Could Kessel end up a Hab?

JVD

Scott Cullen of TSN did a wonderful write-up on the Habs today which I think everyone should read as he focuses on the biggest truth about the Habs: we rely too much on our stars. He has the Habs going for Sharp, but needing to move Emelin for cap flexibility. Also wonders (what I do) if buying out PAP is the best option.

The rough truth to me is that the Habs need around 20 more goals in the regular season last year. Because we rely too much on our stars, we are easier to shut down. We need a bigger contribution from the middle lines and the second D pairing. That's where the Jeff Petry signing comes in. After that it's deciding whether PAP can have a bounce back year, if Smith-Pelly can add a new element to our power play, if the team makes a trade for a right winger and what we do with our "second line center logjam".

Guest Stogey24

Scott Cullen of TSN did a wonderful write-up on the Habs today which I think everyone should read as he focuses on the biggest truth about the Habs: we rely too much on our stars. He has the Habs going for Sharp, but needing to move Emelin for cap flexibility. Also wonders (what I do) if buying out PAP is the best option.

The rough truth to me is that the Habs need around 20 more goals in the regular season last year. Because we rely too much on our stars, we are easier to shut down. We need a bigger contribution from the middle lines and the second D pairing. That's where the Jeff Petry signing comes in. After that it's deciding whether PAP can have a bounce back year, if Smith-Pelly can add a new element to our power play, if the team makes a trade for a right winger and what we do with our "second line center logjam".

That does not look like Plekanec in that heading picture

And as for getting Sharp, that's next to impossible... Chicago needs to get rid of his salary not get salary back in return and Montreal doesn't have the room to take him on anyway (as of now).

And as for getting Sharp, that's next to impossible... Chicago needs to get rid of his salary not get salary back in return and Montreal doesn't have the room to take him on anyway (as of now).

The thing sometimes forgotten about cap is that you can be over the cap in the summer.

They have no buy-outs left so buying out PAP is not an option.

The only buyout limits were the compliance (cap-exempt) buyouts; no team could have more than two. There are no limits to the number of regular (2/3 over 2x the remaining length of the deal) buyouts a team can have.

I'll I know is if MB ends up getting the same average to below average players ie. Vermette/Richards just to say he made moves it's gonna be the same result as the past couple years. He needs to come up with something big perhaps huge this summer cause most of the pieces are in place (Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk) to win now and everyone else is easily movable so MB needs to make it happen... as a Habs fan who grew up watching this team realistically contend for a cup every year friggin year to the point where I was spoiled, I'm getting tired of waiting, the chance is now, right now. He could even trade Subban if it meant getting a bonified top scoring center...

Same result the past two years is better than vast majority of league.

Selling out didn't help Rangers get a cup, what makes you think mortgaging future by adding 1 top quality player will be a magic bullet? (it has been tried by many with mixed results)

I think a desire for a BIG MOVE can be dangerous. 'I'm tired of waiting, etc., etc.' - well, so am I, but if the big move blows up in your face you can set the franchise back in a big way. That JVD is even willing to contemplate trading Subban just goes to show how this kind of hunger for dramatic off-season fireworks can lead right over a cliff. I have no problem with a big move, but it has to be the right big move, and if that opportunity isn't out there, then it just isn't; no amount of horniness for the Cup will change that fact.

We may feel like we've all been waiting 22 years. Zoot Suit has been waiting for only three, and he did not expect us to compete for the Cup in those years. His perspective is the much healthier one. This team's Cup window is only now fully open, and acting like this particular generation of Habs has been trying and failing for 22 years is folly.

Guest Stogey24

I'll I know is if MB ends up getting the same average to below average players ie. Vermette/Richards just to say he made moves it's gonna be the same result as the past couple years. He needs to come up with something big perhaps huge this summer cause most of the pieces are in place (Price, Subban, Pacioretty, Gallagher, Galchenyuk) to win now and everyone else is easily movable so MB needs to make it happen... as a Habs fan who grew up watching this team realistically contend for a cup every year friggin year to the point where I was spoiled, I'm getting tired of waiting, the chance is now, right now. He could even trade Subban if it meant getting a bonified top scoring center...

