Apr. 30, NHL Draft Lottery, 7 PM

dlbalr

Cooper certainly thought so. Thought Filppula was better than him in the role. Nobody else agreed. Probably sounds familiar.

There is a chronic culture of over-coaching. It's the logic that frames PK Subban as a player who needs 'fixing' and tries to stick Stamkos on the wing - which is self-evidently one of the stupidest coaching moves in a long time. It's not unique to Therrien. It's endemic in the league.

I think Stamkos is more likey to sign in TO than with us because of the narrative of TO as an 'up and coming' organization with elite young FW talent on the cusp of breaking out (e.g., Nylander and Matthews). We just don't have the pre-existing FW unit that will tantalize a high-demand UFA, whereas Toronto can plausibly spin the idea that he'll be joining an eventual powerhouse. He's only 26, he can afford to wait a couple of years for the big payoff. Now, if a team like St Louis comes calling, that could well trump TO.

There is a chronic culture of over-coaching. It's the logic that frames PK Subban as a player who needs 'fixing' and tries to stick Stamkos on the wing - which is self-evidently one of the stupidest coaching moves in a long time. It's not unique to Therrien. It's endemic in the league.

There was allegedly talk in Pittsburgh when Disco Dan Blysma was coaching that he was trying to turn Malkin into a winger and Malkin was having none of it. I guess Crosby shut it down and told Dan to figure something else out.

I think Stamkos is more likey to sign in TO than with us because of the narrative of TO as an 'up and coming' organization with elite young FW talent on the cusp of breaking out (e.g., Nylander and Matthews). We just don't have the pre-existing FW unit that will tantalize a high-demand UFA, whereas Toronto can plausibly spin the idea that he'll be joining an eventual powerhouse. He's only 26, he can afford to wait a couple of years for the big payoff. Now, if a team like St Louis comes calling, that could well trump TO.

Or Florida, Rangers, Kings, Chicago, Islanders, Caps.

Why is it the stupidest move? Who is to say it even a bad move, do you know if he even good at faceoffs and backchecking?

Leafs, couple years at a minimum; not one all-star core player on roster, maybe 1 top-4 d-man, cant keep pucks out of net, prospects are exactly that, rookie president in his first NHL job, overrated coach and they are the Leafs so they will shoot themselves in the foot, don't worry.

Or Florida, Rangers, Kings, Chicago, Islanders, Caps.

Why is it the stupidest move? Who is to say it even a bad move, do you know if he even good at faceoffs and backchecking?

Leafs, couple years at a minimum; not one all-star core player on roster, maybe 1 top-4 d-man, cant keep pucks out of net, prospects are exactly that, rookie president in his first NHL job, overrated coach and they are the Leafs so they will shoot themselves in the foot, don't worry.

It's a bad move because it created a problem where none existed before, and caused issues with your franchise player. You're a coach with a 50-goal scoring elite C. Only a complete moron would f**k with that.

And I don't know about his backchecking, but his FO % was 50% in 2015 - better than Plekanec's.

As for the Leafs, hey, I hope you're right and that Stamkos sees it your way.

Who said was a problem or issue with Stamkos position?

You really think the star player's role is dictated in a head coach vacuum, with zero input from Yzerman, coaching staff, their pro scouts and rest of management. (just a joke) Only a complete moron would buy that scenario and like laying all crap at feet of Therrien you want to make same lame assumptions with other franchises also. :bonk:

Unless Yzerman had/has some inside knowledge of Stamkos health, he is a moron to not have signed a superstar like Stamkos, given his age. I think that Stamkos becoming a UFA is unprecedented - yes I know he isn't one yet, but it's moronic not to sign a UFA of his talent and age before the season ends

Who said was a problem or issue with Stamkos position?

