Parenteau Bought Out

lazy26

Boy, when you put it that way, why NOT go out and get Sharp?

Seriously, Sharp is better than having PAP/Gilbert. Sharp has the extra year on his contract when compared to these guys but who cares - cap goes up next year anyways :)

I'm not convinced Sharp is a good idea. You're looking at spending 6 million for a 43 point -8 guy on the best team in hockey. DD gives you 48 points @+22 on a less impressive roster for 3.5 million. I certainly don't understand the people who are screaming to get rid of DD while clamoring for an overpaid also-ran like Patrick Sharp.

• Upvote 1

I'm not convinced Sharp is a good idea. You're looking at spending 6 million for a 43 point -8 guy on the best team in hockey. DD gives you 48 points @+22 on a less impressive roster for 3.5 million. I certainly don't understand the people who are screaming to get rid of DD while clamoring for an overpaid also-ran like Patrick Sharp.

Yep, those are valid concerns for sure. Conversely, he IS one year removed from a 34-goal season.

We need to add a top-6 FW. That much is clear. Whether it's Sharp, Frolik, Beleskey, Williams, or something else, most of the obvious 'gets' come with an asterisk. Sharp: is he done? Frolik is a nice add but obviously second-tier. Beleskey isn't a clear-cut top-6 FW and is apparently streaky with work ethic issues. Williams is on the downside and has behavioural question-marks. Etc., etc., etc.. My personal favourite is Frolik, but that's a pretty arbitrary preference (I like his youth and his consistent back-to-back seasons).

The alternative, other than acquiring one of these so-so players, is to go for the huge, core-altering blockbuster. A large segment of the Wanna-Be GMs on this site favours this. But too often their fantasy amounts to Ovechkin for Desharnais. The real-life asterisk that comes with the core-shaking sort of move is the massive cost in terms of prospects and young players (Galy, Beaulieu, etc.), as well as the enormous and long-term cap implications of most such deals.

Basically, there's no perfect answer here, in a bad UFA year. I'm sure MB will add one of these less-than-ideal elements. And hopefully that'll combine with other factors to give us that added offensive oomph. If he goes for Sharp, it'll be because he'd rather overpay Sharp for two years than Frolik or Beleskey for 5-6. Fair enough. I expect to be reasonably, cautiously optimistic about whatever MB settles on. What I don't expect is an obvious, problem-free, can't miss, all-purpose Solution.

Sharp is actually(or was) a legit top 6 player, unlike the others mentioned.

The cost of acquiring him is the question, no question he is a better player than Belesky, Frolik, or Williams but what is the price to be?

It's not like a veteran top winger would hurt us, but not at the cost of substantial weakening of the organization.

Dbalr has me conformed to get off the Sharp bandwagon I was on a few months back, so I really hope Bergevin stays away...

Sharp is actually(or was) a legit top 6 player, unlike the others mentioned.

The cost of acquiring him is the question, no question he is a better player than Belesky, Frolik, or Williams but what is the price to be?

It's not like a veteran top winger would hurt us, but not at the cost of substantial weakening of the organization.

Dbalr has me conformed to get off the Sharp bandwagon I was on a few months back, so I really hope Bergevin stays away...

I want nothing to do with Sharp. If we are going to give away assets, i want to give it away for someone who is going to get better over time, not for someone who is already on the downswing.