Kassian Dealt for Scrivens

Lovett's Magnatones

How can you possibly say that? Prust was great for this team and he has the same or better point totals than all Habs bottom 6 and was also one of the best fighters in the game.

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've read here, at that's coming from a guy who makes 80% of these statements on here.

I think this trade may be a sign that Price is going to be out longer than expected. Even then, it's a lousy trade, because if that is the case, we needed a better goalie.

Unless MB makes another deal in a hurry to get some help on RW, this is was a dumb move. Only reason it makes any sense at all is if Kassian already started drinking again.

You could be right. (I assume Kass is off the sauce; if he's already back on it, then this is a great trade).

I see the trade as a short-term bolstering of the G designed to stop the bottom from falling out completely. Thus, the idea is to platoon Condon and Scrivens on the assumption that this will allow us to rest Condon adequately, thus stabilizing what has been a highly unreliable situation in nets. Tokarski was inadequate and this was hurting Condon.

Thus, we're trading a long-shot, high-ceiling asset for short-term help, in order to stop the team from free-falling out of a playoff spot.

If Scrivens cannot provide NHL-quality goaltending, then the trade is a low-grade disaster. All we'll have done is throw away one option for our weakest position (RW).

Guest Stogey24

That's one of the most ridiculous things I've read here, at that's coming from a guy who makes 80% of these statements on here.

What I said is true

I agree, I like Prust. he did bring toughness to the team.

He ran himself out of town unfortunately with his antics in the playoffs. I personally would not have moved him.

If you like soft, perimeter hockey, you got it.

What I said is true

I was talking about the whole 5th being better than an NHL veteran theory.

People are forgetting that Benning called Bergevin about Prust. He wasn't run out of town for his antics. Bergevin was banking on Kassian being a contributor.

So what's the next dumpster dive? Chris Stewart? Vinny?

If you like soft, perimeter hockey, you got it.

The same soft perimeter hockey that gave us one of the best starts in Habs history? Absolutely.

If you want the Habs to make a big deal, they certainly couldn't if we were still paying $2.5M for Brandon Prust.

Again, we're not talking about any NHL veteran. We're talking about a guy who is in the later part of his career, makes $2M a season, costs a $2.5M cap hit, is often injured, starts fights with referees and in no way, shape or form has more value than Paul Byron, a guy Habs fans are down on right now only because Therrien keeps playing him in the top six.

Prust is such garbage Canucks fans big hope is that they can get a fourth round pick for him at the trade deadline so they can claim they won the trade.

Can't say I really like this deal, but Kassian didn't have much trade value. I was really hoping he would get an opportunity to show what he could do before any decision would be made on him.

Guest Stogey24

I was talking about the whole 5th being better than an NHL veteran theory.

People are forgetting that Benning called Bergevin about Prust. He wasn't run out of town for his antics. Bergevin was banking on Kassian being a contributor.

So what's the next dumpster dive? Chris Stewart? Vinny?

Oh absolutely.

I'm so tired of taking on other teams scraps

Guest Stogey24

The same soft perimeter hockey that gave us one of the best starts in Habs history? Absolutely.

If you want the Habs to make a big deal, they certainly couldn't if we were still paying $2.5M for Brandon Prust.

Again, we're not talking about any NHL veteran. We're talking about a guy who is in the later part of his career, makes $2M a season, costs a $2.5M cap hit, is often injured, starts fights with referees and in no way, shape or form has more value than Paul Byron, a guy Habs fans are down on right now only because Therrien keeps playing him in the top six.

Prust is such garbage Canucks fans big hope is that they can get a fourth round pick for him at the trade deadline so they can claim they won the trade.

Bro, are you done trashing the guy or what?

He is important, and I really like his play, I don't see them all of sudden being an offensive juggernaut again when he gets back. But I could be wrong as always.

I think he's a catalyst to how the team plays. They see him working his butt off every shift and attacking the net and it gives the rest of the team the motivation to do the same. Byron and Carr also goto the net (and Carr is rewarded for it) but they don't see either guy as a leader like they do Gally.

The stats all say Montreal is taking shots in pressure areas but every minute I watch, every goalie has a ton of room to move and see the puck.

I'm not a stats guy to be honest. I go with wins and losses, and what I see.

Price masks a lot of issues on the team,

Not to sound like a broken record but this team has been bottom 5 in scoring for years.

Yeah, we'll see. Scrivens might get hot, and at the least he's an upgrade in net for the next three weeks. For those rationalizing their fingers off about Kassian, the guy was just traded for a 2-4 week backup goalie upgrade. Kassian is officially on the NHL d-list with Vinny, Cuba Gooding Junior and Kathy Griffin.

The scoring will come back, always does. Gallagher is a big loss because he's stirred the drink on every struggling line for three years.

There's no doubt even with Price back that The Streak has compromised the fan's view of this team as a contender. If the same is true of the players, they're in big trouble.

Actually, we were 20th overall in goals scored last season, and 15th overall in even-strength scoring last season. The disastrous PP deflated our overall numbers. And we saw earlier in the year that when the PP produces, this team in fact can score with some facility.

Assuming that a PP quarterbacked by Subban and Markov should at least be middle-of-the-pack rather than outright terrible, this team absolutely does NOT have a bottom-5 offense, pace Chris.

But we're not going to have even a mid-range offence, let alone a good one, if Pleks, Patches, and DD all struggle at the same time, if Subban's shot can't hit the broad side of a barn, and of Markov is playing like an old tractor while Beaulieu is still finding his footing. The players we do have have to play up to their ability. This is, of course, true of any team.

As for Galy, his impact is outsized because he is the only reliable net-presence guy we have.

Price's importance is exaggerated by the fact that we have not received consistent NHL-calibre goaltending during this slump. Otherwise put, the idea that Price covers a multitude of sins is not proven by this losing streak, because NO team can win with AHL goaltending. Hopefully, Scrivens helps Condon to be better and can deliver some good, solid performances himself. That's the plan, obviously.

Guest Stogey24

Seems like Bergevin took the Kassian ordeal pretty personal.

I can't believe he didn't atleast get a look with how embarrassing the RW sitch' is on this team.

Seems like Bergevin took the Kassian ordeal pretty personal.

I can't believe he didn't atleast get a look with how embarrassing the RW sitch' is on this team.

No kidding...when your current RW depth chart is Weise, Carr, Andrighetto, and Flynn...you would think he'd get a few games to prove himself at least.

Why should he be entitled to anything? He was on thin ice in Vancouver and Bergevin knew this and was likely spelled out quite clearly what is expected from him.

He is no "impact" player, so no big loss at all and will just be interesting if he can even stick with Oilers?

And is kinda good Carr-Andrighetto-Hudon etc are getting a shot with big club and performing quite well, meanwhile we obviously need the vet leaders to produce.