The Route for a 1st line RW

JoeLassister

So a couple people didn't appear to like Erat as a possibility...what's the concern with him?

He's 33 so not too old yet, is probably a 45-55 point guy for the 2nd line LW and is equally consistent in the playoffs and is respectable in his own end.

You can argue about if he can still put up those points but outside of last year in Arizona that's what he's been pretty consistently. If anything his time last season probably makes him a bit of a short term contract bargain.

I think he could do well with Plekanec and Gallagher and fit in with the Habs style of play...

I still think Galchenyuk should move to C full time on the 1st line so it would mean trying to find a LWer and a RWer...perhaps Erat could still be a reasonably priced fit for 2nd line LW duty...and he's certainly no worse then most other LW UFA's.

So a couple people didn't appear to like Erat as a possibility...what's the concern with him?

He's 33 so not too old yet, is probably a 45-55 point guy for the 2nd line LW and is equally consistent in the playoffs and is respectable in his own end.

You can argue about if he can still put up those points but outside of last year in Arizona that's what he's been pretty consistently. If anything his time last season probably makes him a bit of a short term contract bargain.

Personally, I don't mind Erat but he's not a 45-55 point guy anymore. He hasn't hit that in three years and when he was in that range, he was a front liner. I think he's a 2nd/3rd line 'tweener' right now which still isn't all that bad, especially for a cap-strapped team.

Scrap Oshie off the wish list for RW help, he's off to Washington.

I honestly feel that RW will be this come opening day:

Gallagher

Kassian

DSP

Weise

Maybe, ahem..., maybe Scherbak or McCarron get called up when an injury happens but I don't see anymore changes coming except a salary dump like Gilbert's.

Erat put up close to a 40 point pace a 2 years ago and that was despite some injuries and a mid season trade. I think last year was a write off due to being on Arizona...no reason he can't be a 45 point 2nd line guy with decent line mates, no 1st line pressure and some 2nd unit PP time. Pleks and Gallagher could offer that if the Habs could find a 1st line RWer to pair with Pacioretty and Galchenyuk.

He could be a serviceable 2nd line winger at a reasonable price...what PAP was supposed to be but with better two way play.

I'd sign that deal and start shaking trees to acquire a legit scoring RWer to see if we can elevate that 1st line into 3 guys with 70 point potential...something I thought Kessel could have provided even if he is a meat head. Sharp is a nice player too but he doesn't bring the scoring potential/ceiling up as much...but he is the kind of guy you want on your team generally. JMHO.