2016 World Cup thread

JoeLassister

Of the teams that named the rest of their rosters earlier today, Emelin has been added to Team Russia. And if you think Shipachyov makes it over to the Habs for next season, he was named as well.

A look at

- Todays Developments

- How an NHL team could pay Shipachyov's buyout (and the precedent for doing so).

- What today's World Cup announcement means

and why we believe this is all a financial powerplay by SKA St. Petersburg to get more than the $700,000 buyout amount.

Good too bad Price made it.

That's more or less my philosophy. I wouldn't have minded Galchenyuk going just for some experience at a higher level but not anyone else really...maybe Eller (if he's still around come training camp). The veterans I'd have been more than content with them missing out. But I don't need Hab players in the tournament to watch one way or the other.

• Upvote 1

That's more or less my philosophy. I wouldn't have minded Galchenyuk going just for some experience at a higher level but not anyone else really...maybe Eller (if he's still around come training camp). The veterans I'd have been more than content with them missing out. But I don't need Hab players in the tournament to watch one way or the other.

I might boycott it just because of Subban. Then again, I might be so desperate for hockey at that point that anything goes.

Guest Stogey24

I might boycott it just because of Subban. Then again, I might be so desperate for hockey at that point that anything goes.

I used to have that same mentality before going to the bar.

It's going up against preseason games. I think you might be feeling the itch by then, especially when compared to preseason hockey.

The itch for Oct season opener yes, not more exhibition games (which Habs started playing in late Jan).

World cup and Olympics crap just pile on to an almost never ending season, where to win cup you already need to play up to 110 reg season + pre-season games.

Passing over subban in favour of peiterangelo (who had ugly giveaways in the playoffs), Muzzan and classic is a joke. Don't care about the RH/LH balance when you are talking about elite level talent.

Passing over 30 goal scorer Galchenyuk is another joke. I think I'm going to root for the Russians, Finns or Americans in that order.

I can kinda understand the Galchenyuk decision inasmuch as his good numbers rely heavily on a huge scoring tear towards the end of the season - at a point when the Habs were in that 'meaningless game' phase that makes talent evaluation notoriously tricky.

Subban, I agree; it's a farce. If I wasn't so tired of this Subban-hating narrative, I'd be outraged; as it is, it's just more of the same from the blinkered old guard types.

The only good thing about these snubs, apart from the removal of injury risk, is that it can (hopefully) be used as fuel to further motivate these two outstanding talents. A Cup would pretty much shove it up the arses of the clowns making these decisions.

I can kinda understand the Galchenyuk decision inasmuch as his good numbers rely heavily on a huge scoring tear towards the end of the season - at a point when the Habs were in that 'meaningless game' phase that makes talent evaluation notoriously tricky.

Subban, I agree; it's a farce. If I wasn't so tired of this Subban-hating narrative, I'd be outraged; as it is, it's just more of the same from the blinkered old guard types.

The only good thing about these snubs, apart from the removal of injury risk, is that it can (hopefully) be used as fuel to further motivate these two outstanding talents. A Cup would pretty much shove it up the arses of the clowns making these decisions.

now that I really agree with :clap:

Passing over subban in favour of peiterangelo (who had ugly giveaways in the playoffs), Muzzan and classic is a joke. Don't care about the RH/LH balance when you are talking about elite level talent.

Passing over 30 goal scorer Galchenyuk is another joke. I think I'm going to root for the Russians, Finns or Americans in that order.

Good ol Marc-Edouard Classic

So how does this affect the Subban/Bergevin relationship?

It's not a direct parallel with the St Louis/Yzerman Olympic decision since Yzerman was the GM with ultimate power and Bergevin is only an assistant. However St Louis was a marginal player at that point in his career while Subban is a bona-fide top 5 in the league Norris winning defenseman with playoff experience.

This has to sting for Subban.

So how does this affect the Subban/Bergevin relationship?