You really think the star player's role is dictated in a head coach vacuum, with zero input from Yzerman, coaching staff, their pro scouts and rest of management. (just a joke) Only a complete moron would buy that scenario and like laying all crap at feet of Therrien you want to make same lame assumptions with other franchises also. :bonk:

Unless Yzerman had/has some inside knowledge of Stamkos health, he is a moron to not have signed a superstar like Stamkos, given his age. I think that Stamkos becoming a UFA is unprecedented - yes I know he isn't one yet, but it's moronic not to sign a UFA of his talent and age before the season ends

Unless Stamkos rebuked all offers and decided he wanted to go to free agency no matter what (and some believe that to be the case). There's not a whole lot Yzerman can do to make him re-sign if that's his mindset. There's always the trade-at-the-deadline route but he made the decision to treat him as an internal rental for a big playoff push (which, of course, backfired with the blood clots). That one can be questioned somewhat - especially with hindsight - but one of the benefits of being a free agent is that you don't have to re-sign. That doesn't make a GM moronic to not sign someone if they don't want to sign.

The word is that Yzerman does not want to budge on $8.5m per year.

That's a possibility although I'd find it a bit strange that negotiations with a star player would open up with "Here's our one and only offer, take it or leave it." I can't see them offering $8.5 to start and then not budge at all from that. If that is indeed the case, then that wouldn't be a particularly smart approach.

That's a possibility although I'd find it a bit strange that negotiations with a star player would open up with "Here's our one and only offer, take it or leave it." I can't see them offering $8.5 to start and then not budge at all from that. If that is indeed the case, then that wouldn't be a particularly smart approach.

I doubt it opened up with that, but it's likely come to that point and until Yzerman decides to pay more, it'll be an impasse. Think of what happened with Subban and the Canadiens. Somewhere around the $9M mark was what Subban wanted and the Canadiens went through arbitration and everything before finally settling on the number, with rumours that Geoff Molson had to speed it along. Bergevin likely had an amount set in his mind he was going to hard ball Subban into and in the end he had to agree to Subban's number. That's what will probably happen here unless Stamkos decides to walk. I think Stamkos wants to continue being on the Lightning as much as Subban has always wanted to stay on the Habs but he isn't going to undersell himself. If $8.5M is Yzerman's offer and Stamkos isn't signing, he clearly wants more and Yzerman has yet to offer something he wants to sign on.

From Friedman back in January: http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/reported-lightning-offer-to-stamkos-worth-8-5m-per-year/

hence the moronic comment. From all reports, the lightening stuck to the $8.5M offer with the argument that on a tax basis it's equivalent or better than a $10M offer from some other cities.

Possibly he should of signed by now and maybe he tried? Maybe he has 100% intention of signing him and hasn't for some likely logical and not moronic reason. Stamkos I think started the fire by trying to have a witty tweet wasn't it, alluding to going to Toronto? But maybe Stamkos has every intention of resigning and is just playing the game at his agent's suggestion?

Possibly he should of signed by now and maybe he tried? Maybe he has 100% intention of signing him and hasn't for some likely logical and not moronic reason. Stamkos I think started the fire by trying to have a witty tweet wasn't it, alluding to going to Toronto? But maybe Stamkos has every intention of resigning and is just playing the game at his agent's suggestion?

The Lightning have a lot of tough decisions coming up.

It's not just Stamkos they have to sign. They also have RFA deals to make for Killorn and Kucherov. And then next summer, they got Drouin, Vas, and Johnson with RFA contracts while Bishop becomes a UFA and likely has to test the market because there will be no way they can afford him. Oh, and did I mention that Hedman is up too? Because he is.

Now, this could be fixed if this summer, Yzerman finds takers for Filppula and Callahan. Except... both have no movement clauses so they'd have to want to move. The only guy Yzerman could move for quick cap space would be Braydon Coburn. Anyone else has clauses keeping them in Tampa. Carle, Garrison and Stralman all have NTCs (Coburn has one until July 1), and moving a guy like Boyle gives them very little cap relief.

i really don't understand why gm's shoot themselves by sining support, or fringe players to NMC or NTC contracts.

