian. Many of these same people placed a separatist party as the official opposition in Ottawa. That's just the way it is. You know how the Leafs are the darlings of the CBC? Well, many here don't watch that network. And to them the Leafs are a crappy team that never wins anything. On the flip side, a lot of this is media driven. Just like referendum results. Many francophones voted no, and many francophones just want to win.

Colin...The people here in QC that have a problem with the English coach, are blissfully unaware that people in the rest of Canada may be laughing at them . They simply don't care. Many of these same people don't even feel Canadian. Many of these same people placed a separatist party as the official opposition in Ottawa. That's just the way it is. You know how the Leafs are the darlings of the CBC? Well, many here don't watch that network. And to them the Leafs are a crappy team that never wins anything. On the flip side, a lot of this is media driven. Just like referendum results. Many francophones voted no, and many francophones just want to win.

Oh, I know this is mostly a media creation. Nothing like the media for blowing things out of proportion.

I suspect Cunneyworth will be using the rest of the season as his resume. He knows he's about as likely to keep the Montreal position as he is to be named Prime Minister, so he might as well make the best of it and get hired by someone else. The x-factor is how well the Habs do and how much crow people will have to eat when he leaves. I, for one, believe this team to be significantly better than they've shown, and I can see then finishing the season very strongly, if motivated to do so. It would do me no end of pleasure to watch Montreal go deep into the playoffs after a brilliant run, then see Cunneyworth fired and hear the outcry from the French media because the team was winning.

This is like the good old Koivu days. The team is quickly becoming a laughing-stock franchise once again. All this completely stupid talk about language and politics. It's embarrassing. Interesting that Koivu was bitched out on a regular basis and yet Gionta seems to get a pass. Or is he doing interviews in French and I'm missing them?

Gionta says Merci and introduced some players in French.

Something apparently Koivu said no to.

not that I agree with it I love Koivu.

FTFM