Briere to Habs - 2 years, $4M/year

HabsTrick450

I, like most people here, don't have a clue where Briere is supposed to fit into our forward lines. And he certainly isn't the type of player that we move Plekanec for.

Gally - Eller - Gallagher

Patch - DD - Brière

Gionta - Plex - Bourque

????? I'm puzzled as well...

Guest Stogey24

Fack sakes boy. Not happy about this signing. There is a big trade coming now. There is no way Montreal starts the season with this roster.

Fack sakes boy. Not happy about this signing. There is a big trade coming now. There is no way Montreal starts the season with this roster.

I certainly hope so...

We miss out on a big old declining French centre and get the small old declining French centre.

When you compare the cap hit, it looks really bad. But at least it's only two years... still expect to see a lot of Briere jerseys by the time October rolls around.

I think the Habs should have got him cheaper. Maybe the market set the price but at that price Habs shouldn't have been in the market. There has to be a trade coming. Dont see where Desharnais fits on this team anymore.

Not a huge fan of this move individually but have to see the whole picture first before fully judging it. Honestly was hoping for some 3rd/4th liners possibly a defensemen and putting faith in Eller, Gallagher, and Galchenyuk to make up for the lost offense of Ryder.

Bergevin, Dudley, Carriere, Mellanby, Lapointe. All in the office, and this is what they come up with? We're easier to play than last season. And nobody wants Desharnais, so get used to the idea, he's here to stay.

Well I cheered myself up by looking at his playoff numbers...

But jeesh... it looks like his best days are well behind him. Over/under 45 points and 67 games played.

Under on both.

Sheesh. Count me with those who think this stinks. (I don't accept the comparisons with the Vinny deal, however. Big difference between 2 years of mediocrity and 5).

And if Pleks is moved as some sort of consequence of this deal, then it becomes absolutely horrendous - unless Pleks brings back massive, franchise-transforming value.

Now, should DD somehow be dealt, I could happily accept Briere as a 2-year option allowing Galy to remain at wing for as long as needed. Indeed, that scenario makes quite a bit of sense. It'd resolve our long-term glut at C while tiding us over for two seasons. I know people think Desharnais is untradeable, but this is the only follow-up move that turns this into a perfectly sensible acquisition.

Have we got any cap space left to add talent that will actually help this team without the sort of tortured scenario-spinning I weave above? If not, then oy vey.

Bergevin better have more moves to makes, because this team won't win many games like this.

I think Briere could be a decent asset if surrounded by the proper players.

Have we got any cap space left to add talent that will actually help this team without the sort of tortured scenario-spinning I weave above? If not, then oy vey.

Very limited cap space now; if you add in potential bonuses, the Habs are about $3 M under the cap (with 20 signed). If you consider that Galchenyuk probably isn't going to hit every single bonus, that opens up a bit more wiggle room but not much.

Also, Briere gets a no-trade clause.

OK, just saw Brian's piece. This eats up our cap space. Swell.

On the other hand, Bergevin is now in a position where he MUST swing at least one trade. Otherwise he heads into next season with a D-corps that is, in paper, totally inadequate, and a forward cast significantly smaller (and even older!) than last season's.

Here's another thought. We dumped Cole to avoid being on the hook for $4.5 mil for the next two years. Now we're on the hook for $4 mil for the next two years. So much for the brilliant cap move of dumping Cole. Indeed, unless Briere significantly outperforms Cole over that span, we got smaller for no reason.

EDIT: a NTC!!!!! D'OH!!!! :bonk: