Apr. 5, Detroit vs Montreal, 7 PM

dlbalr

I think Mike Weaver has played himself into a short term deal.

Maybe I'm being a homer, but I can't see Vanek blowing off the kind of run he's having, or the atmosphere he's found himself in. Do the Wild really have any hope of challenging for the Stanley Cup in the next five years?

They don't have the coaching, they don't have the goaltending, and I could be wrong, but I don't think they have a playoff victory in their franchise history. This year, they play the Sharks or the Ducks in a likely short series.

Many mention that Vanek slots in nicely salary-wise with Heatley going out, but is that the whole story? They are bloated with heavy contracts, and after all of their name brand acquisitions, maybe it's time to go in another direction. They have 26 million locked up in Suter, the other Kouivu, Pominville, and Praise until 2018-2019. Are they going to add Vanek, and another seven million until that time? The cap is only going to raise so much. Having 36 million locked up in five guys is bad news. Furthermore, they have talented youth that will need to be locked up in the next 1-3 years like Brodin, Niederreiter, Coyle and Granlund. Vanek to the Wild is anything but a done deal. I think the move that's in their best interest is a 4/5 year deal at 4.5 million for Matt Moulson. They have many holes to address that Vanek won't solve.

It depends what's more important to Vanek - hockey environment/personnel professional success, or going to familiar surroundings for family reasons (has off season home in minny and wife is from there, he went to college there). I'm hoping he picks a chance to win and the current chemistry he has.

Minny's situation is not much different then ours. Once Subban and Markov sign (or should probably say if they sign) it will probably be for $14m (8m+6m), the habs will have $25m locked on 4 guys (Subban, Markov, price, pleks), and 40.5m locked up on 8 guys for the next 3 years (add maxpac, DD,gorges, Bourque). We still will need to resign Galleghar, Galchenyuk, Tinordi, Beaulieu and eller, all in the next 2 years. Also keep in mind, we also have holes on the blue line to adress.

That's why I'd try and move Bourque and gorges. We should try and get creative with moving Bourque. Maybe offer him to a team like Calgary, who has the cap space, a compliance buyout left and owners with money, so that they can buy him out. We send Bourque, Leblanc and a third for a fifth round pick and a lousy prospect who is a bust.

As far as moulson being a cheaper option for Minney, if Clarkson got $5.5m, moulson will still get at least that. Keep in mind, if Vanek waits until July 1st, he will probably get at least $7.5m. The only incentive (other than he's in a good situation here), is that we can offer him 8 years, while everyone else can only offer 7.

Lastly, we have the Quebec factor to deal with - probably the highest taxes in North America (for provinces/states having sports teams), and the French schooling issue.

I'm hoping we can sign him as well, but we have to also deal with our own cap issues, and it mat take an 8 year/$64m deal to get it done.

Maybe I'm being a homer, but I can't see Vanek blowing off the kind of run he's having, or the atmosphere he's found himself in. Do the Wild really have any hope of challenging for the Stanley Cup in the next five years?

They don't have the coaching, they don't have the goaltending, and I could be wrong, but I don't think they have a playoff victory in their franchise history. This year, they play the Sharks or the Ducks in a likely short series.

Many mention that Vanek slots in nicely salary-wise with Heatley going out, but is that the whole story? They are bloated with heavy contracts, and after all of their name brand acquisitions, maybe it's time to go in another direction. They have 26 million locked up in Suter, the other Kouivu, Pominville, and Praise until 2018-2019. Are they going to add Vanek, and another seven million until that time? The cap is only going to raise so much. Having 36 million locked up in five guys is bad news. Furthermore, they have talented youth that will need to be locked up in the next 1-3 years like Brodin, Niederreiter, Coyle and Granlund. Vanek to the Wild is anything but a done deal. I think the move that's in their best interest is a 4/5 year deal at 4.5 million for Matt Moulson. They have many holes to address that Vanek won't solve.

The Wild have won two series.

Came back from 3-1 down against the Avs in 03 to beat them out.

and Came back from 3-1 down to the Nucks in the same year, I think the Wild scored a big long shot goal against Cloutier but I could be mistaken.

Lastly, we have the Quebec factor to deal with - probably the highest taxes in North America (for provinces/states having sports teams), and the French schooling issue.

I'm hoping we can sign him as well, but we have to also deal with our own cap issues, and it mat take an 8 year/$64m deal to get it done.

The French schooling thing isnt a really problem as most NHLers choose private school for their kids always.

The French schooling thing isnt a really problem as most NHLers choose private school for their kids always.

well, I'm hoping we can sign him and language, taxes and his and his wife's connections with Minny won't be an issue. He would give us exactly what we need up front. Hopefully we can do it for a cap hit and term that makes sense. Even if we were to do 7 years/$8M, we could try and structure the deal so that it is front-loaded - within allowances of the new deal (i.e. so that the actual salary is lower in the last couple of years, to make him movable if required).

What does worry me, is signing Markov and Vanek this year and only signing Subban to a 1 or 2 year deal, or potentially even moving him.

well, I'm hoping we can sign him and language, taxes and his and his wife's connections with Minny won't be an issue. He would give us exactly what we need up front. Hopefully we can do it for a cap hit and term that makes sense. Even if we were to do 7 years/$8M, we could try and structure the deal so that it is front-loaded - within allowances of the new deal (i.e. so that the actual salary is lower in the last couple of years, to make him movable if required).

