Next Year: Who Goes, Who Stays?

Currently, the Montreal Canadiens have ten forwards, two goalies and three defenseman under contract for next year. There should be an impressive amount of roster tunrover. Who goes and who stays?

RFA

Lars Eller

Dale Weise

Ryan White

PK Subban

Dustin Tokarski

Louis Leblanc

UFA

Mike Weaver

Douglas Murray

Francis Bouillon

Andrei Markov

George Parros

Brian Gionta

Thomas Vanek

The Habs have a projected cap surplus of 27 million dollars under a 71 million dollar cap. An interesting tidbit to keep in mind is that the following year, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Galchenyuk, Gallagher and Bournival will all end their ELCs.

Despite all the negativity on this board, I think the Habs are doing a good job preparing for this.

1) they have been bringing AHL'ers with expiring contract up to the NHL on a regular basis

2) they have tweaked the NHL club by adding UFAs without ging up too much

3) they have not rushed their prospects up

I think the following UFAs walk: Weaver, Murray, Bouillon, Parros, Gionta

I think they will resign all their RFAs, and they will give a decent chance to make the NHL roster to those that cannot be sent down.

This should free roster spots for Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn; and it should free enough cap space for Suban, Markov, Vanek; but I have not checked that.

Now, if only we could move Briere and Moen this summer :unsure:

Despite all the negativity on this board, I think the Habs are doing a good job preparing for this.

1) they have been bringing AHL'ers with expiring contract up to the NHL on a regular basis

I think they will resign all their RFAs, and they will give a decent chance to make the NHL roster to those that cannot be sent down.

This should free roster spots for Tinordi, Beaulieu, Pateryn; and it should free enough cap space for Suban, Markov, Vanek; but I have not checked that.

maybe you forgot Vanek? the odds of him staying are not good.

Do folks really expect us to break in BOTH Tinordi and Beaulieu next season? Two nearly raw rookies on the back end seems like dodgy practice to me; I think we'd need at least one seasoned veteran in the mix with those two. Weaver might do nicely. I like Murray, but I'm kinda tired with the endless arguments about his limitations, and if Tinordi is indeed in the works, then he becomes expendable.

Perhaps this isn't wholly rational, but I agree that Gio needs to go. Yes, he has been a fine captain who plays big and has grit and character, but he is clearly in a decline and unless DD or Briere are on the way out, we're still built too small for my liking, especially if Vanek walks. (And don't give me this "MOAR BIGGER" stuff; I'm a big fan of small, feisty players, but I can't believe that we cannot either replace what Gio now brings with a cheaper youngster like Bournival or get comparable offence from a bigger body). Psychologically, too, letting Gio walk feels like turning the page once and for all on Gainey Rebuild 2.0.

If MB signs Vanek, then that becomes his "big move" to correct organizational deficiencies and put us on the path to contention in the short term. The rest is about continued development from young guys and maybe one more canny acquisition on the back end. If Vanek goes elsewhere - and with all their prospects it's not self-evident that Minny is going to want to lock in to yet another massively expensive long-term UFA deal - then we're back to where we were: with an organization that probably does not have the pieces to become a genuine contender within 2-3 years and needs to do something major to fix that.

Do folks really expect us to break in BOTH Tinordi and Beaulieu next season?

If they win their spots on the 3rd pairing, sure. For me Tinordi is almost there. But they need to win their spots

If I was going to guess I'd say that most, if not all the RFA's get resigned and none of the UFA's except for Markov get signed. I can see them parting ways with Gionta although I wouldn't mind him back at a reduced rate and role.

If I was going to guess I'd say that most, if not all the RFA's get resigned and none of the UFA's except for Markov get signed. I can see them parting ways with Gionta although I wouldn't mind him back at a reduced rate and role.

See how Gionta does in next 25-35games, but I would assume he will be back and is fine by me.

It may actually be less then $71M because of the falling loonie. I read it will probably be around $69M

I'd keep all of the RFA's - Subban is a no brainer. I'd also lock up White for around 4 or 5 years if we can sign him cheap.

