Galchenyuk fires agent, contract talks on hold.

Meller93

If what they say isn't Allan Walsh style whining, then it's Galchenyuk pushing the Habs to pay him more so they use him more.

That might not be the best of strategies on his part. Attempting to ensure a larger role for himself through tougher contract talks probably isn't going to work.

That might not be the best of strategies on his part. Attempting to ensure a larger role for himself through tougher contract talks probably isn't going to work.

He doesn't have very many other ones. If he's extremely serious about this he can hold out and put the Habs back a top sixer. He could head to Russia like some people irrationally fear. Other than that? He can play hardball. That's it. Ryan Johansen played hardball. Wouldn't be surprised if Chuck doesn't re-sign until the summer and hopes Habs fans going insane about it will be enough to push Bergevin's hand.

Wouldn't be surprised if Chuck doesn't re-sign until the summer and hopes Habs fans going insane about it will be enough to push Bergevin's hand.

Bergevin didn't fold with Subban who had accomplished more at this point in his career than Galchenyuk has and the dispute went into the season despite the hilarious mass hysteria from the fans. I can't see a similar attempt yielding a different result this time around.

Bergevin didn't fold with Subban who had accomplished more at this point in his career than Galchenyuk has and the dispute went into the season despite the hilarious mass hysteria from the fans. I can't see a similar attempt yielding a different result this time around.

For sure. Subban accomplished much much more when he went into his first contract negotiations than Chucky at his first. Not even close.

I haven't seen much "fire" from Galchenyuk on the ice as of late. Maybe knocking him down a peg or two during the negotiation is exactly what he needs.

We're a playoff team without him anyway. I wouldn't be too concerned with not signing right away.

I haven't seen much "fire" from Galchenyuk on the ice as of late. Maybe knocking him down a peg or two during the negotiation is exactly what he needs.

We're a playoff team without him anyway. I wouldn't be too concerned with not signing right away.

Yeah. He's an asset for sure, but not one we can't survive without, especially not for a few weeks while he sucks his thumb in the corner. Bergy won't back down. And I agree with your comment about lack of fire. As for forcing the Habs to play him more, his contract is not going to affect MT's usage, so that would be a bizarre linkage to make.

Habs LW without Galchenyuk:

- Pacioretty

- De La Rose

- Prust

- AHLer

Yeah, we need Chuck.

Absolutely, but that is not going to alter Bergevin's plan...

Chucky will sign...

Habs LW without Galchenyuk:

- Pacioretty

- De La Rose

- Prust

- AHLer

Yeah, we need Chuck.

The issue isn't whether we need him, it's whether he is so important that Bergevin should knuckle under before a (hypothetical) attempt by Galy to play hardball. I think the Habs can survive for a period of time without Alex Galchenyuk. We ain't talking Subban or Pacioretty here.

i think these Galchenyuk reports shoot down all of the posts from those that suggested Galchenyuk was satisfied with how he was being utilized this year, as well as the critical posts directed to those of those of us who were critical of Galchenyuk's utilization, because unlike management, we weren't privy to what was going on in the room.

But hey, i guess most of you were right, Prust and Weisse should have gotten more time on the top lines by MT, because like Darche they earned their ice time by being hard working grunts.

• Upvote 1

Galchenyuk has lots of talent. I certainly would hope they can come to an agreement.

What Galchenyuk has not done is demonstrate that talent in any effective way on the ice. The agreement they come to will either reflect that in his compensation, or he can sit down and not play. We don't need him right now. He is not an offensive force on this team. Yes, we need more offense, but he hasn't been bringing it. Obvious, we want that to change, but salaries are based on NOW, not "might be." So either he signs at a very reasonable price, or he sits. If he sits too long, perhaps we see how much some other teams are willing to pay for his potential. Because frankly, all these self-entitled twits who think they deserve big money before they've ever done anything to indicate they've earned it. We've already got one of those on our roster in Lars Eller.

The issue isn't whether we need him, it's whether he is so important that Bergevin should knuckle under before a (hypothetical) attempt by Galy to play hardball. I think the Habs can survive for a period of time without Alex Galchenyuk. We ain't talking Subban or Pacioretty here.

Unless an offer sheet raises it's ugly head.

OK so I read that montreal has submitted their qualifying offers, what confuses me is the article says that this means there can be no offer sheets. Is this true? Cause dosen't that kind of rule out every rfa? If they get a qualifying offer? Made no sense to me.

The QO offer is to to ensure the player doesn't become a UFA, they remain RFA's until they agree to a contract. If they didn't submit a QO would allow a players to become a UFA. Not submitting QO's in 2010 is what got Tallon fired - or at least was the excuse for firing him.

OK so I read that montreal has submitted their qualifying offers, what confuses me is the article says that this means there can be no offer sheets. Is this true? Cause dosen't that kind of rule out every rfa? If they get a qualifying offer? Made no sense to me.

The QO offer is to to ensure the player doesn't become a UFA, they remain RFA's until they agree to a contract. If they didn't submit a QO would allow a players to become a UFA. Not submitting QO's in 2010 is what got Tallon fired - or at least was the excuse for firing him.

That part I understand but why does that preclude anyone from getting an offer sheet? That is what I don't understand

Qualifying offers have nothing whatsoever to do with offer sheets.