Should the Habs sign Andrei Kostitsyn?

habs rule

No, don't agree. He is as negative as he can get, AK46 was 6th in forward icetime last year as a Habs...so a top six forward, not 3rd liner...etc

But, he may be very wise don't dispute that, just bit off on fallout-boy critique.

But I have had a few drinks this afternoon so. mostly just be argumentative and do feel a low salary/1 year deal might be low-risk? Wont happen as dlbalr already noted, he is still unsigned, so no matter what that old coach said about his play this year, he may be toast as far as NHL is concerned?

You will get your wish, have no fear sir, he will not be signed and Sharp will be.

Just spitballin what if's.

Frankly, i'd much rather take a $1m flyer on AK46 or Semin, than give up assets for a declining Sharp for two more years at $5.9M. I'd rather either trade assets for a good young player who will only get better, or take a flyer at a bargain bin rate on a Ak46, Semin or Stewart (although, i still think someone will overpay for Stewart).

I"m tired of habs being full sticker price for old declining assets like Gomez and Briere. If you are going to get someone past their best before dates, they need to come with a sharp discount.

I think it's a good gamble at $1M to sign Semin or AK46 and even if you only get 15 goals out of them, that's a hell of a lot better than the production we got from PAP at over $4M last year.

You know what's better than low risk? No risk. What's no risk?

Not signing Andrei Kostitsyn.

No risk means no progress from last year.

Frankly, i'd much rather take a $1m flyer on AK46 or Semin, than give up assets for a declining Sharp for two more years at $5.9M.

Here's the thing about declining assets: they are still an asset. Alex Semin and Andrei Kostitsyn are not assets. They are persona non grata.

When you're a veteran player you're not allowed to have slumps. You're immediately identified as being a declining asset. Patrick Sharp put up 41 points in 55 games last season when you don't include his February slump of just two points in 13 games. Put that into perspective for a second. He had a 19 game goalless drought and a terrible February and you're ready to cross him off as "just another declining asset" but would rather take Alex Semin who had wrist surgery then played through the whole thing through pain and certainly still wasn't playing well in his final games of the season. Or you want Andrei Kostitsyn, who was declining in the NHL and inconsistent in the KHL?

Also everyone who remembers the trashfire that was 2011-2012 would remember that AK was on the third line with Lars Eller. If you don't want to dig through GDTs, just look at TOI:G

- Plekanec: 20:45

- Gionta: 19:26

- Cole: 18:31

- Bourque (traded to MTL, 38 games): 18:29

- Desharnais: 18:23

- Pacioretty: 18;15

- Cammalleri (traded to CGY, 38 games): 17:49

- Moen: 15:42

- Eller: 15:18

- Kostitsyn (traded to NAS, 53 games): 15:10

He was one of the 9 players to get more than a minute of PP time (Cammalleri, Gionta, Bourque all played under 40 games) and when it comes to ES TOI:G, he was 8th (Pacioretty-Desharnais-Cole was top followed by Bourque-Plek-Gionta, then the traded Cammalleri). He was by no means a top six player based on his minutes. But you should have already known that when you tried to argue it.

The fact that he has been mediocre in the KHL really should put paid to the argument, shouldn't it? At what point do we sit down and accept that, even if Kosty made a valuable contribution in his heyday, his heyday was, like, six years ago? The whole line of discussion can - as habs rule concedes - really only be explained as the completely idle, hey-what-if chatter of a hockey-less summer.

Frankly, Semin or even Hodgson might be better signings. Hodgson, at least, is only one year removed from a promising season. And who knows, even that bum Semin might be motivated to revive his career again on a one-year deal - and he's been a PPG player when highly motivated. Not that I especially favour(ed) signing either of these slobs.

The fact that he has been mediocre in the KHL really should put paid to the argument, shouldn't it? At what point do we sit down and accept that, even if Kosty made a valuable contribution in his heyday, his heyday was, like, six years ago? The whole line of discussion can - as habs rule concedes - really only be explained as the completely idle, hey-what-if chatter of a hockey-less summer.

Frankly, Semin or even Hodgson might be better signings. Hodgson, at least, is only one year removed from a promising season. And who knows, even that bum Semin might be motivated to revive his career again on a one-year deal - and he's been a PPG player when highly motivated. Not that I especially favour(ed) signing either of these slobs.

To be clear, Kostitsyn went on a tear after being dumped by his team but disappeared in the playoffs. He played great for Belarus in the IIHF but as Habs fans and our previous Europeans we should know by now how much that matters to NHL results.

The closest I see to a player that could pull together a Steve Sullivan type season is Brad Boyes. Nobody in the NHL could figure out why Florida bought him out. Even then I want to see what the kids can do. The whole reason Bud Holloway left the LA Kings development system (after two years of being the Monarchs leading scorer) to Europe was because they wouldn't make any room for him (he wasn't the only King prospect to do it either). We got a Nikita Scherbak at 200+lbs and Mike McCarron now 6'6". Andrighetto and Thomas will have another year of development as well. I'd rather try a kid in our system than clog our roster with never beens.

So what some of you are saying is if you had a free throw in basketball for 1 million bucks you wouldn't take it cause you never made one before? Here we have a guy who will cost nothing 0$ and may result in 20 goals and you won't take the shot? really? come on you would so.

Here is a thought for you all, who's property was Devan Dubnyk prior to 2014-15? Oh that is right he was ours, a complete toss in on some trade. We let him go. Where is he now? Would he have been a better back up than who we got? hmmm but hey he was washed up a loser a pos. I mean I said he was. Never underestimate what an athlete cam accomplish if he wants to and has pride, and is given the opportunity. Never.

