Draft Day Discussion

dlbalr

2014DraftWhite.jpg

It's draft time so it's time to get the annual thread going. Use this for any discussions/predictions/analysis of Montreal's selections and trades, plus anything interesting coming out of the rest of the league trade-wise.

Here are the selections the Habs currently hold:

26th overall
87th overall
117th overall
125th overall (via NYI)
147th overall
177th overall
207th overall

For your pre-draft reading, be sure to check out our Draft Central page linked below. In there, we have some in-depth articles about some of the prospects likely to go in around #26, assessment of team strengths and weaknesses, our annual mock draft, our draft pool (there's still time to enter), and much more.

HW Draft Central

Of the many mock drafts, Kempe & Lemieux seem most popular name to slot in @26 for Habs.

I would think Kempe is a safe bet, but not so sure on Lemieux?

If LWers Barbashev/Scherbak still on the board, you would think Habs wouldn't pass on either, but both likely to be gone eh, Barbashev almost certainly will be?

Still on trade-down bandwagon; like a trade of 26th to Sabres for their #31 & #61 might be smartest way to go, hope Sabres see a favourite of theirs fall into mid 20s and want to move up.

Agree Don, two picks in that range are better than one. I also think Kempe or Lemieux would be good picks at 26....

I’ve finally finished and Its my biggest draft preview yet….. now with over 100 scouting reports.

75 full reports (800 words or so)
26 smaller reports (100 words or so each)
2 honourable mentions (not a scouting report but a compilation of views on the net).
2 round mock draft.
and a statistical analysis of the top 10

Here is the full list
http://lastwordonsports.com/2014-nhl-draft-headquarters/

I honestly believe this is the best free guide you can get on the internet

• Upvote 1

Ive finally finished and Its my biggest draft preview yet.. now with over 100 scouting reports.

75 full reports (800 words or so)

26 smaller reports (100 words or so each)

2 honourable mentions (not a scouting report but a compilation of views on the net).

2 round mock draft.

and a statistical analysis of the top 10

Here is the full list

http://lastwordonsports.com/2014-nhl-draft-headquarters/

I honestly believe this is the best free guide you can get on the internet

Great stuff. I've kept up with the whole deal, and I know more about prospects this year than ever before. Thanks!

Agree Don, two picks in that range are better than one. I also think Kempe or Lemieux would be good picks at 26....

Stay away from Lemieux. There is a lot of behind the scenes baggage with him over the past couple of seasons that hasn't gotten much discussion in the media. (I only know a bit about it being a Barrie Colts fan and the way he got to Barrie is a bit murky to say the least.)

It's also worth noting that misconducts don't count in PIM totals in the OHL. He had 145 PIMS as it was. I'd hazard a guess that if you added in the misconducts, that number is well into the 200's at the very least. That's usually not 1st round territory if a player is in the box that often.

I would go with Bleackly or Barbishev. Seem like MB type players. It would be tempting to take Ho-Sang if he is there.

Kempe seems like a De La Rose Clone.

Admittedly I only know the prospects but what I have read.

Well, I just filled out my first round ballot for the pool. I have the Habs taking Sarnia's Nikolay Goldobin at 26. Also considered were Connor Bleackley and David Pastrnak. Now for the hard part, guessing the rest of Montreal's picks (I'll post those guesses as well later).

Vancouver just snagged the 24th overall pick from Anaheim, in a highly lopsided deal that sends Ryan Kesler to Anaheim in return for Bonino (who at this point I like better than Kesler on his own), Sbisa, and Anaheim's #1 pick.

Random guesses for the rest of the picks:

87) Vladimir Tkachev, LW, Moncton, QMJHL/Hayden Hodgson, RW, Sarnia, OHL

117) Daniel Audette, C, Sherbrooke, QMJHL/Cody Donaghey, D, Quebec, QMJHL

125) Nick Wolff, D, Eagan HS, USHS-MN/Lucas Wallmark, RW, Lulea, SHL

147) Alexis Pepin, LW, Gatineau, QMJHL/Cameron Darcy, C, Cape Breton, QMJHL

177) Brandon Prophet, D, Saginaw, OHL/Jaedon Descheneau, RW, Kootenay, WHL (really small, may slip)

207) Christian Jaros, D, Lulea, SWE U-18/Christian Wolanin, D, Muskegon, USHL

Logic behind the picks:

- RW/D are two most prominent team needs, teams will look to stock the cupboards as the draft progresses

- Stated commitment to draft more QMJHL players (though I'm not a particular fan of zoning in on any one league)

- Bergevin likes Swedes so I had to get a couple in there

- Last pick should be a 'draft-and-stash' player (college bound or international) for 4 year development time

Anyone else care to guess on any of these picks?

Any chance Emelin gets moved tonight? No trade clause kicks in July.1

I doubt it. It's frowned upon to trade players before their new contract actually kicks in. If they decide to try to trade him later, they can still try to get him to waive the NTC if it's early in the deal or send him to a team not protected with the NTC in a couple of years.

I wouldn't be surprised to see all three Russians there. Can we afford to gamble? Not for me.

With Markov and Emelin to talk them over I wouldnt worry that much about the KHL-factor.

With Markov and Emelin to talk them over I wouldnt worry that much about the KHL-factor.

I am worried about them getting here without interference from the KHL. We know they would be fine once we got them. The KHL would like to stick to the NHL anytime they can.

sure give a frickin wild stab at it.

87- Brett Lernout

117- Anton Karlsson

125- Conner Chatham

147- Julien Pelletier

177- Andrai Mironov

207- Oliver Leblanc

(and of course took Glover for 26th pick)