Permanent Trade Proposal Thread

dlbalr

Unless Edmonton GM Craig MacTavish truly proves to be an imbecile I don't see anyone getting Yakupov for cheap. Or at least not without another top five pick going the other way. If it wasn't for Columbus' tumultuous relationship with Russians I'd say a first overall for second overall swap could happen.

I think if Edmonton trades him they would want a stud defenceman back further ahead in development than Nurse. How many teams out there need a young scoring winger over a young stud defenceman?

I'd make that move before blinking. I can't see Edmonton making the deal.

What do you guys think of Plekanec for Eberle?

Of course, this would leave a huge Pleks-shaped hole, but given their respective ages and Eberle being a scoring RW it could be a big move to build a long-term contender. Pleks would be incredibly valuable to the Oilers.

Edmonton would probably be at the top of Pleks' no-trade list, however.

Yeah, it would probably take more to pry Eberle away. Edmonton recently dumped Horcoff, who some fans consider 'their Plekanec' (although he's nowhere near as good).

I could see Pleks being the central part of the package for Eberle, however. They can't really hope to get a player with equal scoring potential for their young guns, but they can get someone who improves their overall team play, and Pleks would fit the bill.

The gap between pleks and Horcoff is much larger than the gap between pleks and Datysuk.

I really think there is a good fit in a trade of pleks and gorges to the Jets. That's the deal I think MT should have been targeting before the jets coaching change.

Yeah, it would probably take more to pry Eberle away. Edmonton recently dumped Horcoff, who some fans consider 'their Plekanec' (although he's nowhere near as good).

I could see Pleks being the central part of the package for Eberle, however. They can't really hope to get a player with equal scoring potential for their young guns, but they can get someone who improves their overall team play, and Pleks would fit the bill.

• 2 months later...

I don't see Eberle as the type/style of player this team is looking for to complete the puzzle. If we're looking at players of that level I would be much more interested in a ROR type guy.

If it wasn't for Columbus' tumultuous relationship with Russians I'd say a first overall for second overall swap could happen.

I don't think CBJ would touch that deal with a 10 foot pole, I think they are very happy with the player they have while Yak still has the potential to turn into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.

ROR?

I don't see Eberle as the type/style of player this team is looking for to complete the puzzle. If we're looking at players of that level I would be much more interested in a ROR type guy.

I don't think CBJ would touch that deal with a 10 foot pole, I think they are very happy with the player they have while Yak still has the potential to turn into one of the biggest busts in recent memory.

ROR?

Would love to get him, but I think that ship sailed. I can't see us being able to get him, without a package that would include Gallaghar AND Tinordi or Beaulieu.

Would love to get him, but I think that ship sailed. I can't see us being able to get him, without a package that would include Gallaghar AND Tinordi or Beaulieu.

I agree that ROR is not worth that package. That would be a terrible deal for us. It would shore up one weakeness and create another. No thanks

If we could get him for Pleks and Gorges, I'd do that in a hearbeat.

I agree that ROR is not worth that package. That would be a terrible deal for us. It would shore up one weakeness and create another. No thanks

Guest Stogey24

If we could get him for Pleks and Gorges, I'd do that in a hearbeat.

Oh God ya. I think we could have sent Markov and a pick to the Avs and got him. Not something I would do though.

If we trade Pleks, who lines up against other teams' top lines? Lars Eller? OK...and what happens if we see Lars Eller from January rather than Lars Eller from May? Just asking.

At some point, you have to roll the dice on the player. Players are going to have peaks and valley's during the development cycle as they develop confidence in their abilities and get experience to handle and respond to adversity.

Back when everyone wanted to trade Pleks, during his "I played like a little girl" playoffs and his disaster year before his UFA year, I was defending Pleks and pushing hard to sign him long-term. I think Eller is in a similar situation now.

In Eller I see a bigger, more physical Pleks with more skill, but at this stage not quite as much hockey sense (which I think will come once he gets more experience and confidence in himself). I think he can be a solid 2nd centre and needs to be given a chance.

Pleks on the other hand, is a dependable #2 who is getting #1 minutes. I think he is showing a downward slide. THis year, with all the talk about the need for veteran experience, it's the experienced guys that have really hurt us in a lot of games - dumb penalties, lazy/cute plays and plain horrible decision making. At some point you have to forget about how good a player has been for us in the past and look towards the future and be ruthless by cutting the cord.

Moving Pleks is not like letting Koivu go. Koivu was the heart of the team, who should never have been replaced with gomer pyle. Pleks has been a solid foot soldier whose best days are behind him and in this playoff run, he has not acted like a role model or leader for our kids at all.

We are in a situation right now where we have DD, Pleks, Eller, Briere as our centres, with Galchanyek waiting and Prust/White capable of playing centre. I think we HAVE to finally give Galchenyuk his chance now. If he succeeds, and if we move eller slides to a number 3 role.

Galchenyuk is never going to get a real chance if we don't move Pleks. RIght now the return for Pleks could fill the big hole of a top 6 wing (that hole becomes biggerr once Galchenyuk is moved to centre). If we wait longer, a return for Pleks is going to be a 3rd liner.

Guest Stogey24

At some point, you have to roll the dice on the player. Players are going to have peaks and valley's during the development cycle as they develop confidence in their abilities and get experience to handle and respond to adversity.

Back when everyone wanted to trade Pleks, during his "I played like a little girl" playoffs and his disaster year before his UFA year, I was defending Pleks and pushing hard to sign him long-term. I think Eller is in a similar situation now.

In Eller I see a bigger, more physical Pleks with more skill, but at this stage not quite as much hockey sense (which I think will come once he gets more experience and confidence in himself). I think he can be a solid 2nd centre and needs to be given a chance.

