End of Season Presser 2015-16

DON

I don't know what reporter is currently giving Therrien the gears over his use of Galchenyuk, but I love him for it.

Edit: This is on the year-end press conference.

Edit 2: Tony Marinaro you gorgeous motherer.

Does this really need its own topic? We've known this for at least a week, and if you could read between the lines most of us realized he would be back months ago.

I think this was the first time it was made "official" via Bergevin's presser.

This is a bullshit decision. A far a I'm concerned, MB and MT should both be on short leashes now. If MB doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY upgrade the offense THIS summer, he should be fired. First significant losing streak that we have next year that fat clown Mt should be canned. So much for no excuses and holding people accountable.

If Management isn't held accountable, how can they hold the players accountable???

Guest Stogey24

I don't know what reporter is currently giving Therrien the gears over his use of Galchenyuk, but I love him for it.

Edit: This is on the year-end press conference.

Edit 2: Tony Marinaro you gorgeous mother######er.

Marinaro is awesome man. Doesn't tip toe around questions

Guest Stogey24

This is a bullshit decision. A far a I'm concerned, MB an MT should both be on short leashes now. If MB doesn't SIGNIFICANTLY upgrade upgrade offense THIS summer, he should should be fired. First significant losing streak that we have next year that fat clown Mt should be canned so much for no excuses and holding people accountable.

If Management isn't held accountable, how can they hold the players accountable???

How the fack this coaching staff are all safe is beyond me. No accountability at all.

I'm looking forward to see what this team can do with a healthy lineup. Therrien has had a great record and has surpassed expectations in every year except this injury plagued season. It's not his fault a guy like Paul Byron was one of his best options up front, or he had a tandem of a rookie goalie and Ben "can't make the Oilers!" Scrivens. No coach in the world would have got this team into the playoffs the way it was.

Listening to some of the press conference, the message was the entire organization feels the season was an amalgamation of bad luck and injuries and it's best to just try again next season. Bergevin even downplayed the free agency market saying it wasn't easy with 29 teams and having to give out term. Said the team improved on last year with goal scoring but their goal stopping was down. Pretty much it's all on Carey Price and the team to be healthy and everything will be better next year.

Not quite the message I think anyone wants to hear.

Yeah, it's tough as a GM.

Like any GM that takes over for a fired exec, there are a lot of easy, obvious decisions to make. It was obvious to buyout Scott Gomez and Tomas Kaberle. They needed some grit, and they signed "character guys" back when that wasn't a code word for being unable or unwilling to acquire players of substance. They got a shot in the arm right away from Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Subban and Price became stars. Andrei Markov got healthy.

Four years later, the obvious, overnight moves have been made and they're all out of ideas. What worries me, is that they seem to be suffering from the kind of myopic dissonance of long term managers in any organization-they can't relate to other organizations, and they only see things from their perspective. It's not been hard for teams to add wingers. Teams have had difficulty getting goaltenders, centers, or top-2 men, not wingers. Shit, they bought out a guy with 15 goals this year.

It's all over for this management group. Maybe Bergevin thinks that by not admitting mistakes by firing coaches, making trades, or big signings he'll prolong his tenure. That's not the case, imo. There just isn't going to be an Act 2 like we saw with Gainey.

Also, wtf is up with Bergevin saying "it's on me" and then appearing in a press conference with the entire upper management cohort?

• Upvote 1

Quite often reality isn't the message anyone wants to hear...

I think what might be gnawing at me lately is that I remember for years it was "We'd be better if Markov was healthy" and "Look how much we accomplished without our #1 defenceman" and now it's "We'd be a top team if Price was healthy" and "You can't expect much more than .350 hockey without the best goalie in the NHL."

We're honestly repeating history of the Gainey era in a lot of unfortunate ways.

Listening to some of the press conference, the message was the entire organization feels the season was an amalgamation of bad luck and injuries and it's best to just try again next season. Bergevin even downplayed the free agency market saying it wasn't easy with 29 teams and having to give out term. Said the team improved on last year with goal scoring but their goal stopping was down. Pretty much it's all on Carey Price and the team to be healthy and everything will be better next year.

Not quite the message I think anyone wants to hear.

On Therrien: I'm disappointed, but not wholly surprised, nor enraged. I think the team could use a new voice, a fresh perspective. And I think it is better to send the message that losing is unacceptable, period, than to make excuses, even if those excuses are reasonable. Finally, I think that Therrien probably is approaching his best-by date, so we are putting ourselves at risk of another lost season by not acting preemptively. Therefore, I disagree with this.

