Draft Day Discussion

dlbalr

Why Barbashev dropping to 2nd round I wonder? Russian Factor feeling from interviews?

Must have been. He didn't last for long though, 33 to STL.

Also, colour me surprised that Demko wasn't the first goalie picked, Mason McDonald was.

He kicked ass at combine in strength testing and is a big WHL kid with a bit of puck skill

6'4" 206lb RH d-man, 52nd ranked N.A. skater

Anyone else expecting Bergevin to move a roster player today? I keep waiting for a trade announcement, but am getting less excited as we get into later rounds...

We don't see too many player for pick moves anymore on the second day of the draft. I don't expect anything from the Habs in that regard.

Here's my Day 2 article with some stuff on Lernout (and hopefully more to come): http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=3439

Gotta say am very pleased another WHL d-man taken and Lernout fills a need, now will he have the footspeed to make it as a pro?

We're getting near the next Montreal pick...lots of my guys from earlier are still on the board. I want Tkachev...I picked him for the Habs in the 3rd in our mock and he's still there. Forget the size, he has a ton of offensive talent.

Yes but it has to be good for any sized player and tends to be big issue for larger d-men turning pro.

Either that or have super hockey IQ to play to his strengths (wingspan/strength).

He (Tkachev) is one slippery lil Russian for sure and think Timmins will do fine with two 5th rounders.

Halfway through the 6th round, the league with the most players taken is the USHL. More and more teams are starting to employ the draft-and-stash philosophy (4-5 years before needing to sign most of this picks).

Koberstein was 205th ranked N.A. skater

and likely scouted at Junior A games in Nova Scotia

rookie of year in AJHL I think he was