Briere to Habs - 2 years, $4M/year

HabsTrick450

Well, it's not your fault! I'll kiss the messenger and shoot the fool (Bergevin).

If you're not hating me now, maybe this will send you over the edge. Apparently it's an NMC, not just an NTC.

Sheesh. Count me with those who think this stinks. (I don't accept the comparisons with the Vinny deal, however. Big difference between 2 years of mediocrity and 5).

The Vinny deal would at least make our team BETTER in everyone's eyes right away. Vinny's also two years younger, so his deal expires when he's only one year older than Briere's will, and we could reasonably expect 2-3 decent seasons out of him. With Briere, we're only getting the decline, and he may very well already be washed up.

Anyways, even in your scenario of moving DD, which I agree would be optimal, I'd still rather go into next year with DD over Briere if it was an either/or choice. I expect he could rebound and develop some market value. I'd even take Grabovski over Briere if we're talking about assets we don't need.

Really, does Briere get the time of day with us if he isn't un bon p'tit gars de souche?

I'm fearing the worst: we're moving Plekanec for a player that doesn't make up for the gaping hole he would leave.

I hope this means DD or Gionta gets shipped out. Heck, I hope this means they are BOTH being shown the door, and there's another move in play as well.

:lol:

Whatever...

All I can say is, there had better be further moves ahead (presumably involving DD or Gionta). Otherwise MB just turned into a pumpkin.

I think there will be one trade made to free up a bit of space but with a lot of teams looking to dump salary right now, it may not be for a while and it may not save much - deals like that probably won't come about for a bit until the UFA hubbub dies down. In the meantime... 43.gif

Really, does Briere get the time of day with us if he isn't un bon p'tit gars de souche?

This is the really pathetic thing in all this. The only two names we've heard about the Habs seriously pursuing both had this profile. You have to wonder...and it shakes your faith in the new management, frankly. Fortunately, it will do us little long-term damage. You're right that Vinny would probably have helped us more over the next two seasons, but we take what consolation we can get.

Guest Stogey24

This is the really pathetic thing in all this. The only two names we've heard about the Habs seriously pursuing both had this profile. You have to wonder...and it shakes your faith in the new management, frankly. Fortunately, it will do us little long-term damage. You're right that Vinny would probably have helped us more over the next two seasons, but we take what consolation we can get.

Completely agree. Nuff' said

Free Asset, didn’t give up anything. Short term deal.

He’s not the best fit, I admit that. But, we had 9 million in cap space and a crappy UFA class….. might as well use some of it on stop gaps, instead of long term deals. Essentially he’s Michael Ryder’s replacement on the PP.

Unused cap space never won a game in the NHL.

Man I hope there is a trade in the works. If (as someone mentioned) there is a no trade clause, that would be awful, if the habs tank they can trade him for an asset.

I just don't see how they will compete with the top 3 RW's under 5;"11.

Please MB, have a trade in place for tomorrow.

I hope this means DD or Gionta gets shipped out. Heck, I hope this means they are BOTH being shown the door, and there's another move in play as well.

It could be Gally :ph34r:

Man I hope there is a trade in the works. If (as someone mentioned) there is a no trade clause, that would be awful, if the habs tank they can trade him for an asset.

I just don't see how they will compete with the top 3 RW's under 5;"11.

Please MB, have a trade in place for tomorrow.

TVA is reporting the NMC, Louis Jean is credible so I trust it's true.

As for a trade, why does it have to be for tomorrow? This signing takes them out of the running for any notable free agent, they'll be focused on bottom six forwards primarily. They still have the room to get a deal or two like that done without having to do a trade first. As I said earlier, it's not often trades happen on July 1 as teams are focused on signings - it's only after the big guns go that teams go to their plans B, C, etc (the trade route).

Not a fan.

That said he isn't a bad player. There isn't a better playoff performer on the market. I don't know how Gionta is health wise and if he'll start the season with us. I would have preferred to stay put. I don't see this as Bergevins final move of the summer so I'm waiting to see what happens next.

Well that's that. That is our free agent acquisition. I think Bergevin panicked, knew he had a hole, and didn't feel comfortable with the UFA class. At least it's a two year deal. If we trade Plekanec I'll be furious. To get rid of Desharnais, we'll either need to take some salary back, or trade a high pick or prospect. I don't like this move at all.

Well. Ill judge this move at the beginning of the season. This signing smells like a per-curser to a trade to me. I hope so, at least, cause, ugh..

Gio DD Gallagher & Briere in the top 6 is suicidal.

I seriously feel a mega trade coming.. Something that nobody see's coming...

Like.. Pleks, Collberg, plus.. For E.Kane

Or

DD, Markov, plus.. For Byfuglien

I seriously feel a mega trade coming.. Something that nobody see's coming...

Like.. Pleks, Collberg, plus.. For E.Kane

I'd do that move. Ain't going to happen but I'd trade Plekanec + for Kane. He's the level of player I would be fine with sacrificing a very good defensive player like Plekanec for.

Crazy question.. But would you do Price, DD, and a prospect for Miller and Vanek? I could see MB putting Price out there... maybe to Colorado for Duchene

Crazy question.. But would you do Price, DD, and a prospect for Miller and Vanek? I could see MB putting Price out there... maybe to Colorado for Duchene

Ew to all of that. Miller is on the downswing, Vanek is too much, Colorado isn't interested in a goaltender.

I'd do that move. Ain't going to happen but I'd trade Plekanec + for Kane. He's the level of player I would be fine with sacrificing a very good defensive player like Plekanec for.

I agree,

Kane Byfuglien Burmistrov for Plekanec Desharnais Moen Diaz Collberg

Something like that would be ridiculous, of course.

Briere coming in is the perfect piece to fill in for a missing Plek. At less of a cap hit. Giving Galchenuk 2 years to mature into a center. Could be a plausible scenario.

Ew to all of that. Miller is on the downswing, Vanek is too much, Colorado isn't interested in a goaltender.

:rofl:

I agree,

Kane Byfuglien Burmistrov for Plekanec Desharnais Moen Diaz Collberg

Something like that would be ridiculous, of course.

Briere coming in is the perfect piece to fill in for a missing Plek. At less of a cap hit. Giving Galchenuk 2 years to mature into a center. Could be a plausible scenario.

I really want Kane and Byfuglien but that package isn't going to get it even if you drop Burminstrov.

Kane is 21 and already an elite winger. Byfuglien may be fat but he's still an top four D with size and scoring.

LeBrun is on the radio saying that Briere had offers from NJ and Nashville and took less to play in Montreal...and that his conference call to Bergevin confirming this was very emotional. "This was very much and emotional [as opposed to business] decision" for Briere. Apparently Bergevin had talked with Holmgren after the buy-out and Holmgren's advice was that, by hook or by crook, get this player on your team.

So all that makes me feel a little better, I suppose.

That said, it's going to be tough to sweat out the summer waiting to see what Bergevin has up his sleeve in order to make this line-up make any sense.

I really want Kane and Byfuglien but that package isn't going to get it even if you drop Burminstrov.

Kane is 21 and already an elite winger. Byfuglien may be fat but he's still an top four D with size and scoring.

Ooooo okay..

Kane Buff Burmov for Bourque Plek DD Diaz Ellis Holland