Habs sign Reway

kaos

You think the language the coach talks to the fans and media is the same as what happens behind closed doors? I don't think the two issues are the same at all.

I disagree with needing a bilingual coach, but I don't see the issue as near the same as this.

Yes they are the same. Exactly the same and its sad. Neither issue makes any sense. The most important thing a coach needs to do is communicate with the players. All done in English. Nobody expects the players to learn French why is the coach expected to?

All the Habs need to do is tell the French media(the only ones that make issue of this) to off we are hiring the best coach period. Guaranteed next game the fans will still show up and the team will still makes millions (the only thing that truly matters to Molsons).

Same way as nobody should care whether someone is gay.

But for some reason the French media needs to make issues of these things instead of worrying about winning.

Odd comment? Why do you say that?

We have the sense of MT as an old-school guy who will do like Gainey did when Ribs and Grabovski gave him trouble - ship 'em out rather than work with them to make them better players/men.

Of course, when you sit down and think about it, it's not clear that there are any examples of young players under Therrien/Bergevin being approached this way. The guys they have given up on (Tinordi, DSP, Sekac) seem mostly to have been 'hockey' decisions rather than 'personal/character' decisions. We may be extrapolating from the conservative approach the regime adopted toward PK Subban. Time will tell, but I tend to share the view that says MT will not tolerate Reway if what we've heard about Reway's character is accurate.

We have the sense of MT as an old-school guy who will do like Gainey did when Ribs and Grabovski gave him trouble - ship 'em out rather than work with them to make them better players/men.

Of course, when you sit down and think about it, it's not clear that there are any examples of young players under Therrien/Bergevin being approached this way. The guys they have given up on (Tinordi, DSP, Sekac) seem mostly to have been 'hockey' decisions rather than 'personal/character' decisions. We may be extrapolating from the conservative approach the regime adopted toward PK Subban. Time will tell, but I tend to share the view that says MT will not tolerate Reway if what we've heard about Reway's character is accurate.

As far as character goes, I can see that, but as far as not giving him a shot to prove he can play is what I assumed he might of meant.

Lots of a**holes in pro sports (I think list is darn near endless), but if they can play all can be forgiven or overlooked, as long as they produce and entertain the fans.

Lots of a**holes in pro sports (I think list is darn near endless), but if they can play all can be forgiven or overlooked, as long as they produce and entertain the fans.

Completely agree. Does MT feel the same way, is the question.

I am not sure about that. I don't see Le Genius as a good coach for young guys. Of course I don't see him as a good coach so my opinion really means shit. I look at stats and not necessarily results. You guys like the "hey we won didn't we attitude" I like the why did we win? and how does that mean we get a cup. I have seen no evidence that we can get a cup. A lot of you are of the opinion that we are ok if we have a good year. That is pure Trawna Maple laffs bs.

We have a good year when we win the cup.NO MORE FORKING EXCUSES.

I am not sure about that. I don't see Le Genius as a good coach for young guys. Of course I don't see him as a good coach so my opinion really means shit. I look at stats and not necessarily results. You guys like the "hey we won didn't we attitude" I like the why did we win? and how does that mean we get a cup. I have seen no evidence that we can get a cup. A lot of you are of the opinion that we are ok if we have a good year. That is pure Trawna Maple laffs bs.

We have a good year when we win the cup.NO MORE FORKING EXCUSES.

The view that he is bad with young players is widespread.

Whether it's grounded in any evidence is another question.

If DSP continues to explode in New Jersey (which seems unlikely) then that will be Exhibit A for the argument. But when you think about it, it's pretty hard to find clear-cut examples of MT foiling the development of young guys. Guys like Sekac and Tinordi have so far been just plain flops, not victims of MT per se. The most that can be said, it seems to me, is that Beaulieu, Pateryn, and Galy could have been brought along more quickly. That may be a valid critique, but it's not the same thing as him being 'bad' for the players' development. From a certain point of view, it's just the opposite.

If DSP continues to explode in New Jersey (which seems unlikely) then that will be Exhibit A for the argument. But when you think about it, it's pretty hard to find clear-cut examples of MT foiling the development of young guys. Guys like Sekac and Tinordi have so far been just plain flops, not victims of MT per se. The most that can be said, it seems to me, is that Beaulieu, Pateryn, and Galy could have been brought along more quickly. That may be a valid critique, but it's not the same thing as him being 'bad' for the players' development. From a certain point of view, it's just the opposite.

