Who we gonna Draft?

habs rule

I'm a little confused on which 2nd round picks Montreal owns. Did they trade away Buffalo's second round pick from the Gorges trade? That would give them 34 and 39.. Similar 1 2 punch from the De la Rose Fucale year (decent picks so far). But I'm mostly seeing Montreal's 39th and also the 45th (Minnesota's?) I know I'll remember as soon as someone fills me in, but different sources are confusing me. For example hockeydb is saying we have buffalo's 34th, but draftsite.com says we have the 45th.

After diving into it further I think I got it. Buffalo actually owned Minnesota's pick before, and that's the one going to Montreal. So Minnesota's 45th, through Buffalo.

After diving into it further I think I got it. Buffalo actually owned Minnesota's pick before, and that's the one going to Montreal. So Minnesota's 45th, through Buffalo.

http://www.prosportstransactions.com/hockey/DraftTrades/Years/2016.htm

Here is website with all the future, current picks, traded picks and couple pending ones, going back to 1963

Sergachev, Jost, Juolevi, Nylander or whoever they take. we hope will be more a McDonagh (12th pick) and less a Sadler.

We only once selected ninth before. It was Robin Sadler. *shrugs*

He was supposed to be a can't miss prospect, but decided to walk away from hockey. There was a sports illustrated article about him a number of years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Well the NHL combine kicks off today.

Not sure if any of the physical testing results (or size) correlates to future player performance; but the player interviews combined with the 1,000 scouting reports of each kids actual play is likely much more important.

Say about same as McCarron, which isnt the skill needed to be chosen in top ten. Especially when will likely be one of Chychrun/Sergachev and 2 super skilled centres like Jost, Keller available.

How does he regularly play?

He's a lot like Rick Nash but not as talented. There are games where he does absolutely nothing and then one shift just turns up the volume and makes a great play. He looks lazy but it's not lazy. It's like he's got a 486 computer in his head. Takes a while to warm up.

He's not like McCarron who has a good motor in him but might not be offensively gifted. Brown has much better hands. He's just really frustrating to watch. He'll be even more frustrating in the NHL. But he's the perfect player to show in YouTube clips. Kinda like how people thought Kerby Rychel was going to be a definite NHLer off of clips instead of seeing the games.

Assuming we don't trade up and the predicted forwards go in the top six, I'm thinking Jost is our best bet? I haven't heard anything bad about him so far, he would be my choice.

Say about same as McCarron, which isnt the skill needed to be chosen in top ten. Especially when will likely be one of Chychrun/Sergachev and 2 super skilled centres like Jost, Keller available.

Brown is more skilled than McCarron, better skater, better passer, better stickhandler.

That said, I have the same concerns about consistency that MoLG does.

Too big = too slow and really not impressed that he looks good vs high school kids, but a big soft centre I see the others as better...maybe 'safer' options to not be a flop and be more impact players down the road.

Any news from NHL combine on Hab interviewees or other trivia yet?

I've seen very little in that regard thus far. Chychrun is scheduled to interview with 25 teams so it's somewhat safe to assume Montreal will be one of those.

Chychrun was very highly rated at start of year and dosent seem as much anymore (McLeod is similar), I haven't seen him play much at all. Juolevi dosent seem like a puck-rushing d-man or like a d-man you would want to take in top 10 and good defensive d-men can be found later on. Sergachev seems like a nice option at 9, but would he still be available.

The Toronto trade was 7th (1st), 68th (3rd) and a 2nd rounder the next year to move up to 5th.

The Habs going 9th to 5th by trading 9th, 39th and say a 3rd rounder next year. With Vancouver I could see that. Same to Calgary (9th to 6th) Not so much Edmonton.

Basically if Matthews goes to Toronto, Laine to Winnipeg, Puj to Columbus, and then Edmonton takes Chychrun, I think Montreal could go ahead and trade up to take Dubois. If the Oilers take Dubois, they probably stay put.

Chychrun was very highly rated at start of year and dosent seem as much anymore (McLeod is similar), I haven't seen him play much at all. Juolevi dosent seem like a puck-rushing d-man or like a d-man you would want to take in top 10 and good defensive d-men can be found later on. Sergachev seems like a nice option at 9, but would he still be available.

I'm not 100% sure why he fell. Maybe it's because the offensive jump wasn't there as expected (he had almost an identical points-per-game mark the last two years) and guys like Juolevi and Sergachev got into the mix. I know decision making has been called into question a few times for him as well although I think you could say that about most 17 year old defencemen. I'd be in favour of taking him at #9 for sure.

I wouldn't. Unless you're getting into the top-3 (which isn't happening), I don't see enough of a gap between the 4/5/6 guys and the ones that will be there at #9 to justify paying a somewhat hefty price tag (such as 39 plus another pick) to jump up a few spots. That said, I very rarely see the point in trading up and more often than not would prefer that they trade down.