Parenteau Bought Out

lazy26

Per Elliotte Friedman, Parenteau has been placed on waivers for the purpose of buying out his contract.

Bergevin better have a replacement lined up; the RW depth is looking a little thin!

Presumably this means two things:

1. He was shopping Parenteau around leading up to the draft but couldn't get a nibble.

2. He is trying to clear cap space for a UFA signing or player acquisition.

Too bad about PAP, I had real hope that he'd supply us with some useful secondary offence. It was worth a shot, IMHO, but in the end his lack of foot-speed meant that he just could not be effective on a team built the way we are. He might do better on a squad like Vancouver that doesn't rely on a speed game.

Per Elliotte Friedman, Parenteau has been placed on waivers for the purpose of buying out his contract.

Bergevin better have a replacement lined up; the RW depth is looking a little thin!

SCHERBAK!

I still view Parenteau as a player that can be productive if put in the right situation. Playing for Therrien was never going to work out, if they'd take him back he should go back to the islanders. All that being said I have to figure Bergevin probably has something in the works to replace Parenteau.

I must admit, I wasn't expecting that. That's certainly not the ideal route to take. They must have had no takers even with 50% retention.

What a complete forking waste of money. I would have thought we could get something for him. Mb made a mistake signing l'il Danny and now we pay the piper. Oh well I guess it gives us little cap space to do something, maybe Sharp is coming.

what is with the 'we' I aint paying a cent of Paranteau's buy out. :nuts:

but agree Briere was a bad deal and one I hated as soon as signed, but later hoped he might add some OK production and then doubled down on misery with basically adding 1 more year of crap player to roster with this guy.

As dlbalr noted, did get 5th round pick (Matt Bradley) from Aves I suppose, so not 100% doom & gloom.

Williams, St. Louis, Stewart, Stafford are all decent options for secondary RW scoring.

I don't think Stewart has much of a chance, even being a local boy. Just not enough character and effort from him over the last few years. St. Louis could be interesting given his speed, leadership, and dedication to the game. I think Drew Stafford may be the target, though. He's big, young(er), and put up decent points after joining the Jets.

"we" aren't paying it but "we" are affected by our team wasting cap space on a bum like PAP.

but agree Briere was a bad deal and one I hated as soon as signed, but later hoped he might add some OK production and then doubled down on misery with basically adding 1 more year of crap player to roster with this guy.

As dlbalr noted, did get 5th round pick (Matt Bradley) from Aves I suppose, so not 100% doom & gloom.

No doom and gloom cause like you said it is Molson's money not mine. just frustrated with a bad deal turning into a worse deal. It slows the march to the cup. As everyone knows I am a big supporter of MB, but he gets an f on that deal. Mind you if he snags sharp then all is forgiven. :)

• Upvote 1

W don't want anything to do with St. Louis. He is another washed up old player whose best years are behind him. Having said that, i guess MB may try to sign him.

If Stewart is wiling to sign a short cheap deal, i wouldn't mind taking a flyer on him, although I think he may end up being nothing more than Bourque, but is still a better gamble than St. Louis, who the last two years has shown he isn't much of a team guy - even when he is pretty much almost was he up.

Williams, St. Louis, Stewart, Stafford are all decent options for secondary RW scoring.

I don't think Stewart has much of a chance, even being a local boy. Just not enough character and effort from him over the last few years. St. Louis could be interesting given his speed, leadership, and dedication to the game. I think Drew Stafford may be the target, though. He's big, young(er), and put up decent points after joining the Jets.

The Briere for PAP was the only deal I didn't like from MB. Mostly because of the extra year.

Who cares if it's a waste of money, it's Molson's money to waste.

There are some decent options, Richards was bought out as well, and Belesky is out there. Not sure what positions they play.

The other option is Sherbak and McCarron, who are both RWers.

So there are options. some to be had for pretty cheap i'll bet, especially since the habs have been contenders for the past couple of years.

The Briere for PAP was the only deal I didn't like from MB. Mostly because of the extra year.

Who cares if it's a waste of money, it's Molson's money to waste.

There are some decent options, Richards was bought out as well, and Belesky is out there. Not sure what positions they play.

The other option is Sherbak and McCarron, who are both RWers.

So there are options. some to be had for pretty cheap i'll bet, especially since the habs have been contenders for the past couple of years.

Richards is another washed out out of shape over-rated Don Cherry player that Don Cherry has had a love fest for. Belesky will probably get stupid money.

Hard to believe no takers for PAP at 2.25 mill for 1 year isn't it? For a conditional 7th or something? Habs only get the pick if they miss the playoffs or along those lines. Hell PAP and we'll swap 7ths. I'm just not a fan of the extra year taking a cap hit. That's why it affects us fans. 1.5 mill of empty cap. That's weise+

I think MB goes after MSL. Might even take less money to move back home. 6Mill/2yr

I highly doubt we are going after MSL. From what a lot of people have been saying is he wants to stay around the NY area and Islanders could be a serious option. It makes sense to me young group of forwards that could use a veteran forward that knows what it takes to win.