I'd keep Markov and if we can get a reasonable salary/term for Vanek, try to get him, but I won't hold my breath hoping.

I'd say adios to the following:

Mike Weaver (depending on what happens with the rest of the D, if he is cheap, may not be bad as a 7th)

Douglas Murray (may not be bad as a 7th if no one else is out there, depending on other moves)

Francis Bouillon

George Parros

Brian Gionta

I'd also try also try and package DD and Gorges as part of a package to upgrade the top 6 forwards or top 4 Dmen.

However, MT needs to give a hard look at Tinordi and Beaulieu for the remainder of this year, to figure out what role they can play next year. I'd also rather go in the playoffs with those to than Bouillon, Murray and Weaver.

Anaheim broke two rookies out this season. Did fine for them.

We also got two more right behind them in Pateryn and Dietz, so there has to be some movement amongst rookie defenseman.. more important however to me is how you start to phase out your center position as constituted. We need at minimum an A/B/C/D structure as opposed to 2B and 2D centers. At the very least, we get Galchy in there to see if we got an A center. A lot will depend on how we fair in the playoffs.

To be honest i wouldn't resign any of ufa's. Markov is a great player but the habs need some RH defenseman. Emelin is awfull on his wrong side. I'm assuming the plan is to resign Subban.

The only these guys have proven is when the going gets tough, they disappear. The end of last year, a no show in the playoffs and fading down the stretch again. I actually think Detroit will pass them.

The team is too soft and small. I would resign Weiss.

The team is 29th in 5 on 5 scoring, the don't need to waste money on Gionta at a reduced rate, the need to make a big pitch to Vanek, Ryan, or someone of that callibre, preferably a big physical RW.

They also need to decide on the center position, they won't go anywhere with DD and pleks as the top 2 guys, I would trade one of them and move #27 to center.

I hate it when teams play defencemen on the wrong side. Brisebois's entire career was overshadowed by one horrible season when he was forced to the wrong side. We are setting Emelin up to fail, especially considering that he is not exactly a hardened NHL veteran whose confidence can withstand the struggles. Fer chrissakes, put him back on his proper side.

Chris makes several good points above. I'm not sure we need to move either one of Pleks or DD, though; in theory, all we need to do is put Galchenyuk at C (say, centering Vanek), which creates a configuration like this:

-DD + Patches = legitimate top-6 duo

-Galy (if ready) + Vanek or other big scoring winger = legitimate top-6 duo

-Pleks + whoever = legitimate, even elite, two-way line

-Weisse + whatever = legitimate fourth line

Notice that Eller is the odd man out here.

But this assumes that Galchenyuk is ready for the "big move" to C. At some point, the training wheels do need to come off. Frankly, if you put him with Vanek you are putting him in a position to succeed...imagine that, what a concept. But what will almost certainly happen is more of the same: hedge your bets against Galy's development and keep the glut at C for at least one more season. Sigh.

Seguin is 22 and despite his faceoff percentage still lacking, the Stars still push him at center. Not that they have much of a choice with some of the weakest center depth in the league. At 21 the Bruins rarely let him take a faceoff. The question becomes if Boston was holding Seguin back by not playing him at center due to a poor faceoff percentage or if they were just doing what anyone would do with a 21 year old with a ton of skill and trying to accentuate the positives and hide his negatives.

Love your avatar.

That's my dad in the back.

My take, as the Executive Thread Creator:

RFA

White-3 years 3.5 million

Weise-Walk

Leblanc-Walk

Eller-Walk, free up space for Galchenyuk, if he can't do it, use Briere

Subban-8 years 7 million

Tokarski-Walk

UFA

Gio-Walk

Markov-2 years 5 million

Murray-Walk

Bouillon-Walk

Weaver-1 year 1.5 million

Parros-Walk

Vanek-7 years 6.5 million

White
Weise
Leblanc
Eller
Subban
Tokarski

UFA

Gio
Markov
Murray
Bouillon
Weaver
Parros
Vanek

I see White, Eller, Markov, Subban staying and the rest leaving. Of the forward group, I'd like Vanek to stay and play with Galchenyuk, but doubt that will happen. I'd like Eller to stay, but he's fallen off as nearly catastrophically as Gomez. Thankfully, he's younger. I still think he'd garner interest around the league, so to let him walk for free would be a mistake. I can see Weise being tendered.