That said, I don't think coaching has been the massive, self-evident problem it's made out to be by most on this board. The other thing to consider is, frankly, money. MT is on the books for another three years, the dollar is down, and the team lost a lot in playoff revenue. It's entirely possible that Molson is simply not in the mood to pay Therrien to NOT coach for three years. Given that, as I just posited, coaching has not been a major problem, he probably sees no rational reason why he should eat that contract.

On Bergevin's wider message, as described by Machine: if MB is being serious, rather than just cagey or trying to manage expectations, then this is unacceptable. We are two FWs short of a top-6 (assuming Pleks is still a legit top-6er). He HAS to fix this. It's not optional; it's an absolute necessity. If he doesn't take meaningful steps to fix it between now and next trade deadline, then he is betraying everyone from the players to the fans, and should be fired. Period.

• Upvote 1

Not sure what constitutes trolling, other than with cut herring plug and downrigger; but, which thread should this be under, Fire Therrien has been beat to death, so how bout the other end of spectrum.

I am very pleased they wont need to be wasting time doing a coach search and then hiring a staff over next couple months. Simply to make a sideways move in a change for sake of change.

And on to year 5 of Therrrien-haters inane ranting.

They didn't say much of anything.

Bergevin BS'd his whole way through.

this year... signing top 6 is tough, and 29 teams will be after them, but i'll try.

No shit?

Of course he doesn't want to give agents ammunition on July 1st.

Just like last year when he said he didn't know if alex galchenyuk could play centre, and then the day after he signed his extension was all about, oh we are putting alex at centre to start the season, and we have to make him into a centre.

Well, someone renamed the thread for y'all.

Lefebvre also will be back and Bergevin explained exactly as I thought and said he knows he could of inserted vet AHLers to help winning, but didn't want prospects to be sitting to let the journeyman take the icetime.

What did you expect to hear from Bergevin?

Lefebvre also will be back and Bergevin explained exactly as I thought and said he knows he could of inserted vet AHLers to help winning, but didn't want prospects to be sitting to let the journeyman take the icetime.

What Bergevin fails to realize is that they can still play the youngsters ahead of the veterans when all are healthy. Then, when injuries arise, they have competent replacements instead of the Andrew Yogan's of the world. Four years should have been enough to come to this realization.

Guest Stogey24

They didn't say much of anything.

Bergevin BS'd his whole way through.

this year... signing top 6 is tough, and 29 teams will be after them, but i'll try.

No shit?

Of course he doesn't want to give agents ammunition on July 1st.

Just like last year when he said he didn't know if alex galchenyuk could play centre, and then the day after he signed his extension was all about, oh we are putting alex at centre to start the season, and we have to make him into a centre.

Yup.

Wow. That was some of the best formulaic answers to hockey questions I've ever heard. MB has no intention of developing top 6 players from the minors for next year, he's bullshitting. I expect two UFA signings this summer.

Remember, this is a man who signed Briere (chose Montreal) and Semin (no one else wanted him) so this summer he HAS to get more aggressive. Give the money and term to land Okposo and Ladd, just friggin' do it.

Wow. That was some of the best formulaic answers to hockey questions I've ever heard. MB has no intention of developing top 6 players from the minors for next year, he's bullshitting. I expect two UFA signings this summer.

Remember, this is a man who signed Briere (chose Montreal) and Semin (no one else wanted him) so this summer he HAS to get more aggressive. Give the money and term to land Okposo and Ladd, just friggin' do it.

I'd rather see a line of Eller-DD-Carr.

"The Stability Line"

As far as I am concerned, the last twelve months were a total failure for MB. I find him more responsible for this mess than MT. Petry signing was OK, but that was some big money and term to fill that #3 Defense hole. He signed Semin and Kassian to add to the scoring depth, rather than finding a top 6 player. I am fine with that. Both players were low risk moves. My problem is that when they both failed, he did nothing to fix the issue. He made a ton of excuses about possession and playing well in December and January, but being unable to finish. Well, if he would have filled one of the gaping holes in the top 6 with someone even moderately qualified, that finish may have happened. I don't blame him for not making moves on the goaltending front. With the information that he had, I feel that MB made reasonable decisions on that front. What I don't find reasonable is how he goes on the attack and patronizes people for asking questions about why he isn't filling top 6 needs. They aren't out there. They want too much money. They want too much term. This isn't playstation. I tried. Just a bunch of drivel spewing out of his mouth as far as I am concerned. He then said that he will continue to supplement scoring with the 3rd and 4th line. So status quo. Its really annoying. I don't normally go on the offensive, and I try to stay pretty pragmatic, but personally I would rather see MB fired than MT. He has till the trade deadline to change my mind, but his 12 month score from me is a D-