Sept. 26, Habs vs Avs, 7:30 PM

dlbalr

Living in BC, I haven't watched any of the preseason "action," but I'm happy to read that so many of our prospects look so good. Especially Sekac, who sounds like the real deal.

That said, does anyone recall the late 1990s? There was one preseason where we just ripped it up. I think the Habs were first overall in preseason. Everyone got all excited - "hey, maybe we won't suck this year after all!" And sure enough, once the ACTUAL games started, we reverted to being hapless bottom-feeders.

The point being: let's not get TOO excited about anything we see in preseason. That's not NHL hockey out there. ;)

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Living in BC, I haven't watched any of the preseason "action," but I'm happy to read that so many of our prospects look so good. Especially Sekac, who sounds like the real deal.

That said, does anyone recall the late 1990s? There was one preseason where we just ripped it up. I think the Habs were first overall in preseason. Everyone got all excited - "hey, maybe we won't suck this year after all!" And sure enough, once the ACTUAL games started, we reverted to being hapless bottom-feeders.

The point being: let's not get TOO excited about anything we see in preseason. That's not NHL hockey out there. ;)

I seem to recall the same thing happening in the early 2000s

Exhibition is just that. Colorado losing to our AHLers doesn't mean our team in Hamilton is NHL calibre.

But you can tell when a guy is playing for his future and when a guy is playing in the present. While I've liked Christian Thomas in per-season, I don't see that translating into an NHL spot. Sekac doesn't look like a prospect we signed who might make the roster. He looks like a top 10 free agency signing. He looks like the kind of player I'd trust in a playoff overtime. Can't say the same about any other prospect we have.

I seem to recall the same thing happening in the early 2000s

Yeah, I may be confusing the exact time-line - but the point is that we dominated the preseason in the midst of the Dark Years when we were one of the worst teams in hockey. It means less than nothing. That said, I wouldn't deny Machine's point about Sekac. We had the same buzz about Brendan Gallagher in his rookie year, and that worked out pretty well.

Guest Stogey24

This video had some of the best moments in the game, and almost all of them are Sekac:

Montreal Canadiens vs Colorado Avalanche - Presea:

Sekac had a couple other nice little passes too. Ghetto is another guy who deserves some credit, he played really well.

I've watched all 3 of the pre season games, and really Sekac has been the best player on the ice for both teams, indeed looks like a man among boys.

What I have been pleased to see happening with the team as a whole, is their aggressive play, their possession mindset(although I haven't looked at the advanced stats side), their physical play and competitiveness.

Beaulieu looks like an NHL defenseman to me, an offensive dynamo once he gets his timing to the NHL, extremely good skater, can't see how he cannot be included in the line up.

Tinordi looked good last night, with good hits, especially on Duschene, and a decent eye towards puck possession, maybe just needs to get rid of the jitters, dunno.

The forwards, including DLR, Thomas and Andrighetto, along with the established guys, are the best group attending a Habs camp in a long time. Bourque is gonna have to work to stay ahead of those guys and the depth chart, and is already way behind Sekac, in my humble opinion, and get the feeling by the look of Galchenyuk, that he is going to erupt this year, no matter who he plays with.

Defense depth, forward depth, and depth in goal, I'm looking forward to a great season by this Hab team....