I'll be reconsidering my fandom. And you?

Hey CC, with all due respect to you, and I truly do respect you, it's you acting like the Leaf fan bud... Peace brother!

I think the habs are a better team moving forward, they swapped a top dman for an allstar Dman, got a top 6 forward with decent size, traded Eller for Shaw, lost a few spots on the draft picks, and didn't give up any younger talent.

I actually don't have much of a problem with what MB has done.

Still not a DD fan

Hey CC, with all due respect to you, and I truly do respect you, it's you acting like the Leaf fan bud... Peace brother!

No, Leaf fans have unrelenting faith in their mgmt and start planning the parade every fall.
  • Upvote 2

Over the next 2-4 years it's not a terrible deal...certainly not Roy 2.0. After that it's probably bad...but who knows, Weber could be dealt in 2 years making the balance of those years look better. I don't disagree that the Habs lose the trade and should have got more. But Weber isn't anywhere near as useless as Thibault and/or Rucinsky and Subban is not at Roy's caliber at the same time.

No, Leaf fans have unrelenting faith in their mgmt and start planning the parade every fall.

I can assure you that I have no parade plans, anymore than I have an "we've already lost" attitude because Subban was our only shot at a cup.

Figure that out.

I will not change team. And I think at this moment this trade is even but in 3-4 years maybe it will be a lot harder to see it that way. Hopefully Weber is Lidström quality and will be great until his 40s. Then he retires with one year left on his contract to smack Nashville in the head with a hard caphit.

I'm actually extremely happy with MB right now..

Weber is solid. Radulov is a skilled top liner. Shaw is an upgrade over Eller. Montoya is a decent backup.

Add one more scoring forward (Yak?) and lookout.

I'm actually extremely happy with MB right now..

Weber is solid. Radulov is a skilled top liner. Shaw is an upgrade over Eller. Montoya is a decent backup.

Add one more scoring forward (Yak?) and lookout.

The new 1990s Red Wings?

Yakupov (Kozlov) Galchenyuk (Larionov) Radulov (Fedorov)

Emelin (Konstantinov) - Markov.(Fetisov) haha

My problem with the trade is, was and will remain that 1. The Habs need forwards and we didn't get one in the Subban trade when we should have gotten a little extra to hedge Webbers inevitable decline

Nevertheless, been unable to overcome my addiction I am and will remain a fan and barring a Cup win will eventually add Bergevin to the list of incompentent Habs GM' s who have made massive errors which were evident for all to see. How I long for the days of Sam Pollock-or even the early days of Serge Savard- when the Habs actually won trades. Hell at this point I wish Molsin had hired Pierre McGuire

• Upvote 1

Weber relies on size, strength, and shot for his effectiveness. Those last a lot longer than skating and fancy moves. He'll be effective longer than Subban is. Even if you don't consider Subban's short shelf life as far as personality is concerned. I'd be willing to bet he gets passed along like the Ace of Spades in a Hearts game in a couple of years. For far less return than Shea Weber.

Edited by ethan raphael

My problem with the trade is, was and will remain that 1. The Habs need forwards and we didn't get one in the Subban trade when we should have gotten a little extra to hedge Webbers inevitable decline

Nevertheless, been unable to overcome my addiction I am and will remain a fan and barring a Cup win will eventually add Bergevin to the list of incompentent Habs GM' s who have made massive errors which were evident for all to see. How I long for the days of Sam Pollock-or even the early days of Serge Savard- when the Habs actually won trades. Hell at this point I wish Molsin had hired Pierre McGuire

Pierre mcguire? come on now. he is a walking disaster.

Pierre McGuire said long ago he would have traded Subban, at least MB waited until he was worth a Shea Weber in return :ph34r:

Whatever the result is, I give Bergevin credit for having the balls to do what he thought would help the club, short term, and long term.

I'll take Weber as a mentor to our young defensemen over Subban any day.

thing but he didn't have the balls to do it in the middle of the season or to Subban's face,

And you know what Bergevin said to Subban's face how?

And you are saying Bergevin has no balls... :rofl:

If there were questions about either one of them having balls, it would be Subban, not Bergevin.

Reign in those assumptions man!

And you know what Bergevin said to Subban's face how?

And you are saying Bergevin has no balls... :rofl:

If one of them has questions about his balls, it would be Subban, not Bergevin.

Reign in those assumptions man!

He didn't. Subban wasn't in Montreal. He got a phone call.

I'm saying if balls is your rationalizing, his balls don't compare to Houle and Gauthier. Gauthier traded the playoff hero of Montreal to keep "Gainey's pet horse" and traded Cammalleri mid game against Boston and refused to give him back his game sweater. Bergevin doesn't compare.