What does worry me, is signing Markov and Vanek this year and only signing Subban to a 1 or 2 year deal, or potentially even moving him.

Subban should be priority #1

Vanek #2

Markov #3

MT needs to play Beaulieu and Tinordi for the playoffs.

There's also Pateryn who was a pillar in Hamilton all season, they have to bring up to see what he does. Drewiske should get a looksie as well.

It'd take a lot of injuries for Beaulieu to play in the playoffs while Tinordi's likely 7th or 8th on the depth chart (depending on whether or not the coaches have Bouillon in front of him). They don't need to play them to get them ready for the playoffs, they likely won't play much if at all in the postseason.

As for callups, keep in mind the Habs only have two left before the end of Hamilton's season (April 19th). I doubt they want to use both on d-men and carry 11 blueliners in the last week of the season. Considering they're already eating into next year's space already, that would also be a real waste of money.

I'm tired of pundits everywhere quoting Mrs. Vanek. As far as I know, she hasn't said anything. Furthermore, Vanek is a millionaire superstar who will do whatever the hell he wants. Luongo's wife was more than vocal about signing in South Florida, but lo and behold, Bobby Lu signed in Vancouver.

Never forget "The Golden Rule:"

He who has the gold, makes the rules.

It'd take a lot of injuries for Beaulieu to play in the playoffs while Tinordi's likely 7th or 8th on the depth chart (depending on whether or not the coaches have Bouillon in front of him). They don't need to play them to get them ready for the playoffs, they likely won't play much if at all in the postseason.

As for callups, keep in mind the Habs only have two left before the end of Hamilton's season (April 19th). I doubt they want to use both on d-men and carry 11 blueliners in the last week of the season. Considering they're already eating into next year's space already, that would also be a real waste of money.

What's your take on the situation in Boston. Is it true that they're going to get penalized 4.5 million dollars?

Agreed. But from most media reports, it looks like Markov talks are currently happening, while Subban is likely occur after the season. Ordinarilly having talks with a UFA would make sense, but they really need to figure out how much it's going to cost to lock up Subban first.

Subban should be priority #1

Vanek #2

Markov #3

I don't thing they are going to get penalized 4.5m. They simply used some of next year's cap on this year's bonus. Keep in mind theat they still have $5m available from Savard.

I'm tired of pundits everywhere quoting Mrs. Vanek. As far as I know, she hasn't said anything. Furthermore, Vanek is a millionaire superstar who will do whatever the hell he wants. Luongo's wife was more than vocal about signing in South Florida, but lo and behold, Bobby Lu signed in Vancouver.

He who has the gold, makes the rules.

What's your take on the situation in Boston. Is it true that they're going to get penalized 4.5 million dollars?

He who has the gold, makes the rules

Don't forget that Pronger also wanted out of Edmonton because of wifey. Some of these players are pretty whipped.

I really liked the work by Bork, Eller and Gionta last night.

Fifth goal should not have counted but whatever, Red Wings should have scored more than three.

:rastapop: no no no the dead things should never have scored at all. :P

I don't thing they are going to get penalized 4.5m. They simply used some of next year's cap on this year's bonus. Keep in mind theat they still have $5m available from Savard.

Their penalty will be around $4.5 M (the penalty being a reduced cap). It's not something they have to pay to the league, but they won't be allowed to spend to the cap next year. They're projected at $67 M before bonuses and Iginla has likely hit most of his $4.2 M potential bonuses. Back out Savard's LTIR and they're still over by a country mile. At least 1/3 of the league (including Montreal) will have a reduced cap for next year, Boston and Detroit in particular are going to be hit pretty hard.

Don't forget that Pronger also wanted out of Edmonton because of wifey. Some of these players are pretty whipped.

That's because Pronger slept with a local female sports reporter. Can't really blame his wife for a change of scenery.

As long as Vanek doesn't bed Chantal Machabée, Habs have a decent shot at signing him.

Their penalty will be around $4.5 M (the penalty being a reduced cap). It's not something they have to pay to the league, but they won't be allowed to spend to the cap next year. They're projected at $67 M before bonuses and Iginla has likely hit most of his $4.2 M potential bonuses. Back out Savard's LTIR and they're still over by a country mile. At least 1/3 of the league (including Montreal) will have a reduced cap for next year, Boston and Detroit in particular are going to be hit pretty hard.

How much are we going to be over by Brian any idea?

That's because Pronger slept with a local female sports reporter. Can't really blame his wife for a change of scenery.

As long as Vanek doesn't bed Chantal Machabée, Habs have a decent shot at signing him.

Zero sign that will happen and may work out fine anyways.

It is his jackpot year and he is doing all he can to lock up contract for $60+m and Bergevin already hinted, sure 'if it works cap wise', which it wont so I wouldn't hold your breath.

How much are we going to be over by Brian any idea?

Not a clue as I don't have much in the way of bonus details. If the roster stays as it is, they'd finish about $175k below the cap before bonuses get added in. I believe they've blown through that already with basic GP bonuses, the rest will depend on what the bonuses are for players like Galchenyuk and Gallagher. The more they hit, the lower the spending limit for the Habs next year. It won't be anywhere near what Boston and a few others will pay though.