Habs acquire Mike Weaver

dlbalr

Wow, Habs love picking up scraps for D on deadline day. I see no reason why Weaver, Murray, Bouillon and Drewiske will be with the team next year. Would rather see Tinordi and Beaulieu in the lineup.

Because most teams utilize and need about 11 different d-men for a season.

Murray has been awesome pick-up, teammate and added much needed size-grit to back end, especially at the price, extend him seems much smarter to do than replace with...well there is no other example of a Murray out there?

I've seen Mike Weaver play 30-40 times, the best way I can describe him is that he's another Gorges. He's a useful piece at a cheap price.

Too bad, I am one of those who think that we have one Gorges too many.

Too bad, I am one of those who think that we have one Gorges too many.

I'm not happy with this being the big splash for the second year in a row. Mike Weaver is a scrub, but we'll get twenty good games out of him. My issue is the organizational philosophy of throwing away two fifths and a seventh for Parros/Weaver/Drewiske when we wouldn't pony up one of our three 2nds for a good piece when we were in second place last year. Pennywise, pound foolish.

Wit the Habs set in defence and goal for the foreseeable future, it's the forward group we need to invest in. We don't have any real exciting guys in the pipeline, except maybe Colberg. If we want to capitalize on the the primes of Price, Pacioretty and Subban, we shouldn't be afraid to move some high draft picks for skilled forwards in the 20-27 year old range that we can lock up long term. Trying to build through the draft can take a year or two off at this point, in my opinion.

Lovett, keep waiting for that "big splash." ;) I seriously doubt it's happening. Parenteau would be as "big" as it gets IMHO for Zoot Suit on Deadline Day - and I'll be surprised if he manages even that.

I generally don't share DON's rah-rah propensities, but I agree with him on this pick up. There is no conceivable way this deal hurts us, and it just might help.

I'm not happy with this being the big splash for the second year in a row. Mike Weaver is a scrub, but we'll get twenty good games out of him. My issue is the organizational philosophy of throwing away two fifths and a seventh for Parros/Weaver/Drewiske when we wouldn't pony up one of our three 2nds for a good piece when we were in second place last year. Pennywise, pound foolish.

Maybe we stay positive and hope that something (or somethings) will change in the top 9, which is our biggest issue by far. This helps the balance out a wee bit in the back end.

Honestly i'm think Murray may be sitting out more than Tinordi. Don't you think that it's better for Jared's development to to play on his natural position with another stay-at-home, grizzly veteran? Who needs TWO crease clearers on the same pair? Tinordi can fill that role while Weaver helps the kid out.

Maybe we stay positive and hope that something (or somethings) will change in the top 9, which is our biggest issue by far. This helps the balance out a wee bit in the back end.

Honestly i'm think Murray may be sitting out more than Tinordi. Don't you think that it's better for Jared's development to to play on his natural position with another stay-at-home, grizzly veteran? Who needs TWO crease clearers on the same pair? Tinordi can fill that role while Weaver helps the kid out.

Even if Weaver plays on the third pairing, there's no puck mover, so this is another lateral moves. Let's see what MB does in the offseason. Deadline deals are usually roaches anyway (PHI just gave up a second/third/prospect for Andy McDonald) but if MB plays small ball in the offseason, it's bad news.

We've given up two consecutive 5th rounders. Gally was a 5th rounder, and Timmins seems like he can get more value from that part of the draft than most. But it probably doesn't matter.

Weaver's good fancy stats give me a little hope that Bergevin isn't stuck in a 90's conception of hockey, but it's probably just a coincidence. I doubt this move leads to any other big moves on defense, and I find that a little confusing. We already have Drewiske and Bouillon not playing, and Beaulieu stewing in the minors. Weaver will likely bump Tinordi out. I don't really see the point.

