How likely is it that Jiri Sekac will start in the lineup?

Neech

Keep in mind the kid is a month younger than Brendan Gallagher. "Late bloomer" is relative. Parenteau was a "late bloomer," making the NHL after 8 years in the AHL at the age of 26.

And vast majority of NHLers are members/affiliated of NHL system when they are 17-18. So 22 is 'late' and low probability to make a good NHL career.

You can find exceptions fro sure, but still long shot.

We will see him in Montreal and I believe it will be right out of training camp.

I bet not.

Maybe by Nov 1st, when Bourque gets sent to pressbox.

The great one knows that I want de la Rose and Sekac to shine in pre-season and force mgmt. to have em in vs Leafs on opening day.

But am more like CC and seems expectations of young prospects always tends to fall on the 'Way to High" side of things.

I can list a long one, with Chipchura, Leblanc, Belle, Valentenko, Avtsin, Hossa (for 5 or 7 games anyways), Weber, Engqvist, Nattinen, Fischer, White, D'Agostini etc etc that I was big on, but fizzled.

But Don, none of those guys were really any good.... certainly not great prospects. Sekac and DLR are both skilled players, Sekac perhaps already more offensively talented than any on your list there and DLR is nearly a sure bet to be a really good 2 way player. I'll keep my hopes high on these two, until I see otherwise.

I remember all the talk that Gally wasn't ready, and how he won't be an NHL player anytime soon..... :rastapop:

For all of my skepticism about rookies, there's no denying that the Habs have had three rookies step right in and make a huge impact in recent years: Subban, Gallagher, and (to a lesser degree) Galchenyuk.

This says a lot about what terrific players those three are, particularly Subban, who basically became our #1-2 defenceman from the moment he showed up, despite playing at a position that is notoriously hard to master. But it is fairly aberrant.

The norm is that even excellent young players hit bumps along the way. Blue-chipper Carey Price nearly played his way off the team, if you'll recall, despite starting strong. MaxPac had ups and downs before finally hitting his stride. Going back further, even the mighty Andrei Markov had a very erratic early going as he tried to figure out North America and NHL expectations.

That's why I never, ever just pencil in raw rookies for huge roles on a team projected over 82 games. Even a 'ready' young player can go through these huge dips in confidence and performance. It is quite normal for them to get benched or to see time in the press-box. The Gallagher/Subban scenario is closer to being the exception than the rule.

Subban had awesome year in Hamilton prior to called up and Gallagher had 1/2 season in Hamilton before starting NHL.

And Galchenyuk was a #3 pick, who often don't see AHL time.

Sekac isn't a top 5 pick, but has played KHL and is slick and works hard in practice, so can easily see why many think he should have a spot guaranteed.

But Don, none of those guys were really any good.... certainly not great prospects. Sekac and DLR are both skilled players, Sekac perhaps already more offensively talented than any on your list there and DLR is nearly a sure bet to be a really good 2 way player. I'll keep my hopes high on these two, until I see otherwise.

I remember all the talk that Gally wasn't ready, and how he won't be an NHL player anytime soon..... :rastapop:

im starting to wonder if don is really Jacques martin. seems like no rookie or young guy deserves a chance with him

Exactly.. an if ppl need vid proof.. Youtube Sekac dev camp highlights. He makes the rest of the Habs prospects look like.. Junior players, coincidentally.

To guote Mr.Eastwood "Deserve got nothing to do with it".

JM wasn't bad with young players either. He built the Ottawa team that became a regular season powerhouse with young talent, and a couple of high-profile young players had the peak years of their careers under him. That JM was anti-youth is another myth, fuelled by the delusion that any rookie is automatically, a priori "ready" to take a regular shift in the NHL and therefore that the ONLY reason for this not happening is an irrational coach who hates young players. Since this premise is factually wrong, the inferences are equally faulty.

I think Sekac has a legit chance because of his promising profile and the team's relative weakness at W.

Exactly.. an if ppl need vid proof.. Youtube Sekac dev camp highlights. He makes the rest of the Habs prospects look like.. Junior players, coincidentally.

He has one highlight clip three minutes long, and the first goal he whiffs on the shot! I hope he schools the development camp, even I think he's capable of that!

"Sekac takes on the drills with determination, aiming to perfect them. It's play, but for Sekac, it definitely looks like work. The others--prolific NHLers like Milan Michalek and Martin Havlat, Michael Frolik and P.A. Parenteau take the opportunity to catch their breath in between the high intensity drill circuits while Sekac hunches over his stick for a second before grabbing six or seven more pucks to shoot. There's a hunger there, and it speaks even louder than the impressive skillset he displays."

If thats true, thats why he's going to make an impact.

Regardless of Sekac's impact immediately or later I am happy about two things:

1. He chose Montreal. I am sick of these FA players choosing other teams rather than the Habs

2. Remember people: A free prospect is a good prospect--until proven otherwise

I also hope that the reports of his hunger to succeed are true

"Sekac takes on the drills with determination, aiming to perfect them. It's play, but for Sekac, it definitely looks like work. The others--prolific NHLers like Milan Michalek and Martin Havlat, Michael Frolik and P.A. Parenteau take the opportunity to catch their breath in between the high intensity drill circuits while Sekac hunches over his stick for a second before grabbing six or seven more pucks to shoot. There's a hunger there, and it speaks even louder than the impressive skillset he displays."