Most likely, one of the bottom feeder dmen will be re-signed though. Murray/Bouillon/Weaver, or they'll pick up another one of that ilk during free agency. I'd like Tiny and Beaulieu to both play. You can't groom your dmen forever in the A. At some point, you have to **** or get off the pot.

My take, as the Executive Thread Creator:

RFA

White-3 years 3.5 million

Weise-Walk

Leblanc-Walk

Eller-Walk, free up space for Galchenyuk, if he can't do it, use Briere

Subban-8 years 7 million

Tokarski-Walk

UFA

Gio-Walk

Markov-2 years 5 million

Murray-Walk

Bouillon-Walk

Weaver-1 year 1.5 million

Parros-Walk

Vanek-7 years 6.5 million

Ya know by and large if that could happen it would be great but I think you are dreaming in technicolor, cause Markov won't sign for 2.5 per year and Vanek won't sign for 6.5. Ahh but if only.

No way Bergevin signs Vanek to a 7 yr deal like that.... he would be 37 when it's done.... not that he will sign here anyway, especially at the rate the team and Therrien are coping with trying to make the playoffs. I think there will be a major shift in the roster for next year, with all but Markov gone of the UFA's, and youth filling the lineup, such as Bournival in Gionta's spot for example. I think White and Weise should both be signed because they will come relatively cheap, and can be effective players in their role on the 4th line, and we really have no depth of their kind in Hamilton. Eller will be re-signed because of bargain rate since he has slid so bad this year, his potential I think is still worth keeping him, especially at a low price. Habs biggest problems will be Briere and Bourque's contracts eating way too much space under the cap to enable us to improve our top 6, and that is our biggest problem. I expect a trade of some meaning early next season.... like Plek+ out, and some speed and scoring in.... I'll take MOAR speed instead of MOAR big.....although a couple of the under 5'8" need to hit the road.... nothing wrong with a 6' 195 lb that can skate is there?

No way Bergevin signs Vanek to a 7 yr deal like that.... he would be 37 when it's done.... not that he will sign here anyway, especially at the rate the team and Therrien are coping with trying to make the playoffs. I think there will be a major shift in the roster for next year, with all but Markov gone of the UFA's, and youth filling the lineup, such as Bournival in Gionta's spot for example. I think White and Weise should both be signed because they will come relatively cheap, and can be effective players in their role on the 4th line, and we really have no depth of their kind in Hamilton. Eller will be re-signed because of bargain rate since he has slid so bad this year, his potential I think is still worth keeping him, especially at a low price. Habs biggest problems will be Briere and Bourque's contracts eating way too much space under the cap to enable us to improve our top 6, and that is our biggest problem. I expect a trade of some meaning early next season.... like Plek+ out, and some speed and scoring in.... I'll take MOAR speed instead of MOAR big.....although a couple of the under 5'8" need to hit the road.... nothing wrong with a 6' 195 lb that can skate is there?

You are pretty much right on the nose. There is nothing wrong with 6 ft 200 pounds and skill. Of course if we could find 5 or 6 Charas well, then wouldn't we be special.

Letting players like Eller or Tokarski walk is careless. If they don't figure into the Habs plans, I would hope MB trades them before July 1st.

Count me among those who wants to see Galchenyuk at centre next year.

Letting players like Eller or Tokarski walk is careless. If they don't figure into the Habs plans, I would hope MB trades them before July 1st.

Count me among those who wants to see Galchenyuk at centre next year.

Anyone saying Eller would just walk is crazy. He's an RFA.