Pleks on the other hand, is a dependable #2 who is getting #1 minutes. I think he is showing a downward slide. THis year, with all the talk about the need for veteran experience, it's the experienced guys that have really hurt us in a lot of games - dumb penalties, lazy/cute plays and plain horrible decision making. At some point you have to forget about how good a player has been for us in the past and look towards the future and be ruthless by cutting the cord.

Moving Pleks is not like letting Koivu go. Koivu was the heart of the team, who should never have been replaced with gomer pyle. Pleks has been a solid foot soldier whose best days are behind him and in this playoff run, he has not acted like a role model or leader for our kids at all.

We are in a situation right now where we have DD, Pleks, Eller, Briere as our centres, with Galchanyek waiting and Prust/White capable of playing centre. I think we HAVE to finally give Galchenyuk his chance now. If he succeeds, and if we move eller slides to a number 3 role.

Galchenyuk is never going to get a real chance if we don't move Pleks. RIght now the return for Pleks could fill the big hole of a top 6 wing (that hole becomes biggerr once Galchenyuk is moved to centre). If we wait longer, a return for Pleks is going to be a 3rd liner.

Yup, good post

I suggested this in the offseason thread, might as well try it here:

Plekanec

Prust

Tokarski

to Winnipeg for Evander Kane.

Don't you think Winnipeg could get more than that for Kane? A broken-down fourth-liner, a high-quality two-way C beginning the downward slide, and a raw rookie goalie who has spent five years in the minors?

• Upvote 1

Plekanec as the #1 shut-down defending centre is being replaced by who? If Bergevin is signing Paul Stastny than OK makes sense (but other than Stastny no UFA centres near Plekanecs quality).

Highly unlikely he will do that as well as trade for Kane and deal with all he own FAs.

I just cant in anyway see Plekanec being traded, but who knows.

Moan, Bourque, Nygren, Leblanc or a goalie I could see being traded for a pick or two and maybe add a UFA like Legwand/Hemsky/Vrbata/Moulson/Michalek?

I guess DD gets a free pass here. I would like to see Galchenuk/ Eller (whomever is your future #1 center) get the benefit of the top wingers all year long. I don't see DD as more than a #2 and quite frankly believe Plekanec is a better choice. I have had enough of the little engine that could. I don't want to be debating whether my first line center will make it over the hill, I want my first line center to plough the hill over.

Don't you think Winnipeg could get more than that for Kane? A broken-down fourth-liner, a high-quality two-way C beginning the downward slide, and a raw rookie goalie who has spent five years in the minors?

Prust's perceived value is still higher than his actual value, because of his attitude and pugnacity. Some teams out there would be willing to overpay for him to facilitate a culture change, just like we did.

Tokarski's value is probably the highest it'll ever be (like Halak's was), and I could see Winnipeg looking for a guy like him to pressure Pavelec.

I think you're being harsh on Pleks - his downward slide has not yet started to my eyes, but it would definitely be a win-now kind of move from the Jets. Maybe we'd have to include a good young player like Bournival (who I'd hate to see go).

i think moving forward plex can and should slot in as our #3 checking centre, a position he should have occupied each of the last 5 seasons. he is our best PK'er and has the ability to shut down the competition. add 15-20 goals a year and you got one of the best 3rd line centre's in hockey.

i understand he's making 5 million per but on a team sitting 6th in cap space isn't much of an issue (with 7 players to sign i think?). not to mention the new rogers tv deal pushing the cap even higher the season after next!

You know, with the glut at C and the dearth of talent at W, the really obvious thing to do is to move one of (likely) Eller or (rather less likely) DD to the wing. That'd potentially solve two problems at once and could conceivably remove the need for a trade. I guess the question is whether it'd muck up Eller's development.

You know, with the glut at C and the dearth of talent at W, the really obvious thing to do is to move one of (likely) Eller or (rather less likely) DD to the wing. That'd potentially solve two problems at once and could conceivably remove the need for a trade. I guess the question is whether it'd muck up Eller's development.

CC, good point about the glut at Center, but I think Eller at center is the answer, not on the wing, development being the point, as well as the needs of the team. Eller has stated once again, that he thinks he can be a top 6 player, and his desire is to play at center is his goal. Not saying he wouldn't play wing, but his problem all season, in my opinion, was he wasn't used in accordance to the development he sees as his future.

I think Pleks should be the odd man out at center, and a trade candidate, not because he isn't one of our top players, but because he could bring the most return to help the team going forward. There's no way I would be disappointed if he is a Hab for life, but it has to be in a 3rd line center role, with the likes of Moen and Gionta as wingers, as he cannot be relied on for offense, and in reality is not a top 2 centerman.

In my perfect off season, I would see DD traded to allow for Galchenyuk and Eller as top two at C, Plek as 3rd, and White/Briere as 4th line C's, but that's probably not going to happen, granted. The emergence of Bournival as a legitimate NHL'er who can also play center, which again makes Plek expendable, considering the return on him, it's the tough decision to let go of Plek, but to make the team more complete, it's the right one.

Just my opinion, but I'm tired of the same old same old, depend on Pleks to score more than the great players he is playing against, it's a weakness of this team to not have that scoring on the top 2 lines, and a 5 million dollar 3rd line C..... and we really need a 5 million dollar D man more than Plekanec's defensive prowess....

Don't get me wrong, I love the guy, and think he is a complete player, has character, and is a life long Hab, who has earned his keep in spades, but he is not going to lead this team to the promised land, through the thick bog that is the NHL playoffs. He disappears from the score sheet too often in spring, and we have greater needs to improve this team for the future, than his defensive game. The object of the game is still to score more goals that the other team, and we lost 1-0 in the game before golf season....