If thats true, thats why he's going to make an impact.

That's all well and good, but Engels isn't a scout. I've been reading him for years, and this is the first time I can remember him talking about a prospect.

Guest Stogey24

That's all well and good, but Engels isn't a scout. I've been reading him for years, and this is the first time I can remember him talking about a prospect.

Engels was there watching him; how is that not creditable information? The work ethic is there for Sekac and so is the skill set, what more can you want from guy who is on ELC?

Engels was there watching him; how is that not creditable information? The work ethic is there for Sekac and so is the skill set, what more can you want from guy who is on ELC?

I don't see the point. He was signed to a ELC but he was pursued by 12 teams. They signed him to be in the lineup, and right now, we have Bournival, Moen, Weise, Prust and Sekac fighting for three roster spots. That puts two of four perfectly capable bottom six wingers in the press box in favor of a guy who scored 18 goals in four professional seasons. Or Sekac goes to the minors and makes 70k, in which case he'll be back to Lev Praha faster than you can say "Magnus Nygren." Signing Sekac also guarantees that MB won't be picking up any muscle. Most likely Moen or Weise will be sitting in favor of "Cakes," so we just got even more soft after just losing Murray and Parros.

Would you rather have:

A) Weise or Moen

Or

B) A soft Euro like Michael Raffl on the bottom six?

These undrafted Euro signings like Raphael Diaz end up being third pairing/bottom six guys that are easily replaceable at any point.

Guest Stogey24

I don't see the point. He was signed to a ELC but he was pursued by 12 teams. They signed him to be in the lineup, and right now, we have Bournival, Moen, Weise, Prust and Sekac fighting for three roster spots. That puts two of four perfectly capable bottom six wingers in the press box in favor of a guy who scored 18 goals in four professional seasons. Or Sekac goes to the minors and makes 70k, in which case he'll be back to Lev Praha faster than you can say "Magnus Nygren." Signing Sekac also guarantees that MB won't be picking up any muscle. Most likely Moen or Weise will be sitting in favor of "Cakes," so we just got even more soft after just losing Murray and Parros.

Would you rather have:

A) Weise or Moen

Or

These undrafted Euro signings like Raphael Diaz end up being third pairing/bottom six guys that are easily replaceable at any point.

Moen's enforcing career is finished. If Sekac has a solid camp and starts putting up decent numbers, things could change a lot for the Habs roster. I would bet Bourque gets moved for a pick and his roster spot is potentially filled by Weise or Sekac. As for Bournival I REALLY like him for his speed, but his shot is minor league and he's a non-threat in the scoring department nor the grinding department.... so I don't see where he fits in moving forward.

Basically if Secak can do what we all hope, he's going to clear some cap for the Habs, among adding a viable scoring touch.

Sekac picking Habs was a super sign and winning/playoff success must be a factor for sure.

Sekac and de la Rose both spoke the same with regards to possibly starting season in Hamilton, 'right-now' dosent mean opening night vs Leafs, I see a Nov launch as more likely, which is still very quick adjustment to smaller rinks, more physical play and a month/two in AHL is very insignificant and not a bad thing for any young player coming from another inferior league.

Not sure why he 'has' to be in opening roster playing a limited role, when he would play top line in AHL and on 1st PP unit with likes of Hudon, Bozon, de la Rose, Carr, Pateryn & Beaulieu and also show that he isn't timid or shy of physical play.

11goals in a soft slow defensive KHL isn't screaming guaranteed roster spot on a top NHL team.

But we all love to put cart before horse with many 'blue-chip' prospects.

Or Sekac goes to the minors and makes 70k, in which case he'll be back to Lev Praha faster than you can say "Magnus Nygren." Signing Sekac also guarantees that MB won't be picking up any muscle. Most likely Moen or Weise will be sitting in favor of "Cakes," so we just got even more soft after just losing Murray and Parros.

Would you rather have:

A) Weise or Moen

Or

I can say with 100% certainty that he won't be back with Lev Praha at any point this year. Why is that? That team folded this summer. :) He doesn't have a valid KHL contract which means he's ineligible to sign a deal in the KHL without the Habs first releasing him or granting him special permission due to the NHL/KHL agreement to honour existing contracts. Similarly, he can't go to another league as that would be in violation of the IIHF transfer agreement. Nygren had a valid contract in Sweden originally for last year, that's why he could go back. He can't pull that card this year either (unless he outright refuses to report and forces his release of which the Habs don't have to grant).

As for Raffl, who is far from a soft Euro? (His hit total would have placed him 5th on the Habs last year, ahead of Moen, Prust, Weise, etc.) I'd take him over Moen for sure and I'd put him and Weise in a similar category. Raffl doesn't try to fight like Weise does but at the same time, Raffl's the more talented player. Given the Habs' lack of fighting depth, I guess I'd give the nod to Weise but it's closer than you think.