If our kids actually are going to get a chance id be okay with that plan, but we are probably going to see more of Weisse or Flynn being up the lineup.

I also think if ak46 or Semin are motivated and come in wanting I prove something on a one year deal, I think it's a good gamble. They still need to earn their spot like the kids.

To be clear, Kostitsyn went on a tear after being dumped by his team but disappeared in the playoffs. He played great for Belarus in the IIHF but as Habs fans and our previous Europeans we should know by now how much that matters to NHL results.

The closest I see to a player that could pull together a Steve Sullivan type season is Brad Boyes. Nobody in the NHL could figure out why Florida bought him out. Even then I want to see what the kids can do. The whole reason Bud Holloway left the LA Kings development system (after two years of being the Monarchs leading scorer) to Europe was because they wouldn't make any room for him (he wasn't the only King prospect to do it either). We got a Nikita Scherbak at 200+lbs and Mike McCarron now 6'6". Andrighetto and Thomas will have another year of development as well. I'd rather try a kid in our system than clog our roster with never beens.

One thing about Therrien you either love or hate is that he has no problem cutting down a veteran who isn't hustling unlike a lot of coaches.

That said, I don't understand the people who think AK or Semin are good potential signings and think either will play well in a Michel Therrien coaching environment. Even if Andrei had 20 goals in him, his skating is even slower now and he rarely back checked in the NHL so Therrien would have him stapled to the bench before he fired 20 shots at a net, let alone 20 goals. It's terrible fits by any indication.

Dream on I guess?

If our kids actually are going to get a chance id be okay with that plan, but we are probably going to see more of Weisse or Flynn being up the lineup.

I also think if ak46 or Semin are motivated and come in wanting I prove something on a one year deal, I think it's a good gamble. They still need to earn their spot like the kids.

that is it in a nut shell no guarantees.

I don't have time to write an elaborate reason why Semin or AK46 would be bad signings.....

But no, Therrien would slice and dice them both for being slack...

No please, no signing for these 2 bums.

I Think AK might be a good signing 1yr i mil I agree with Habs Rule if he sucks dump his @@##$ to the min

I am new to this site I am originally from Moncton NB and now live in evil Bruin land Manchester NH I am a diehard Habs fan even my license plate is HABS4EV.

I Think AK might be a good signing 1yr i mil I agree with Habs Rule if he sucks dump his @@##$ to the min

I am new to this site I am originally from Moncton NB and now live in evil Bruin land Manchester NH I am a diehard Habs fan even my license plate is HABS4EV.

It's the best site goin! Welcome to the forum

Welcome!

Hodgson signed in Nashville already on a one year cheap deal.

So what some of you are saying is if you had a free throw in basketball for 1 million bucks you wouldn't take it cause you never made one before? Here we have a guy who will cost nothing 0$ and may result in 20 goals and you won't take the shot? really? come on you would so.

I have no issue with the Habs taking a gamble on a player like this. I have concerns with that player being Kostitsyn though. Keep in mind he was waived in the KHL last season. His motivation to return to the NHL is probably two-fold - one, his value in the KHL isn't very high and two, he's two NHL games away from collecting a full NHL pension.

Welcome aboard.

Hodgson signed in Nashville already on a one year cheap deal.

I have no issue with the Habs taking a gamble on a player like this. I have concerns with that player being Kostitsyn though. Keep in mind he was waived in the KHL last season. His motivation to return to the NHL is probably two-fold - one, his value in the KHL isn't very high and two, he's two NHL games away from collecting a full NHL pension.

Yes, I know Hodgson signed - I phrase my comment carefully to factor that in. As for Kosty, if "he was waived in the KHL," that should say it all.

Welcome aboard.

So he is going to try real hard for 2 games? all kidding aside that is an interesting little tid bit that I was not aware of.

Welcome to cwo4life.

So he is going to try real hard for 2 games? all kidding aside that is an interesting little tid bit that I was not aware of.

Welcome to cwo4life.

"Trying real hard for 2 games" - wouldn't be the first time.

I personally feel MB is waiting to sign Galchenyuk to know how much room he has left. Galchenyuk agent is putting 5 deals on the table 2,3,6,7and 8 year deals. Once MB knows what he has he will make a move. Everyday that goes pass at this stage the asking price comes down to available free agents or trades from cash strapped teams. I think MB would like to get Sharp but he would have to trade either Gilbert or Emelin to make it happen. There are many other options besides Kostitsyn. Chris Stewart price comes down for example I think he would be a better fit then Kostitsyn. I also think its possible the Habs pull off a big deal with Carolina for Eric Stall only if he can re sign him to a long term contract with Eller or Deshanais and another piece and prospect going the other way

I personally feel MB is waiting to sign Galchenyuk to know how much room he has left. Galchenyuk agent is putting 5 deals on the table 2,3,6,7and 8 year deals. Once MB knows what he has he will make a move. Everyday that goes pass at this stage the asking price comes down to available free agents or trades from cash strapped teams. I think MB would like to get Sharp but he would have to trade either Gilbert or Emelin to make it happen. There are many other options besides Kostitsyn. Chris Stewart price comes down for example I think he would be a better fit then Kostitsyn. I also think its possible the Habs pull off a big deal with Carolina for Eric Stall only if he can re sign him to a long term contract with Eller or Deshanais and another piece and prospect going the other way

I think we'll get along just fine