Bourque on waivers!

Meller93

I wouldn't want that bum anywhere near are prospects. Can't we loan him out to an ECHL team?

Maybe Bourque goes down and sulks or maybe he goes down and works on things and becomes a real productive player for the Bulldogs. The league style of play has changed so much, in even the last two years; some players will excel, some players will fail---- not everybody is going to be a good fit. Hope Rene rises to the challenge.

i for one dont have "to despise" a player to know he needs replaced.

one thing Eller has going for him that dd does not.................Eller showed up and played great in atleast one play off year...................dd has yet to do that.

one thing Eller has going for him that dd does not.................Eller showed up and played great in atleast one play off year...................dd has yet to do that.

Yes, but that's an unfair comparison because DD would have had an excellent playoff as well if he were paired up with the likes of Bourque just like Eller was lucky enough to be for said playoffs. /end sarcasm

There's a huge difference between the "strong playoffs" that Mike Cammalleri had and the "strong playoffs" Rene Bourque had.

Bourque was facing secondary defensive players with Eller and finding ways to score. Cammalleri was facing the top defensive units of the Capitals, Penguins, Flyers and Bruins and was scoring at a torrid pace.

There's absolutely nothing saying Bourque is going to repeat his performances on another team. Cammalleri just didn't get a chance on a bad Flames team.

I wouldn't want that bum anywhere near are prospects. Can't we loan him out to an ECHL team?

Nope. No NHL'er can be forced to go to the ECHL without his consent. If they're concerned about him affecting their prospects negatively (and I don't think they are), they could try to make a loan arrangement with another AHL team. I don't see that happening though. Either he'll be traded rather quickly with salary retained or they'll keep him down for a bit and bring him back up later on.

Nope. No NHL'er can be forced to go to the ECHL without his consent. If they're concerned about him affecting their prospects negatively (and I don't think they are), they could try to make a loan arrangement with another AHL team. I don't see that happening though. Either he'll be traded rather quickly with salary retained or they'll keep him down for a bit and bring him back up later on.

Therrien said the purpose for the demotion was to give him a chance to find his game. So your point about him possibly getting called up later rings true. Though I wouldn't expect any coach to say anything different. The Habs will continue to shop him but if he somehow magically finds his game down there it may allow us to move him or call him up if were dealing with significant injuries. I hope this is just the huge wake up call he needs.

There's a huge difference between the "strong playoffs" that Mike Cammalleri had and the "strong playoffs" Rene Bourque had.

Bourque was facing secondary defensive players with Eller and finding ways to score. Cammalleri was facing the top defensive units of the Capitals, Penguins, Flyers and Bruins and was scoring at a torrid pace.

There's absolutely nothing saying Bourque is going to repeat his performances on another team. Cammalleri just didn't get a chance on a bad Flames team.

and cam was on torrid pace in montreal before he forced the trade...think he was on pace for like a nine goal season.

My girlfriend thought Bourque was good looking during warm ups vs FLA. Of course, Rene Bourque of all people doesn't wear a helmet during warm ups. All the more reason to hate Bourque.

Well, now he's back on the farm heeyiheeyiOH!

Toss up - Kessel-Semin or Cammalleri, as to who is softest floater in NHL.

there is no comparison. Semin is a more skilled, but an over-paid Bourque. Kessel at least produces, but has the intelligence of a 7 year old. Cammy just spent too much time reading his own press clippings from the kings and flames.

• Upvote 1

well now that Bourque is gone it has to be Semin.

Come on, Rene is not a powder-puff player like the 3 butterfly chasers I mentioned, he will at least hit (a bit) and go into a corner or two (when he is feelin it), hands of stone now but crap happens to some careers.

And I was just railing agin the +Cammalleri reference of someone anyways.

Well, I am pleased the Bourke is no longer with the Canadiens. I guess the best that we can hope for is that Bourke tears it up in the AHL and MB is able to trade him for some kind of asset without retaining the max allowable salary. Surely there is a team that could use the salary savings as it uses his higher cap hit to get to the cap floor? When are the NY Islanders of old when you really need them? Of course with NYI it would probably have to be a 2016 or 2017 draft pick

Brian--- There is no waivers if he goes back to Canadiens at some point. There would be waivers if he subsequently was returned to the Bulldogs?

It depends on the circumstances that warrant him returning to Montreal. If it's an emergency recall, he's exempt for 10 games/21 days regardless of how much time elapses between now and the time he's brought up. If it's a regular recall, he'd need waivers once his 30-day waiver exemption clock (which started yesterday) expires.

I can't believe people mention Phil Kessel in the same breath as this turd. Kessel is a prodigiously skilled, deadly, highly-productive winger, one of the best pure offensive threats in hockey. Idiots can complain that he is not physical; you may as well have said the same thing about Guy Lafleur. Cammalleri is not as good, but still a reliably offensive sparkplug and a repeatedly superb playoff performer. Bourque is a bum, a turd, a worthless POS who plays purely for a paycheque, who has one good playoff in 10 years, and who finally miscalculated in his quest to remain in the NHL while doing the bare minimum. Drawing any correlation between Kessel and Cammy - two legit, high-end NHLers - and this slug is a grave injustice to the former two.

You should have heard Ray Ferraro on Bourque on the radio yesterday. He just let him have it. Called him "infuriating" because he's so naturally gifted and does so little with those gifts. It was the frustration of someone who battled all his life to carve out a distinguished NHL career contemplating someone with twice the talent and 1/10 the results. Bourque has ZERO respect from anyone in hockey. And rightly so. I'm fed up with these Kovalev/Kostitsyn/Bourque/Eller enigmas. If we never see Bourque in the CH again it'll be too soon.

A random thought that just came to me - as a result of clearing waivers and getting sent down, Bourque's paycheques are about to get bigger. Why? There's no escrow withholding in the AHL. While this may not seem like much, keep in mind that the Q1 escrow rate this season is 14%.

A random thought that just came to me - as a result of clearing waivers and getting sent down, Bourque's paycheques are about to get bigger. Why? There's no escrow withholding in the AHL. While this may not seem like much, keep in mind that the Q1 escrow rate this season is 14%.

Hey a 14% raise is ok. In my case 14%of nothing is still nothing. :)

Hey, I hate the Leafs as much as the next guy, but Kessel most certainly does not float. I hear that too much from ignorant leaf fans who underestimate their team's best points and ignore the real problems.

Kessel has his flaws in his own end, but it's not for lack of effort. He'd certainly be on the top line on any team in hockey, though, and if you don't think so you're letting your justifiable distaste for the make-be-Leafs blind you. While the Leafs have squandered it now, Kessel gave them 4 years of bona-fide top 5 NHL scorers before anybody even noticed the names Hamilton or Seguin. It was one of the better things that idiot Brian Burke ever did... sure, Seguin has finally turned into the star he could have been a long time ago (it took a trade to Dallas for him to show up - he would never have succeeded in Toronto or Boston. Chemistry is everything), and Dougie Hamilton is just coming into his own too, but Kessel has already been there for 6 years and his best years are still to come. (He's on pace for 44 goals this year, if he keeps it up.)

Don't make the mistake of confusing your derision for a poorly managed former rival that can't make the playoffs for misjudging the individual players on the team. The problems with the Leafs do not include Phil Kessel. (Nor, incidentally, do they include Dion Phaneuf - although his contract is most certainly a major problem.)