Wit the Habs set in defence and goal for the foreseeable future, it's the forward group we need to invest in. We don't have any real exciting guys in the pipeline, except maybe Colberg. If we want to capitalize on the the primes of Price, Pacioretty and Subban, we shouldn't be afraid to move some high draft picks for skilled forwards in the 20-27 year old range that we can lock up long term. Trying to build through the draft can take a year or two off at this point, in my opinion.

I don't think Colberg is very exciting so far. I doubt very much that he will ever play in the NHL.

Because most teams utilize and need about 11 different d-men for a season.

Murray has been awesome pick-up, teammate and added much needed size-grit to back end, especially at the price, extend him seems much smarter to do than replace with...well there is no other example of a Murray out there?

That is true, cause everyone else can skate. I am joking :)

I don't think Colberg is very exciting so far. I doubt very much that he will ever play in the NHL.

Ditto. He's underwhelmed since his draft year. I mean he's still young and all, but isn't developing all that potential for shit where he is right now.

hmm.. very nice.

The comparison that instantly came to mind is.. a poor man's Bieksa. Very much like Gorges but tough as nails like Franky B. BIG upgrade on Drewiske and is way more important to the make up of the team than Weber. AKA Balance.

I like this move. Defense +1, folks. No matter how you shake it.

Now if only MT is smart enough to pair him with Emelin and drop Gorges down to the bottom six with one of the kids. Emelin goes back to left and starts to dominate again and we have a pair that will seriously hurt the opposition. Am i right??

Even if Weaver plays on the third pairing, there's no puck mover, so this is another lateral moves. Let's see what MB does in the offseason. Deadline deals are usually roaches anyway (PHI just gave up a second/third/prospect for Andy McDonald) but if MB plays small ball in the offseason, it's bad news.

I believe he is a better puck mover and passer then his assist totals suggest.

On the topic of MacDonald, would you have prefered the habs to ship out a 2nd and 3rd rounder (never mind the prospect who looks to be an AHLer at best) for a player who could be a rental and will require a significant contract to retain? Personally, I see value in MacDonald but the pick Philly gave up are 98% wasted unless they resign him (which they could have done in the summer anyway) and a low ball contract for MacDonald is likely 4Mill per for a number of years. Despite his value, I don't think he is the type of D man the Habs need to take the next step.

What I wonder is how much more it would have cost to get Tom Gilbert?

I believe he is a better puck mover and passer then his assist totals suggest.

No he isn't... not saying that to be a douche, I had season tickets to the Panthers last year. He was actually a healthy scratch down here for a stretch, he was knocked out of the lineup by some AHLers, I think Dylan Olsen and Ed Jovanovski who makes Frankie B look like Rob Blake.

As for Gilbert, lots of love from the advanced stats guys, he's really cooled off, that being said, he's a great compliment to Brian Campbell and imo will be resigned like Boyes. If I were MB, I would have ante'd up for Kulikov.

• Upvote 1

What would you move for him? Tinordi, or Georges and a 2nd?

Thinking about Florida's needs it's tricky. But given their need to reach the cap floor and an owner committed to spending money, I think Eller would have been enough. By all rights, given Kulikov's play and contract status, they should get a late round pick back in the deal. Kulikov is a complimentary player, he would be great with someone like Markov or Gorgesm but in Florida, he doesn't have a defensive stalwart to cover up for him. Their stay at home dman is Gudbranson, who's still learning the game.

all this trade means to me is that the staff and organization are not sold on Tinordi or Beaulieu down the home stretch, both will finish off the season in Hamilton, and Murray - Weaver fill the bottom pairing,

unless there is more to come...

That is true, cause everyone else can skate. I am joking :)

I left that door ajar and was expecting somone to comment on that! :clap:

cheers

Been reading reports that Gorges is hurt and will be out a long time.... this deal makes sense in that it didn't cost much, and maybe he will resign with us next year on a two way? .... if not, a sufficient replacement for Gorges injury time, D depth is good :thumbs_up: