2012 NHL Entry Draft talk

Commandant

Rankings are a lot more wildly divergent the lower you go. You could be right and Sutter goes first, but those are just my own numbers and I'm no expert.

CSS has Sutter 39th and Bozon 42nd, but like you say, some would have Bozon almost in 1st round and Sutter near end of 2nd round. I just have my own bias towards a bit more physical centreman at 33, when many would prefer a bit more skillful winger.

However works out, even if ignore every d-man and 2nd tier Europeans (which I aint got a clue about), there still looks to be a bunch of very promising North American forwards in the 33+ to 63rd range.

But given Timmins track record, i would be surprised if he dosent make at least 1 swap of picks. Whether he trades up or down is another impossible question to answer, but i would somewhat prefer moving down and adding picks as he did last year, but as with Tinordi, if he really likes, say Aberg or Girgensons in the 20-25 range, i doubt he would hesitate to toss in a couple picks to get it done?

• Upvote 2

One pile of top quality d-men this year,

Pouliot had 4 assists in last game.

Dumba's 12 points must boost his stock even more eh? Could he go #2?

Henrik Samuelsson had 5 points in last 2 games and is a nice big agitator.

Forsberg did look like a super prospect, even with no production vs USA, but i was very surprised he won Best Forward of tournament, when he wasnt even a top 3 player picked on his own team (who picked Dansk/Lindholm and Collberg).

Hunter Shinaruk had a sweet goal and he is just another of a super looking crop of top 2013 prospects.

That Seth Jones looks like he will be one dominant d-man and will go very high in draft next year.

BTW... thank you very much for thesegreat reviews of players Commandant :)

I'm glad people are enjoying them.

I hope to get through about 2 rounds worth of guys.

One pile of top quality d-men this year,

Pouliot had 4 assists in last game.

Dumba's 12 points must boost his stock even more eh? Could he go #2?

Henrik Samuelsson had 5 points in last 2 games and is a nice big agitator.

Forsberg did look like a super prospect, even with no production vs USA, but i was very surprised he won Best Forward of tournament, when he wasnt even a top 3 player picked on his own team (who picked Dansk/Lindholm and Collberg).

Hunter Shinaruk had a sweet goal and he is just another of a super looking crop of top 2013 prospects.

That Seth Jones looks like he will be one dominant d-man and will go very high in draft next year.

MacKinnon and Jones look like they will be Tavares vs Hedman where people will debate defence vs forward all year.

Both are absolute beasts right now.

I'm glad people are enjoying them.

I hope to get through about 2 rounds worth of guys.

MacKinnon and Jones look like they will be Tavares vs Hedman where people will debate defence vs forward all year.

Both are absolute beasts right now.

I know MacKinnon is very good; but several others CHL forwards could challange him possibly?; Sam Reinhart/Curtis Lazar/Shinkarak/Monahan and Anthony Duclair are all promising kids eh?

Darnell Nurse and Josh Morrissey must be couple of top CHL d-men for 2013; but Jones seemed as advertised at U18s and will likely be in a class by himself as far a d-men go.

Hard to tell who will challenge him right now. Plenty can change in a year. I mean Angelo Esposito was the #1 overall pick for 2007, at this time in 2006.

Nick Ebert was a sure top 5 pick at this time last year. I'm not sure he'll be taken in the second round right now.

Martin Frk was top 5 as well but he'd gonna be late 1st/early 2nd.

Tyler Seguin was a top 20 pick one year before he was drafted

So lots can change.

But if you ask me today... Monahan and Jones are in a class apart for 2013. At least today. Those other forwards and D are fighting for 3rd. But sure, they could have a great year and enter the conversation.

MacKinnon will be interesting because he has a massive ego. He's a me first player and he's talented enough to maintain it.

Hey, that is exactly like Cammalleri, cept the talent part.

MacKinnon will be interesting because he has a massive ego. He's a me first player and he's talented enough to maintain it.

He's also 16 years old... lets cut the kid a little slack.

I'm pretty sure we were all a bunch of pricks at 16.

sounds like he would be a steal at the 33rd spot

At 33rd there will be quite a nice group still availabale to pick from for sure and even at 55/64 should be fine quality as well and Timmins has done super with later picks, so fairly confident it should be a good haul in June.

I've had a few people talk to me about WIlson. Heard comparisons to Lucic. What are the odds he is around at 33?

Doubtful, I think like Tyler Biggs last year, he goes late first round. Everyone is looking for the next Lucic.

Comparisons to Moen are better than comparisons to Lucic IMO. I wouldn't touch the guy with that high a pick.

Every year there is the "next lucic" a guy with untapped offence at 18 who is gonna be a top 6er at the next level.

Chances are they don't pan out. The Bruins got lucky with Lucic and he had a great progression after being drafted. Lightning doesn't strike twice on these type of guys.

I believe that if there ever truly is a "next Lucic" he'll show that goal scoring potential when he is 16 and 17 and actually put up points (and not just a good two week run which is what Wilson is doing, but all season long), and be drafted top 10.

Everything about Wilson screams third liner to me, and you can get those in the 3rd, 4th and 5th rounds too. No idea why he's become this years "next Lucic" but there is always one guy touted like this. Like I said, Biggs hasn't shown any progression that he'll go this way, he still isn't scoring 1 year later, and since 2008 there has been a "next Lucic" in every draft class. I can't remember them all, but obviously none have turned out at this point.

I've had a few people talk to me about WIlson. Heard comparisons to Lucic. What are the odds he is around at 33?

Wilson certainly didnt fill the net this year, with 9 goals in regular season, better in playoffs but will go too high i bet due to fighting and size, but i am biased and already have a better choice, in my opinion, for 33rd pick, in Lukas Sutter, who has shown much better offense than Wilson and likely will never be Lucic's size but has the grit side covered (similar to his father Rich), could be similar to Ryan White.

not the right place for this - but YESSSSSS! the damn bruins are out!!!!!!!

• Upvote 2

Edmonton vs Moose Jaw has had a rink full of scouts for past couple games, now that Morgan Reilly is back and up to speed, he certainly shows flashes of Coffey-like play. Several GMs like Stevie Y and the announcers thought Bighead Burke was also at game, checking out Reilly as well as Griffin Reinhart and others.

Reinhart can skate for a big guy and should go right around 10th or so and Reilly may be quite appealing to Burke at #5?

Henrik Samuellson has been looking very good, much more entertaining hockey than that trap-crap the NHL is showing.

Samuellson seems to be playing his way into 1st round, big body, can skate OK, back checking, has some offense and threw a sneeky dirty elbow, which his father or Craig Ludwig would of been proud of.

I can just picture Burke drooling, but i dont think Samuellson is a big scrapper?

I can just picture Burke drooling, but i dont think Samuellson is a big scrapper?

After Cherry's Ontario rant caught big attention, I expect Burke to be pressured into selecting an Ontario born player like Cody Ceci or Malcolm Subban, maybe trading down so he gets an extra second out of it.

After Cherry's Ontario rant caught big attention, I expect Burke to be pressured into selecting an Ontario born player like Cody Ceci or Malcolm Subban, maybe trading down so he gets an extra second out of it.

Burke is an american and Samuelson is also, but i was just tossing it out there, almost impossible to guess correctly with a draft after the first few spots, but would seem a fit is all.

I can pull for/guess, Habs to take Bozon at 33rd and Luke Sutter to still be available at 55th and maybe Coda Gordon at 64th and Steven Hodges at 94th, but likely 1:100,000 to get even 1 correct?

1st round is a bit easier but still a crap shoot.