Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker

Commandant

I guess Sweden dont need a Marc Andre-Bergeron-type.

But would be too bad if Lehkonen dosent make it, was hoping to see him play a bit.

But would be too bad if Lehkonen dosent make it, was hoping to see him play a bit.

It appears to be confirmed now that Lehkonen will not play. There are rumblings he declined the invite to play in the tune-up tourney.

Bozon will play for France but it looks as if he'll be in a reserve role and won't see much ice time.

And apparently Nygren's going to play now. I must have read something wrong as I'm sure I saw somewhere that he had been cut.

• 1 month later...

Good to hear, but looks to be lots of competition on defense, relatively low chance he will make it eh?

I wouldn't say there's a low chance he makes it, assuming the December camp roster resembles this one. He's a year older a lot of these players and Canada often leans towards the veterans over the rookies. (I also expect Juulsen to have a better season next year which should help his cause.)

Guess are only 6 right handed guys likely battling for 3 spots and all 5 I cant say I know much about.

Fabbro is highly rated but younger.

• 4 weeks later...

As part of July filler season on the site, I sometimes run a prospect mailbag. If anyone has any prospect questions (IceCaps or other prospects), post them and I'll add them in. (Otherwise, I'll invent my own questions/talking points.)

Which rookie will likely stand out the most?

Will Scherbak have a much better year?

Will team make playoffs?

Juulsen & Sergachev will be the only Habs prospects at World juniors?

Will Habs get Bitten traded to a better team?

Sounded like the big swede d-man 7th round pick stood out at camp. Think he might pan out, or just stood out simply because he is so big?

I'll wait to see the final St. John's roster before making a final prediction on the playoffs. As things stand now though, I'd lean towards them missing again. Same with the rookie question, those ones usually go in an IceCaps preview mailbag in late September/early October.

I tackled a couple of the questions in the mailbag: http://www.habsworld.net/2016/07/july-prospect-mailbag/

It's hard to really comment on Henrikson. Did he stand out simply because no one thought he was any good since he was drafted out of a lower tier junior league in Sweden? I'd like to see him predominantly in the J20 division this year just to have a better reference point to compare to other players which then might give me a bit of an idea about his potential.

Good article, but it felt really short. Could have easily been double the length and done carr justice

Yes, but is mid-summer and the Saadalla guy has recently done similar OK 'short' summery on a few prospects and thought some might have some interest.

I guess will get to see Juulsen play next week at the World Junior summer camp. (Don't think Russia is sending a team are they?)

Guest Stogey24

Yes, but is mid-summer and the Saadalla guy has recently done similar OK 'short' summery on a few prospects and thought some might have some interest.

I guess will get to see Juulsen play next week at the World Junior summer camp. (Don't think Russia is sending a team are they?)

I know Juulsen didn't have a great season offensively last year, but it feels like he's been forgotten a bit.

He has a big frame, decent speed, and will lay the body. It would be nice to see him have a strong camp.

I know Juulsen didn't have a great season offensively last year, but it feels like he's been forgotten a bit.

He has a big frame, decent speed, and will lay the body. It would be nice to see him have a strong camp.

Many seem to be projecting him as having a 2nd pairing 'ceiling'. Which seems a good guesstimate. Hope he can crack the final World Junior roster (I think are 6 RH d-men at camp, with a couple younger than Juulsen.

We will see how much and well he plays next week for starters.

Juulsen seemed a bit shaky in game yesterday with couple misplays and outmuscled for puck, but likely still working on gaining weight/strength back after jaw was wired shut.

Chychrun was flying out there and can really skate, but backchecking dosent appear to be his strong suit and was doing a lot of coasting, but likely a bit rusty and one Finn laid a nice big hit on him.

Don't think Juulsen saw any PP time.

Juulsen seemed a bit shaky in game yesterday with couple misplays and outmuscled for puck, but likely still working on gaining weight/strength back after jaw was wired shut.

Chychrun was flying out there and can really skate, but backchecking dosent appear to be his strong suit and was doing a lot of coasting, but likely a bit rusty and one Finn laid a nice big hit on him.

Don't think Juulsen saw any PP time.

Juulsen and Chabot saw a fair amount of PP time from the parts I saw (some PK time too). I thought he looked alright for a summer scrimmage. He had a nice end-to-end rush but nearly got burned coming the other way. He also blocked a shot which caused him to miss a few shifts. He looked bigger out there than I recall as well.

Seemed to me that Chychrun-Chabot-some other WHL d-man were on for the PP.

Yes he seemed in pain after blocking shot. He actually seemed thin to me and from what they said at HabCamp, that was to be expected.

Oh well see how he does Friday and Sat if he dresses for one or both of games..

Juulsen didn't play yesterday in Canada's 5-1 loss to Sweden. He'll be back in the lineup tonight (7 PM EST start) against the US to finish the tournament, again paired with Thomas Chabot.

Correct me if going blind, but again I didn't see Juulsen on for any PP time yesterday, some PK time yes. And I assume they had North American refs, as Juulsen was laying the lumber, hacking and wacking but didn't get called for any penalty. He was definitely trying to be physical and wasn't running around in his own end.

Chychrun was like a 4th forward and hung his partner out to dry numerous times again for odd man rushs against.

Did you see the "Scott Stevens on Lindros-like" hit on Crouse by Bruins 1st round d-man McAvoy. Even if he is 6'4" Crouse will need to learn to keep his head up.

Correct me if going blind, but again I didn't see Juulsen on for any PP time yesterday, some PK time yes. And I assume they had North American refs, as Juulsen was laying the lumber, hacking and wacking but didn't get called for any penalty. He was definitely trying to be physical and wasn't running around in his own end.

Chychrun was like a 4th forward and hung his partner out to dry numerous times again for odd man rushs against.

Did you see the "Scott Stevens on Lindros-like" hit on Crouse by Bruins 1st round d-man McAvoy. Even if he is 6'4" Crouse will need to learn to keep his head up.

I didn't see Juulsen on the PP either yesterday. They used Bean (who wound with Juulsen at 5-on-5), Chabot, Fabbro, and one other (Jeremy Roy?) with the man advantage. I believe the refs were all American, I think they all had the USA Hockey patches on their jerseys. I thought Juulsen looked a lot slower in this game than against Finland.

Chychrun had a really rough game, that's for sure. I wasn't expecting him to struggle that much. I was also disappointed that they hardly used Cirelli after he was by far their best player vs Sweden. They spent a lot of time running that top line that has next to no chance of actually being used at the WJC's (I figure at least one of Marner/Strome sticks in the NHL).

Certainly an impressive hit by McAvoy. That game in general was a lot more physical than I expected given that it was a summer scrimmage really.

• dlbalr changed the title to Non-Rocket Habs Prospect tracker