2017 NHL Draft Prospects

DON

Czech finally win an Hlinka tournament and beat USA 4-3.

Sasha Chmelevski gets 5th goal, Martin Necas leading Czech with 2g 6pts in tournament.

They said Caydon Primeau stood on his head in 3rd period for USA (outshot 15-2), until an American takes a 5 minute spearing major and game over.

Only 1 Canadian ranked in top 10.

Only had 2 Canadians picked in top ten this year.

Thats a terrible ranking if they only have 1 canadian in the top 10.

Anything can happen in the season and players will move, but if a draft was held today, no doubt in my mind that Vilardi and Comtois are both top 5 and Patrick is #1

Thats a terrible ranking if they only have 1 canadian in the top 10.

Anything can happen in the season and players will move, but if a draft was held today, no doubt in my mind that Vilardi and Comtois are both top 5 and Patrick is #1

Whoever made the list, did give disclaimer that viewings of these kids was near nil and to take ranking/list with grain of salt.

• 3 months later...

The scouting report on Popugaev sounds somewhat similar to Scherbak.  Basically, offensively skilled winger that needs to work on his skating, defensive responsibilities, and his compete consistency.

• 6 months later...
On ‎2017‎-‎06‎-‎04 at 7:55 AM, DON said:

NHL combine testing results

https://link.nhl.com/centralscouting/public/

Well... according to these results, Joshua Norris is particularly in a good shape...

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

Well... according to these results, Joshua Norris is particularly in a good shape...

One fellow has him as Hab pick and seen him close in others...and he is a centre!

#24 Columbus Blue Jackets: Robert Thomas, Centre

The Blue Jackets continue to build organizational depth down the middle, taking London Knights centre Robert Thomas. Getting help down the middle was a reason why they took Pierre-Luc Dubois one year ago. At this point there are questions if Dubois will be better as a centre or a winger going forward. General manager Jarmo Kekalainen looks to hedge his bets here by taking the best centre available at this point of the draft. Thomas has excellent hands and play making skill. He also plays a tenacious two-way game.

#25 Montreal Canadiens: Josh Norris, Centre

The pick of Thomas just one pick ahead of the Habs is a dagger to a team that must improve its centre situation at all levels of the organization. They now choose to go with US NTDP centre Norris. He is a very good play maker. His speed, changes of direction, and lateral agility allow him to open up passing lanes and get the puck through to his linemates. He has very good vision and hockey IQ, seeing plays develop and making smart plays. He is a bit of a project though, who must get stronger.

I'd be surprised to see Robert Thomas available past  top 20.

Many arm chairs scouts on Internet have him top 10, some as high as top 5 in terms of talent.

1 hour ago, JoeLassister said:

I'd be surprised to see Robert Thomas available past  top 20.

Many arm chairs scouts on Internet have him top 10, some as high as top 5 in terms of talent.

Don't know him at all, but also seen Thomas at 29 and 24 in others.

9 minutes ago, Stogey24 said:

?... I was actually going to ask if there was any chance Bergevin makes an attempt for #1

Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't move galchenyuk as part of a package.

Guest Stogey24
2 minutes ago, hab29RETIRED said:

Wouldn't be surprised if he didn't move galchenyuk as part of a package.

Reeks of a Chucky trade

Patrick interviewed with 15 teams in the past week. 

I wouldn't read too much into it. 

Some of the interviews are due diligence in case there is a trade possibility in a few years. 

Some of the interviews are to ask him about his teammates. 

On Saturday, June 10, 2017 at 6:41 AM, DON said:

Thanks for the link. Why would the Habs protect Emelin? I like him better than many, but there are better uses for that cap space, I'd think.

26 minutes ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

Thanks for the link. Why would the Habs protect Emelin? I like him better than many, but there are better uses for that cap space, I'd think.

I agree about Emelin, just more a brief overview of how Canadian clubs rosters sit.

Couple older bits on draft pick values.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/analyzing-value-nhl-draft-picks/

http://www.milehighhockey.com/2014/7/23/5931789/draft-percentages

5 hours ago, The Chicoutimi Cucumber said:

The globe only has one guy who has any familiarity with the Habs.  There are quite a few guys on the other Canadian teams protection lists make zero sense as well.

• Upvote 1