Tokarski traded for Max Friberg

DON

Guest Stogey24

Your not watching the games then, because the biggest issue this team is having besides goals for, is defensive lapses. Odd man rushes, turnovers in their own end, turn overs on breakout passes... The last couple games have been better, but Condon was hangout many a night.

Your not watching the games then, because the biggest issue this team is having besides goals for, is defensive lapses. Odd man rushes, turnovers in their own end, turn overs on breakout passes... The last couple games have been better, but Condon was hangout many a night.

Yes, we have had defensive lapses. Not denying that.

But overall, this team does not have a bad defensive core. We have one of the best in the east. Now, you can decide whether that's faint praise or not, but you're going to struggle to find a team that has less defensive lapses on average than Montreal in the east, as well as the west. Just watch the games on how many teams we expose with speed for defensive lapses.

Except... the numbers don't show that.

Montreal has allowed 528 shots since Price went down on November 25th. That's the seventh lowest in the league, Our goals against was 9th highest with 54 goals allowed.

So we're allowing the Top 10 least amount of shots but a rookie goaltender, a tossed away back-up and a newly traded for back-up have allowed the Top 10 most goals.

Maybe your standards on what an NHL defence should be doing is higher than it should be? The Rangers and Predators both allowed more goals than us in the same period, with the Predators allowing the same amount of shots (the Rangers allowed nine more shots).

I think the problem has been that we have, like, 2-3 major defensive breakdowns seemingly every period. Otherwise put, it's not SA per se, but rather than we leave the goalie totally out to dry much too often. Now maybe all teams have these spectacular breakdowns, but it doesn't seem like that to me. Is this a result of talent, coaching, or some other variable? You got me.

I wouldn't be inclined to trade Petry, who is quietly quite valuable (like Hamrlik in one of his good years), any more than I'd trade Beaulieu. But then, I put a huge stock in having a strong blueline and think offence is generated as much from the back end as from up front. Emelin, we absolutely should unload if we can, trusting Pateryn to step up as a physical D-man in the same mould, only cheaper. (Of course this then creates an imbalance in terms of L-R - what are ya gonna do?).

There's no easy answer to the question of how to bag a top-6 FW. That said, unless we expect that FW to be elite, it shouldn't be cripplingly impossible to add a serviceable second-line type, especially if we're willing to take a LW. Indeed, there's no reason such a guy couldn't be added at the deadline, without decimating the roster or the prospect pool.

To me the solution is simple:

- Emelin takes up $4M of cap space that can be better used elsewhere

- Lars Eller and David Desharnais, currently costing $7M on 2B line (not third line, they get second line minutes but treated like a third line) cost too much for what we should be spending on 2B/3rd line players. I want both eventually moved so the cap can be better used elsewhere.

That's $11M to fill these spots:

Pacioretty - Plekanec - Gallagher

SPOT - Galchenyuk - Carr

Fleischmann - SPOT - Weise

Byron - Mitchell - Flynn

DSP, Andrighetto

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Gilbert

Tinordi, Pateryn

As you can see, our D barely changes. We now have $11M to solve the top six problem. We have money to sign guys like Weise. We got Andrighetto, Hudon, McCarron, maybe Friberg (on topic!), Lessio and DLR trying for spots next year.

To me it's all about moving that cap space, maybe an Allen/Bourque type switch where we end up with a UFA player. But most importantly, getting that room created.

The number of shots don't tell the full story. We have hung our goalies out to dry far too often.

Except... the numbers don't show that.

Montreal has allowed 528 shots since Price went down on November 25th. That's the seventh lowest in the league, Our goals against was 9th highest with 54 goals allowed.

So we're allowing the Top 10 least amount of shots but a rookie goaltender, a tossed away back-up and a newly traded for back-up have allowed the Top 10 most goals.

Maybe your standards on what an NHL defence should be doing is higher than it should be? The Rangers and Predators both allowed more goals than us in the same period, with the Predators allowing the same amount of shots (the Rangers allowed nine more shots).

- Lars Eller and David Desharnais, currently costing $7M on 2B line (not third line, they get second line minutes but treated like a third line) cost too much for what we should be spending on 2B/3rd line players. I want both eventually moved so the cap can be better used elsewhere.

SPOT - Galchenyuk - Carr

Byron - Mitchell - Flynn

DSP, Andrighetto

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Gilbert

Tinordi, Pateryn

As you can see, our D barely changes. We now have $11M to solve the top six problem. We have money to sign guys like Weise. We got Andrighetto, Hudon, McCarron, maybe Friberg (on topic!), Lessio and DLR trying for spots next year.

To me it's all about moving that cap space, maybe an Allen/Bourque type switch where we end up with a UFA player. But most importantly, getting that room created.

I like how you're thinkin'!

Guest Stogey24

SPOT - Galchenyuk - Carr

Byron - Mitchell - Flynn

DSP, Andrighetto

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Gilbert

Tinordi, Pateryn

Emelin is a boat anchor. It would be huge to have him off the books.

Emelin would likely have to be offered a trade to a good team or maybe NYR or Pitt, to waive his NTC.

Or wait till off-season when his "modified" no trade clause kicks in.

Emelin would likely have to be offered a trade to a good team or maybe NYR or Pitt, to waive his NTC.

Or wait till off-season when his "modified" no trade clause kicks in.

His modified kicked in on January 1st

Emelin is as good as gone. MB has proven himself to be utterly ruthless when it comes to jettisoning overpaid veterans. It's a matter of time.

He really has though I think. Some poop, yet sentimental players (briere ex) are gone like dirt

His modified kicked in on January 1st

Can I ask where that comes from? At the time the deal was signed, it was reported that July 1st was the date it changes; I haven't seen or heard anything to the contrary to that.

SPOT - Galchenyuk - Carr

Byron - Mitchell - Flynn

DSP, Andrighetto

Beaulieu - Subban

Markov - Petry

Barberio - Gilbert

Tinordi, Pateryn

This is the best way to get team balance I think. I wanted a right handed number three defenseman so the team was more balanced. I wanted that for 6 or 7 years. Now that he is on the team I would really hate to trade him. It's not like Montreal has a glut of top 4 defense like Nashville had. That's why that deal happened. Montreal has a glut of second line centres in Plek Chucky DD and and a overpaid 3rd centre in Eller. Two of these guys need to go. I'd hate to trade Plek because it would open up a new hole. Top 10 defensive forward in the league. I say keep that guy. Chucky has not reached his ceiling and I would be afraid of trading him. That leaves DD and Eller.

Emelin will be more difficult. Nobody is going take that Albatros contract without giving an ugly one back.