Link: Francis Bouillon Signed to One Year Extension

I've been expecting this. I know some will disagree but to me it's better to have a young defenceman playing in the minors than sitting in the press box in the NHL. Bouillon would know his role would be the #7 and when you're dealing with someone who isn't going to play much, it's probably better to deal with someone you're familiar with already than bring someone new in and risk them not accepting that role.

Ha haaaaa! Look, I think Honey Boo Boo remains serviceable as a depth defenceman and never vilified him as much as some. While many fans on this site will be enraged that we're not simply handing the keys to rookies, most organizations would in fact go out and secure some useful depth on the blueline rather than bet the rent entirely on rookies. The real issue, it seems to me, is not signing Bouillon; it's the fear that The Genius will over-use Bouillon at the expense of Tinordi/Beaulieu. We'll just have to trust that Genius knows what he is doing and is not an active impediment to player development.

Ha haaaaa! Look, I think Honey Boo Boo remains serviceable as a depth defenceman and never vilified him as much as some. While many fans on this site will be enraged that we're not simply handing the keys to rookies, most organizations would in fact go out and secure some useful depth on the blueline rather than bet the rent entirely on rookies. The real issue, it seems to me, is not signing Bouillon; it's the fear that The Genius will over-use Bouillon at the expense of Tinordi/Beaulieu. We'll just have to trust that Genius knows what he is doing and is not an active impediment to player development.

With Weaver and Bouillon there's no chance Tinordi makes the team.

Unless he turns into Vladimir Malakhov overnight.

Why? Why? Why? Why sign a stiff that we know MT WILL overuse???????

After the good news if Subban? MT had to throw as a curveball!!

How many #6 and #7 Dmen do we need??????

What about Drewiske? How many depth players does MB need?!

I imagine his garage is full of duplicates of every appliance he owns, from the washer dryer, all the way down to an immersion blender and mandolin slicer.

Drewiske didn't do a whole lot with Hamilton last year when he came back from injury. Realistically, he's probably pencilled in on the 2nd pairing down there to start next season.

I actually don't mind this, if he isn't "over-used" as you guys say. We have to accept the fact that management isn't comfortable going into this season with Tinordi and Beaulieu, and no solid back up plan, outside of another rookie in Pateryn.... this makes sense to this particular team, a one year deal.... and if the rookies by chance do blow everyone away in training camp, then Boo can just be some veteran insurance if they falter. The games he played in last year's playoffs were A-ok, even a couple goals, one a huge goal!

Why? Why? Why? Why sign a stiff that we know MT WILL overuse???????

After the good news if Subban? MT had to throw as a curveball!!

How many #6 and #7 Dmen do we need??????

There is one really good thing about this. If you want to send him down, you can put him on waivers and relax, ain't nobody claiming him.

From what I understand, since he is over 35 we are stuck with. I can't see any scenario where MT swnds his former captain down to Hamilton.

There is one really good thing about this. If you want to send him down, you can put him on waivers and relax, ain't nobody claiming him.

From what I understand, since he is over 35 we are stuck with him. I can't see any scenario where MT swnds his former captain down to Hamilton.

You can send a 35 year old down on waivers. You just can't buy them out.

from what i understand, you are still stuck with their entire cap hit.

Which is what? Really not much of a cap hit....

Bouillion knows the team, the systems, and isn't that bad of a defenseman guys, c'mon. Who else we going to get, that cheap, that familiar, on a one year cheap deal, that fits any better. It's not like we will be ddepending on him to be on the top pair. A depth move, and it's better than last year's depth move of signing Murray....

Players only get dinged with the 35+ restrictions on multi-year deals (like Markov). Presuming Bouillon were to sign for one year (a safe bet), he's not subject to the 35+ designation and thus could be sent down. However, should he receive more than $925,000 in salary, the remainder would stay on the cap even if he were to be in the minors.

Players only get dinged with the 35+ restrictions on multi-year deals (like Markov). Presuming Bouillon were to sign for one year (a safe bet), he's not subject to the 35+ designation and thus could be sent down. However, should he receive more than $925,000 in salary, the remainder would stay on the cap even if he were to be in the minors.

And like I said ain't nobody gonna claim. But is he even signed yet, everything I have read says they are negotiating. Maybe we have jumped the gun?

And like I said ain't nobody gonna claim. But is he even signed yet, everything I have read says they are negotiating. Maybe we have jumped the gun?

No, he hasn't signed. We're all responding to the RDS report in the first post on this page that they are in 'intense negotiations' with him.

I assumed was a done deal? and adding a depth vet d-man may not be a bad move.

Nothing's done yet. If it happens, there will be something on the site about it (and I suspect some more venting in this (or a new) thread).

Wouldn't it be easier to wait till an injury on defense before adding another #7/8 d-man? And this would surely mean Nygren wouldn't have a hope in hell of cracking roster eh, which likely isn't a big surprise anyways, but still.

Wouldn't it be easier to wait till an injury on defense before adding another #7/8 d-man? And this would surely mean Nygren wouldn't have a hope in hell of cracking roster eh, which likely isn't a big surprise anyways, but still.

This is the Habs...it won't be long before someone gets hurt. :) It's better to have the depth on-hand before rather than be forced into paying more for one later.

It also wouldn't mean Nygren or another youngster couldn't make the roster. If Bouillon (or another veteran) is outplayed by a rookie and they want to keep the youngster, they'd waive Bouillon/other veteran.