Proposed 2014-2015 Lineup

JGC21

Great point, what do you think it would take to get Artyukhin?

I don't think he has any intention of leaving Russia for another 4th line/fringe guy job in the NHL (and that's all he is, a low talent player even in the KHL). He's worth the league minimum in the NHL and I'm sure he's getting more than that at home.

Aberrant to some..the way of the future NHL as I see it and I got no issue with it or just the opposite I suppose..

Wont happen overnight but teams like LA and Hawks do just fine with no untalented-thug ever dressed.

Those who really enjoy bloodsports can always get their thrills watching UFC or dog fighting or Darwin award winners on You Tube.

Hahahahaha! Well said Don. Some of the lowlifes who have graced hockey lineups devalue the team and the wonderful sport. No human organizations other than organized crime... which is an anti-institution and anti life... requires thugs.

• 2 weeks later...

Call me crazy.

I think the RW depth is not enough this year. I'd be glad to be proven wrong - but I don't think so. If it becomes obvious at mid-season and we still have a good chance of making the show, I say we go after Alfredsson. Plays the position, lots of experience, professionalism, leadership etc. Still has the ability and probably wants a Cup. May not have a contract at that point (and would be well rested) or Detroit is a marginal playoff team (what we all expect).

Call me crazy.

I think the RW depth is not enough this year. I'd be glad to be proven wrong - but I don't think so. If it becomes obvious at mid-season and we still have a good chance of making the show, I say we go after Alfredsson. Plays the position, lots of experience, professionalism, leadership etc. Still has the ability and probably wants a Cup. May not have a contract at that point (and would be well rested) or Detroit is a marginal playoff team (what we all expect).

I don't think it's crazy to suggest the RW depth isn't strong. It has been a weakness for a while now and really the only change of note is going from Gionta to Parenteau which has its strengths and benefits. (Vanek wasn't there most of the year so I don't count him in this.)

I highly doubt Alfredsson would sign mid-season. By all accounts, it's Detroit or retirement and he recently reportedly had a setback in his workouts. By the time mid-season rolls around, he'll be with the Wings or he'll have hung his skates up.

Guest Stogey24

Call me crazy.

Alfredson can't even skate right now because his back is bothering him.

zumpano makes a good point, though. Gallagher, Parenteau, Prust,, and Weise, that's not exactly colossal depth. Now that he mentions it, I am a bit surprised they haven't gone out and added some sort of insurance there. Whether Alfie is the answer is another question, but something along those lines wouldn't be a bad idea.

Andrighetto, Holland, Thomas, Dumont I guess are minor-league depth they have at RW, till Scherbak, Lehkonen (McCarron), maybe Gregoire come on line in couple years.

I guess between that and the four NHLers they've got, we can probably ride out much of the season, adding another guy at deadline time if it seems to be required...

So with Galchenyuk getting the start at centre in training camp, I predict we'll see lines like this to start the season, IF he can handle the defensive responsibilities :/

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Sekac - Plekanec - Parenteau

Bourque - Galchenyuk - Eller

Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Bournival

So with Galchenyuk getting the start at centre in training camp, I predict we'll see lines like this to start the season, IF he can handle the defensive responsibilities :/

Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gallagher

Sekac - Plekanec - Parenteau

Bourque - Galchenyuk - Eller

Prust - Malhotra - Weise

Bournival

I can see the excuse-making for Larry already :rolleyes: 'Poor widdle baby, not at his natuwal position...'

If things go 100% great, meaning Galchenyuk plays center like a natural, wins half of his faceoffs and plays decent defensively, then I think the team makes a trade. Whichever center can get them the best deal out of Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller.

If one of those three could play RW, it'd really shore us up at that position. Just a thought (though I believe they all shoot L - ?)

If things go 100% great, meaning Galchenyuk plays center like a natural, wins half of his faceoffs and plays decent defensively, then I think the team makes a trade. Whichever center can get them the best deal out of Plekanec, Desharnais and Eller.

What do you think the return would be for those guys?

What do you think the return would be for those guys?

Plekanec would get an excellent return from a team needing a second line defensive center. Look at what the Canucks got for Ryan Kesler and go a little less since Kesler is overrated.

Eller would get a good return from a team that believes in him and likes his price. After Ottawa lucked out on Kyle Turris there's probably a team out there hoping Eller would do the same for them. I think he'd be a one for one type deal. Like Eller for Jacob Silfverberg or Eller for Matt Read.

Desharnais, some people believe he has zero value. I'd say a team like Nashville would give up something good for them. They are currently banking on Ribeiro, Jokinen and Roy all on one year deals. They would be more likely to trade for him in the summer. But if we offered him now? Maybe one of those three (preferably Jokinen) plus a second round pick.

I think Eller will carve out his role this year, new deal, less pressure to get a role, or a new contract, and he has shown glimpses of potential that won't limit him to a fourth line role. I'm betting Plek or DD gets traded before Eller, and probably Plek because of the value he would bring, and the expense to sign him at his age and potential after the next two years.

Seeing as Eller played 6th most of Hab forwards while scoring nothing, doubt he has been or will ever be a 4th liner for foreseeable future.

But agree that he should have a better year.

Guest Stogey24

Little off topic and I know most are against bringing in a heavy weight, but what happens when Colton Orr starts taking runs again when were up 5-0 in a game? I'm pretty surprised that void hasn't been filled in our line up.

If ignore him even brainless Bourque wouldn't get smacked upside the head, argument for a goon is weak and hope not having one yet is a sign they wont waste icetime on a Parros/Larocque or other useless "hockey" player and play a Bournival or de la Rose instead.

Little off topic and I know most are against bringing in a heavy weight, but what happens when Colton Orr starts taking runs again when were up 5-0 in a game? I'm pretty surprised that void hasn't been filled in our line up.

I think they're banking on one of Crisp/Nevins to be passable as a fourth liner in the event one is needed for a certain game. It doesn't seem likely that they'll carry a full-time goon this year. (For that matter, I don't think the Leafs will either; I think both McLaren and Orr are on the outside looking in when it comes to the season-opening roster.)

Guest Stogey24

If ignore him even brainless Bourque wouldn't get smacked upside the head, argument for a goon is weak and hope not having one yet is a sign they wont waste icetime on a Parros/Larocque or other useless "hockey" player and play a. Bournival or de la Rose instead.

Pretty tough to ignore a guy who takes a run at Plek's knee and then tries to fight your captain . At some point in time push is going to come shove.

I am sure Orr would drop em with Gonta, give me a break and was taking a penalty with hut on Plekanec, even DD could take out a player with hit to knee, don't need a useless 3 shift goon.