I'm saying if balls is your rationalizing, his balls don't compare to Houle and Gauthier. Gauthier traded the playoff hero of Montreal to keep "Gainey's pet horse" and traded Cammalleri mid game against Boston and refused to give him back his game sweater. Bergevin doesn't compare.

Lol, that was kinda nasty, but all I'm saying is, it took a lot of balls for Bergevin to trade Subban, and if Montreal had of traded Price, the horse, and kept Halak, we would have been picking 1st overall for a few years now, that wouldn't of took balls, simply insanity.

I don't remember Gauthier ever addressing the media with the style Bergevin has, he wasn't called Ghost for his courage in addressing anyone outside the board room at least.

Pierre mcguire? come on now. he is a walking disaster.

yeah maybe but as of Wednesday MB has alot of hessplainin (work) to do before I can at the very least feel that we don't have a French speaking Milbury on the 8th floor. FINE! that might be a little extreme there but fe real real; MB has shook my core like Peanut did all those years ago, still,

More we get closer to Open night the more exited I get about it and can't wait to see Big Bird 2.0 with the Habs but I think I will miss PK with the Habs long after he will have retired.

I keep hearing this "he had the balls" thing but he didn't have the balls to do it in the middle of the season or to Subban's face, so I guess his balls don't compare to Ronald Corey and Rejean Houle. Or Pierre Gauthier.

Pretty hard to sit down with Subban when he is in Europe isn't it?

And other time he tried to deal Subban, that we have heard of, was also at an earlier draft.

You really think Nashville would of traded Weber during this season?

You really think Nashville would of traded Weber during this season?

Not my point.

Having balls is such a dumb compliment to a big move. Every bad trade in the history of sports can be defended with, "Woah! He sure had the balls to make that move!"

Nobody compliments Peter Pocklington for having the balls to trade Gretzky or Mike Milbury for trading away Luongo because he had DiPietro. But on the definition that's what you're giving Bergevin credit for. The credit to make a big move, regardless of whether he SHOULD make the move.

It's dumb. It's fishing for a rationalization. Stick to the actual effect on the team.

Pierre "I would trade Subban and the #3 pick to Edmonton to get #1 and pick Yakupov" McGuire is talking about this subban trade as being bad.

Yes its bad.

Pierre's incredibly, would have been worse.

Not my point.

Having balls is such a dumb compliment to a big move. Every bad trade in the history of sports can be defended with, "Woah! He sure had the balls to make that move!"

Nobody compliments Peter Pocklington for having the balls to trade Gretzky or Mike Milbury for trading away Luongo because he had DiPietro. But on the definition that's what you're giving Bergevin credit for. The credit to make a big move, regardless of whether he SHOULD make the move.

It's dumb. It's fishing for a rationalization. Stick to the actual effect on the team.

Hasn't Bergevin been roasted for not doing 'enough' last off-season or since taking over and been characterized as being scared to pull the trigger on any significant deal?

Then he does and what is response?

Hasn't Bergevin been roasted for not doing 'enough' last off-season or since taking over and been characterized as being scared to pull the trigger on any significant deal?

Then he does and what is response?

Sorry about the sarcastic tone (not towards you) but it's because all the blockbuster proposals on here had Emelin + DD + Fucale/Pateryn for the Weber/Halls etc.

Oh, not to mention getting a prospect miles away from Subban/Weber's talent level in addition to Weber would have made the trade acceptable. THAT would have made it alright to lose Subban.

On reflection, I think the right metaphor for fandom-after-Subban is that this trade is like discovering that your girlfriend has been cheating on you. The trading of a superstar entering his prime for a star entering his decline - i.e., deliberately making the team worse in order to suit the egos of management - is the sports equivalent of being cuckolded.

And like a guy who discovers that his gf is cheating, there will be a process of re-assessment. It'll take time for the trust to return (if it ever does).

That's what's going on here, from my point of view. That the Nashville fan forums have six pages of posts by Habs fans announcing their interest in following the Preds suggests I'm not the only one having this reaction.

I find it amusing that Dumber seems to be blaming Subban for the debacle last year. E.g., we didn't have 'leadership' when Price/Gally went down, so that must be PK's fault, because we sure can't ask for accountability from Certified Good Boy and Company Man, captain Max Pacioretty.

Great point. Max Pacioretty's whiny disposition and sulky floater play during our struggles made me want to puke...he is in no way a leader, and I question his heart. If he were not on such a discount contract, I'd want him traded; I certainly don't want to see an offer made to him when he becomes UFA. I'll never be a fan of that guy going forward.