Bro, come on

didnt we already make the mistake of trading away a norris winning dman 25 years ago???

Trading Subban is out out the question for the time being. But JVD is right. MB is moving onto his fourth summer. His fourth season as GM. Time he put his stamp on this team with a star player This team lives and dies with the core that was assembled before he arrived. No its not easy, and no, great players do not grow on trees. The best player he has added to this club since he arrived is Jeff Petry. Then he over paid him. He'll have to do better than that, or has the bar lowered that much in Montreal?

The last thing I want is a GM who makes huge risky moves just to 'put his stamp on the team.' MB's job is not 'put his stamp on the team,' but rather to build a Cup winner. If that means making a huge core-shaking trade, then so be it. But if it doesn't, then it doesn't.

I see posts in this vein of 'BERGEVIN MUST MAKE A MASSIVE MOVE NOW!!!' as working from a correct basic insight - that it's time to shift organizational gears from 'building' to 'contender' mode - but blowing that truth up into a hysterical fantasy of Heroic and Dramatic General Managerial Action. I agree that the window is now open. I am less convinced by this hyperbolic craving for the hockey equivalent of a nuclear strike; smart moves, not necessarily massive and explosive moves, are what we need.

• Upvote 1

What if we like to play "Fantasy GM " Chic? That's what this site is for really..to have discussion and act like MB is actually reading this forum. Maaaaybe we'll somehow influence his next move(if any) Hahaha everything I just said is spoken tongue-in-cheek of course. It's all complete bs

Trade all the 'crap' players I don't like or who are mediocre, for a top quality all star (who many see Kessel as) seems popular demand.

But if you mention that may have to part with a quality part like Gallagher, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, McCarron, Scherbak, Beaulieu to get it done, many tend to reconsider or say NO WAY!

Most other GMs are not that dumb.

Trade all the 'crap' players I don't like or who are mediocre, for a top quality all star (who many see Kessel as) seems popular demand.

But if you mention that may have to part with a quality part like Gallagher, Pacioretty, Galchenyuk, McCarron, Scherbak, Beaulieu to get it done, many tend to reconsider or say NO WAY!

Indeed...as I noted earlier, many of the same people yelling at Bergevin for not making the Big Move for a scoring forward simultaneously reject the idea of acquiring Phil Kessel (!), because his cap hit is massive and he has holes in his game, and because the speculated returns seem too high.

So to sum up: MB is being commanded to acquire an elite offensive forward who is also responsible defensively, has excellent character, and a modest cap hit, in return for spare parts; and any failure to do this is a sign of obvious incompetence or a lack of a will to win. That's not 'armchair GMing.' That's la-la land.

At least JVD had the coherence to say he would trade Subban to get that elusive impact C. I think that's madness, but at least it shows an awareness that, barring freak events, all-stars don't just drop into your lap for free.

• Upvote 1

It's just that people dream for a Seguin or Thornton deal in our favor.

I'd be happy with getting a JVR for a slug like Toronto did.

Indeed...as I noted earlier, many of the same people yelling at Bergevin for not making the Big Move for a scoring forward simultaneously reject the idea of acquiring Phil Kessel (!), because his cap hit is massive and he has holes in his game, and because the speculated returns seem too high.

So to sum up: MB is being commanded to acquire an elite offensive forward who is also responsible defensively, has excellent character, and a modest cap hit, in return for spare parts; and any failure to do this is a sign of obvious incompetence or a lack of a will to win. That's not 'armchair GMing.' That's la-la land.

At least JVD had the coherence to say he would trade Subban to get that elusive impact C. I think that's madness, but at least it shows an awareness that, barring freak events, all-stars don't just drop into your lap for free.

I love this post. It is absolutely true.

See the flip out when the Habs trade third liner Jiri Sekac for third liner Devante Smith-Pelly.

Guest Stogey24

See the flip out when the Habs trade third liner Jiri Sekac for third liner Devante Smith-Pelly.

I still miss Jiri :(