The Lightning have a lot of tough decisions coming up.

It's not just Stamkos they have to sign. They also have RFA deals to make for Killorn and Kucherov. And then next summer, they got Drouin, Vas, and Johnson with RFA contracts while Bishop becomes a UFA and likely has to test the market because there will be no way they can afford him. Oh, and did I mention that Hedman is up too? Because he is.

Now, this could be fixed if this summer, Yzerman finds takers for Filppula and Callahan. Except... both have no movement clauses so they'd have to want to move. The only guy Yzerman could move for quick cap space would be Braydon Coburn. Anyone else has clauses keeping them in Tampa. Carle, Garrison and Stralman all have NTCs (Coburn has one until July 1), and moving a guy like Boyle gives them very little cap relief.

i really don't understand why gm's shoot themselves by sining support, or fringe players to NMC or NTC contracts.

Callahan and Filppula are both top six calibre players but signing Callahan, man I was bewildered by that one. Yzerman knew his cap situation going forward but still felt that signing him to a long term deal with an NMC anchor was a better idea than just keeping the space open to eventually give it to Stamkos. Seriously, Stamkos and Kucherov's pay raises are right there in the $5.8 million that Callahan receives. Filppula I understand was them filling the 2C spot after Lecavalier got bought out. Funny enough, Johnson's break out year was Fillpula's first season in Tampa.

Callahan and Filppula are both top six calibre players but signing Callahan, man I was bewildered by that one. Yzerman knew his cap situation going forward but still felt that signing him to a long term deal with an NMC anchor was a better idea than just keeping the space open to eventually give it to Stamkos. Seriously, Stamkos and Kucherov's pay raises are right there in the $5.8 million that Callahan receives. Filppula I understand was them filling the 2C spot after Lecavalier got bought out. Funny enough, Johnson's break out year was Fillpula's first season in Tampa.

Point is you can't give players, term, $ and NMC/NTC. How a guy like Emelin got one is inexcusable.

Point is you can't give players, term, $ and NMC/NTC. How a guy like Emelin got one is inexcusable.

I'm fine with players fighting for them. GMs just have to be more willing to let guys walk. It's really odd that most Habs don't have NMC/NTC (including Plekanec, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, and Price) and then you got Emelin getting one. It makes perfect sense for Subban to have one. He's in trade rumours before the thing kicks in. Heck yeah I'd want a no movement clause for the majority of my career in Montreal if I'm a star.

I'm fine with players fighting for them. GMs just have to be more willing to let guys walk. It's really odd that most Habs don't have NMC/NTC (including Plekanec, Pacioretty, Desharnais, Eller, and Price) and then you got Emelin getting one. It makes perfect sense for Subban to have one. He's in trade rumours before the thing kicks in. Heck yeah I'd want a no movement clause for the majority of my career in Montreal if I'm a star.

I've got no problem with Subban, Crosby, Malkin types getting NMC. No way that Emelin, Callahan, or guys that are 2nd tier or support players getting them. Players can ask, but GM's should let the player walk, or more preferably move them. Thing is you can't move players, if you let your negotiations hang until the last moment before they are UFA's.

I've got no problem with Subban, Crosby, Malkin types getting NMC. No way that Emelin, Callahan, or guys that are 2nd tier or support players getting them. Players can ask, but GM's should let the player walk, or more preferably move them. Thing is you can't move players, if you let your negotiations hang until the last moment before they are UFA's.

You are absolutely right, good sir. NTCs for all-star core players? Sure. For role players? No way. I suspect MB has learned this little lesson from the Emelin debacle.

Don't think it is quite as simple as that and easy to say as a armchair-GM.

NTC and NMC should be banned. Forever.

Owners should hire smarter GMs, or maybe go back to the bare-faced collusion of the ol days would make owners very very happy!

How many times (many) have we seen teams handcuffed by nmc/nt clauses and yet they don't learn. These clauses will fork your team, stop doing it.