Habs sign Jiri Sekac

dlbalr

I checked out his stats...nothing very impressive. Is he supposed to be really talented?

http://www.lighthousehockey.com/2014/6/9/5794156/who-is-jiri-sekac

Seems positive, but I've seen this movie before - teams pursuing some hot tamale Euro - and it often fails to pan out. I'll reserve judgement.

It's an entry-level contract. He's going to make under a million...which means that if he's great, this was a steal. If he stinks it up, we can avoid caring too much. It's a no-lose proposition.

it will be over $1m with bonus/incentives that you can give in ELC.

it will be over $1m with bonus/incentives that you can give in ELC.

With as many teams pursuing him as there were, I have a hunch the potential bonuses will be in the millions per year as well.

With as many teams pursuing him as there were, I have a hunch the potential bonuses will be in the millions per year as well.

Entry level contract bonuses are also capped fairly low, to avoid that type of thing.

A max ELC with max bonuses can still yield a potential cap hit north of $3.5 million.

While possible, that would pretty much require him to be competing for every award category he's eligible for at the end of the year.

Put another way, if Jiri Sekac ends up having a cap hit of anywhere over $1.8 million, he was probably worth $6 million that year.

While possible, that would pretty much require him to be competing for every award category he's eligible for at the end of the year.

Put another way, if Jiri Sekac ends up having a cap hit of anywhere over $1.8 million, he was probably worth $6 million that year.

You're absolutely right. If that were to happen, we'd probably be happy.

I have to say I was a little worried at first. I checked out his stats and saw that even though he's not small (6'0") he only weighs 174 pds. I then found out that he put on some weight over the last couple of years and he's now playing at 190pds, which is much better,

I have to say I was a little worried at first. I checked out his stats and saw that even though he's not small (6'0") he only weighs 174 pds. I then found out that he put on some weight over the last couple of years and he's now playing at 190pds, which is much better,

My 174 lb number comes from his KHL profile. I've heard him closer to 190 as well but nothing concrete so I used the 174.

That second highlight video reminded me of a couple of goals I almost scored!

Good that he's concrete free. I've switched to a concrete free diet myself. :nuts:

Is the story of him being guaranteed NHL playing time if he signs with the Habs true?

No, just speculation on my part. With so many teams going after him, Sekac probably was smart enough to pick a team where he can play right away. Whether that was promised or not, no one knows for sure.

What I like about this signing (lacking any real knowledge of the player): A dozen teams reportedly just offered this guy the same thing (maximum possible entry-level contract and incentives.)

That means he picked Montreal because he liked the idea of playing here more than he liked the idea of playing anywhere else.

Seriously, I put a premium value on a player who wants to be here, instead of being a mercenary who is just collecting a paycheck.