It's not a direct parallel with the St Louis/Yzerman Olympic decision since Yzerman was the GM with ultimate power and Bergevin is only an assistant. However St Louis was a marginal player at that point in his career while Subban is a bona-fide top 5 in the league Norris winning defenseman with playoff experience.

This has to sting for Subban.

And great playoff production to boot. Subban somehow elevates his game for big games, which is part of the reason I'm mind blown by his omission. Subban is EXACTLY what I'd want from my defense this tourney. Not sure how they don't see it.

If Galchenyuk not getting pick pisses you off, why would you root for the Americans?

Pietrangenlo and Vlasic over Subban is definitely bad, but Muzzin emerged as a stud this year. Outside of goals, he was pretty much Shea Weber's equal.

If Galchenyuk not getting pick pisses you off, why would you root for the Americans?

Chucky was passed over by the North American team, not the US.

Guest Stogey24

Pretty sure Subban has the highest points per game in the playoffs for a D man, since coming into league

The rosters are all screwy

Subban vs Pietrangelo and Weber at RD
Brodie vs Muzzin at LD

Galchenyuk vs J.T. Miller

John Klingberg vs whoever on that Swedish team

Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo vs Ryan Callahan

Where is Corey Perry, Taylor Hall?

Christian Ehrhoff is on a team and that guy can't even stay in the NHL.

I don't like Lars Eller's contract, but don't tell me Pierre-Marc Bellemare is a better player than Eller.

Its screwy.

PPG:

Drouin - .46

Couturier - .44

Miller - .39

Galchenyuk - .58

Not to mention he has played 275 NHL games, fresh off of a 30 goal season on a team that couldn't score and has also won medals in his two previous international competitions. I have no idea how he could be left off the roster in favor of the players listed above and you could debate against others that were named.

Of those players, I could understand Couturier if that team plans to run a checking line. That's an role where Galchenyuk would struggle. Miller wasn't bad last year and is much more of a physical player so he might be a better fit for a certain role (perhaps that checking line again) if the team was picking people for specific roles.

I really disagree with Drouin making it over Galchenyuk though. Not only is Drouin rewarded for his little tantrum, it's not as if he was lighting it up aside from 17 games in the playoffs. His previous two regular seasons combined, he had 8 goals in 91 games. Matthews just feels like a PR stunt more than anything too. I thought Galchenyuk and Boone Jenner (who may have had the quietest 30 goal season in a long time) easily should have made it.

After the lack of heart shown by most of the swedish nhlers I would have been most happy if all who said no (without a really good reason) to the just finished world championships should not have been invited to to world cup. I dont care if our team would suck. It would still be an important lesson learned for the lazy ass Swedish nhl-players. It is a hard choice for me to make. Finland or Sweden? I am 50% of each in my blood.

The rosters are all screwy

Subban vs Pietrangelo and Weber at RD

Brodie vs Muzzin at LD

Galchenyuk vs J.T. Miller

John Klingberg vs whoever on that Swedish team

Phil Kessel, Kyle Okposo vs Ryan Callahan

Where is Corey Perry, Taylor Hall?

Christian Ehrhoff is on a team and that guy can't even stay in the NHL.

I don't like Lars Eller's contract, but don't tell me Pierre-Marc Bellemare is a better player than Eller.

Its screwy.

Drouin over Galchenyuk is sheer lunacy.

I guess the answer we'll get from these managerial geniuses is that they are not just assembling all-star teams, but rather building 'teams' proper. So it's about 'synergies' about balancing off different kinds of players to create a cohesive roster.

The problem is that this logic simply does not apply to Subban, who is IN FACT a highly complete defenceman who can play in all three zones and can play the game any damned way you want him to play it: offensive, defensive, physical, etc..

They're full of crap, allowing personal biases of various kinds (including, I continue to argue, subliminal racism) to colour their decisions. It's a story as old as hockey itself.