Shakeup in Canadiens Management : Confirmed

puck7x

Originally posted by huzer

Did anyone else listen to the conference? I noticed that Gainey (although he admitted to only watching the Habs/Lightning game this year) mentioned Komisarek and Ward, in particular, as promising youngsters. Cool.

Yeah, he said 2 players caught his attention .. Ward, and a very big dman, whose name sounds like an European.. what's his name.. humm, komasarik ? yeah, komasarik!

well mr gainey has accepted the GM position from a team he doesn't even know the name of his superstar ??? :wall:

lol

Superstar?... whoa there :)

For now he's just a good kid, let's wait on the superstar status please... hehe

But what does that say about Gainey's confidence: "I don't know who the hell your players are... but who cares, I'm Bob freakin' Gainey!!

Make me an offer and perhaps I'll accept."

I love the guy already :/)

As for CJ... well if AS was willing to step aside to get a more experienced guy in, I guess no one should be surprised if the same happens at coach.

People are saying Robinson.. but he has stepped down twice saying head coach wasn't really his thing... that's not the type of track record I'm looking for to become head coach of the Montreal Canadiens.

Would love him as an assistant though...

As for the head coach, Carbo would be my guy. Apparently he said today that if Gainey were to call he'd strongly consider it. He's the kind of coach the players will respect. Then keep CJ as assistant because he really does know his stuff, which Carbo would need... then Melanson as goalie coach, and another of Carbo's liking as defense coach (insert Robinson here instead of Green).

And there you go... we'll see :) :hlogo:

Man, he doesn't look too healthy in that photo. Boivin's looking like his old self ( :wall: ) and Savard is probably too drunk to realise what's going on.

How would you feel if you were demoted from the leading position of the most historical team in sports?

Oh well, this just means that Gainey will be able to work out our defense once and for all. Markov and Komisarek are the only definites left. I hope he can work some magic like with Zubov and Sydor, the mainstays in Dallas.

I saw on another board that he might be interested in getting Hatcher. Also something about getting Carbo as assitant coach, ready to step in if and when Julien screws up.

I don't want Hatcher, but Carbo back would be a godsend.

:hlogo:

[Edited on 2003/6/3 by TheAussiePosse]

This is definitely a step in the right direction for the Habs organization. Ken Dryden once said that the thing that differentiated the Habs from all other organizations was their commitment to excellence both on and off the ice. Dryden said that the Habs were great because they went out and got the best management and coaching staff possible - always.

Getting AS and Madden was a start. Now, with Gainey they have a cerebral hockey mind with a proven track record of winning.

I don't think the Habs will win the Cup next year, but with both Savard and Gainey working in tandem, the Habs will soon be competing in the post season.

In the eyes of Soviet national coach Victor Tikhonov in 1979, Gainey was "technically the best hockey player in the world today."

I think for the time being Julien is the right coach for this team. He's a teacher first and he's proven to be successful at developing talent. All the young guys love him and as they graduate to the big club from Hamilton, their transition will be eased by having a familiar coach/system in place. In a few years, when we're redy to contend, if CJ hasn't shown the ability to take the team to the next level then it might be time for a change.

• 11 years later...

Ha ha, that was a fun trip back in time. "Komisarek the superstar..." :D Nice to see that some things never change, the unproven kid is ALWAYS a sure bet to dominate the entire league.

Say what you want about Gainey, he really consolidated what Savard had begun, i.e., the restoration of the Montreal Canadiens as an impact NHL team.

As for the issue at hand: I'm surprised we've heard zilch about Gallant's replacement in particular. No interviews? No rumours of interviews? What gives? Wouldn't it make sense to lock up your man sooner rather than later, if only to give him adequate time to master all his files?

Ha ha, that was a fun trip back in time. "Komisarek the superstar..." :D Nice to see that some things never change, the unproven kid is ALWAYS a sure bet to dominate the entire league.

Say what you want about Gainey, he really consolidated what Savard had begun, i.e., the restoration of the Montreal Canadiens as an impact NHL team.

As for the issue at hand: I'm surprised we've heard zilch about Gallant's replacement in particular. No interviews? No rumours of interviews? What gives? Wouldn't it make sense to lock up your man sooner rather than later, if only to give him adequate time to master all his files?

I just flipped to last (first topic) and saw all the 'ancient'/nostagalic(sp?) commments and thought was interesting and am thinking coach/prospect tutor replacements should be being announced sometime soon?

Sure agree about Gainey, a terrific man's man. He made us respectable again. Wonderful man.

He wasn't interested in being a head coach. The year they hired MT, he said he was interested in coming back to Montreal. MB called him for an interview, but Robinson said he couldn't come at that time, since he was dealing with reoIrs to his home following a hurricane. Instead of waiting for one of the greatest Dmen in history - early in the FRIGGIN SUMMER, MT hired JJ friggin daignealt instead.

Didn't he hint he didn't want the stress of Montreal several years ago (and has/had some health issues also?)?

Say what you want about Gainey, he really consolidated what Savard had begun,

He traded away a player who would have made us a juggernaut. That's all she wrote as far as I'm concerned. At least he didn't trade two of them.

He wasn't interested in being a head coach. The year they hired MT, he said he was interested in coming back to Montreal. MB called him for an interview, but Robinson said he couldn't come at that time, since he was dealing with reoIrs to his home following a hurricane. Instead of waiting for one of the greatest Dmen in history - early in the FRIGGIN SUMMER, MT hired JJ friggin daignealt instead.

That's just another case of Bergevin negotiating against himself. I'm sure JJ would have been available in 72 hours.

The only other possibility I could think of was an MT veto. I think it's entirely possible that a coach trying to get back on track wouldn't care to rebuild his career with a Cup winning coach and legend behind him.

Habs hire Rob Ramage to replace Patrice Brisebois and Dan Lacroix to replace Gerard Gallant. Habs also move Rick Dudley to Senior VP of Hockey Operations, Scott Mellanby to Assistant GM and Trevor Timmins to VP of Player Personnel along with his duties as director of amateur scouting.

• Upvote 1

It's interesting that Timmins goes back into player personnel. I got the sense his first stint there didn't go well as one of Bergevin's first moves when he took over was to get him out of that role and back solely into scouting.

Ramage was a gritty type d-man if I remember correctly, but time will tell if he will be a good instructor to the d-prospects?

Breezer I think was OK mentor for the kids?

Just don't let Ramage drive any of our prospects anywhere, ever.

Seriously, we're hiring convicted felons as coaches now? His four year sentence expired THIS MONTH.

LOLOLOLOL

If a team is going to employ a felon, 4th line winger, please. I bet Colton Orr and Chris Simon would be jailbirds if they didn't make it.

Ramage made a mistake, I'm sure there's the odd guy from back in those days(90%) that drank and drove, me included.

I see a lot of people on discussion forums, Facebook, etc. and now here, bashing the guy from their pedestal of Sainthood, and that's almost as sad as the incident they speak of.

Silly monkeys withouth sin casting stones.... are still monkeys.

Ramage was a great defenseman, and one big, ripped up, tough hombre, and I'm sure has done some good in his life too, so I can forgive him, just because everyone makes mistakes.....