Briere to Habs - 2 years, $4M/year

HabsTrick450

Right now only source I found is Nicolas Poulin of 25Stanley via Alain Sanscartier, hockey analyst for Ottawa 94,5 FM and RDS collaborator. Nothing official yet, so stay tuned.

Not sure how I feel about this. The price isn't that high and if Brière can stay healthy and consistent he will be a big help. However, we have a lot of small forwards now which leads me to believe Captain Gionta may be on his way out. If not him, i'm sure that a trade is in the works. Hopefully we can get some size in any upcoming transaction.

Ehh, I've stated before I feel this is not a great fit. Maybe if DD or Gionta is on the way out, but even then, it seems more like a side step. I can see this making sense if DD is dealt, in the same way MB made a somewhat sideways move in dealing Cole for Ryder for alleviate cap pressure down the road.

As it stands, we have 5 centers for our top 3.

Really annoyed by the people in the media confirming "stuff they heard".

Then again, that shows you if it doesn't come from LeBrun or McKenzie it probably hasn't happened. LeBrun got a text from Daniel Briere himself.

Well hey, they want to get the big scoop, that how you get started in the media and become respected like McKenzie and Lebrun. You can't blame them! But then again, if you report too many false scoops, you lose cred.

Well hey, they want to get the big scoop, that how you get started in the media and become respected like McKenzie and Lebrun. You can't blame them! But then again, if you report too many false scoops, you lose cred.

I have a journalism diploma behind me. Oh yes I do blame them ;)

25Stanley is not anything resembling a reputable source. That term/figure was floated out there by another person who invents a lot of reports as well. It may very well turn out to be true (real reporters have them as a finalist) but I'll wait for something a lot more credible.

25Stanley is not anything resembling a reputable source. That term/figure was floated out there by another person who invents a lot of reports as well. It may very well turn out to be true (real reporters have them as a finalist) but I'll wait for something a lot more credible.

Reason why I said still nothing official, I don't consider 25Stanley a reputable source myself. But it's still a way to start the hype train!

For the record, Briere is free to declare that he has agreed to terms, similar to what Lecavalier did. The contracts, however, cannot officially be signed by tomorrow. Players that are UFA's as of noon EST tomorrow, are free to interview with prospective new teams but technically are not able to negotiate/agree to terms on a deal. So it probably could be announced tonight by the insiders although the Habs/Preds/whoever gets him will not formally be able to confirm.

Per LeBrun just now:

Habs are still waiting to find out if they got Briere...

https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/statuses/352880550551371776

I have a journalism diploma behind me. Oh yes I do blame them ;)

Fair enough. I just meant that they're trying to do their job while agreeing with you that if it's done excessively, citing things that have been heard gets annoying.

Reason why I said still nothing official, I don't consider 25Stanley a reputable source myself. But it's still a way to start the hype train!

It's a rumour then, should have gone in that thread. Only confirmed signings (or least rumours from reputable sources) should be getting their own threads. And to 25Stanley's credit, they did break the Prust signing last year so they're not always wrong.

It's a rumour then, should have gone in that thread. Only confirmed signings (or least rumours from reputable sources) should be getting their own threads. And to 25Stanley's credit, they did break the Prust signing last year so they're not always wrong.

Yeah, but I doubt Brière's boyfriend is part of the Québec's showbizz...

Edit : or maybe he actually is...

Fair enough. I just meant that they're trying to do their job while agreeing with you that if it's done excessively, citing things that have been heard gets annoying.

It's right now a big problem in journalism that editors today believe they want information now and that what hits Twitter/Facebook/Internet first means more than accuracy. Right now, journalists are expected to write their stories in the form of tweets without any editors seeing it or anyone source checking things. This is why traditional media is failing, it has no idea how to use new media. It's funny because they are convinced being first is being the best but nobody remembers who first leaked things these days. They just remember when Pierre LeBrun or Bob McKenzie confirm it. People with extremely strong backgrounds in credibility and accuracy.

Someone on Facebook mentioned four news stations were being told to report Briere as done. In a just world, the four editors of those news stations would be on the street.

If Briere hasn't agreed to terms, I'm sure the backlash on twitter will be enough to convince him to sign elsewhere lol.

• Upvote 1

Apparently Pleky is a name that's coming up a lot in trade talk.

Of course he is. He's an excellent center with some of the best defensive play for any forward.

Trading him and not Desharnais would be a Gillis move. "Can't get a good deal for this guy so I'll trade the better player!"

Doubt Bergevin is like that. Certainly hope not.