I liked Sekac.

That said, I think most would agree they would prefer Joel Quenneville or Dave Tippett as our head coach. Even Bruce Boudreau as our head coach. In Sekac's time being coached by all three, he's had 13 points in 58 games (not counting his 7 playoff games with 0 points). In Sekac's time in Montreal he had 16 points in 50 games. In other words, Therrien got more out of Sekac than those three combined. Maybe Tippett does great things with him next year. Right now, it's clear he's just a good puck carrier who has no clue what to do otherwise with it.

It bugs me that he's used as an example of Therrien being awful with young players because Sekac likely wishes he was still a Hab.

Odd comment? Why do you say that?

I have similar concerns to be honest. The young players that have had opportunities right away - and there have been some - have shown some ability (or at least effort) in the defensive zone. Reway isn't exactly the most conciencious of backcheckers. Compare him to Lehkonen, a player who does work at both ends, and it's certainly fair to speculate that he'll get more of a look than Reway if all else is equal. If Reway comes into camp and shows he can produce right away (or decides to try to play more of a two-way game), that may change but if not, I wouldn't be shocked if some of the other youngsters get longer looks.

I have similar concerns to be honest. The young players that have had opportunities right away - and there have been some - have shown some ability (or at least effort) in the defensive zone. Reway isn't exactly the most conciencious of backcheckers. Compare him to Lehkonen, a player who does work at both ends, and it's certainly fair to speculate that he'll get more of a look than Reway if all else is equal. If Reway comes into camp and shows he can produce right away (or decides to try to play more of a two-way game), that may change but if not, I wouldn't be shocked if some of the other youngsters get longer looks.

I was more thinking of Therrien not giving him a shot if earns a spot, simply because he is Therrien..

Not, can he crack the roster or not or be a model citizen.

I was more thinking of Therrien not giving him a shot if earns a spot, simply because he is Therrien..

Not, can he crack the roster or not or be a model citizen.

If he doesn't work in the defensive end in camp, it'll be really hard for him to earn a spot (unless he absolutely lights it up offensively). I don't think there's going to be much patience from management or coaches with Reway. I suspect they'll go with the tough love approach.

If he doesn't work in the defensive end in camp, it'll be really hard for him to earn a spot (unless he absolutely lights it up offensively). I don't think there's going to be much patience from management or coaches with Reway. I suspect they'll go with the tough love approach.

I'd come down the middle on this myself. The team needs offence - PERIOD. Now I'm not saying Reway is the guy to provide it (some of you have noticed my general policy of putting little faith in raw rookies). What I am saying is that if you have a player who can genuinely provide that dimension on your team, but whose defensive game is mediocre, we should tolerate it under the circumstances. Now, if the player is worse than just mediocre - if he's outright terrible outside the O-zone and doesn't give a sh*t about improving - that's a different matter. He needs at least to show some good faith, some willingness to be half-decent. But I would tolerate some lapses and mistakes in exchange for goals.

I'd come down the middle on this myself. The team needs offence - PERIOD. Now I'm not saying Reway is the guy to provide it (some of you have noticed my general policy of putting little faith in raw rookies). What I am saying is that if you have a player who can genuinely provide that dimension on your team, but whose defensive game is mediocre, we should tolerate it under the circumstances. Now, if the player is worse than just mediocre - if he's outright terrible outside the O-zone and doesn't give a sh*t about improving - that's a different matter. He needs at least to show some good faith, some willingness to be half-decent. But I would tolerate some lapses and mistakes in exchange for goals.

I tend to agree with all of this. This was why I was ok when the Habs signed Semin last year; I thought his offensive contributions would outweigh the occasional defensive lapse. Clearly I was wrong in that case, but Reway might legitimately fill such a role in a few years, if not sooner. BUT, Therrian will have to take the bad with the good, and realise that not every player is going to be a Selke candidate if that's going to work.

Call me old fashioned, but I like my scoring lines to consist of scorers. I want people in the top 6 that have offensive abilities, not the focus to be on being defensively responsible. That's what grinders, defensemen and the goalie are for. I am going to lose my mind if I see a Dale Weise or Paul Byron type of player in the top 6 this year.

I am going to lose my mind if I see a Dale Weise or Paul Byron type of player in the top 6 this year.

We say this every year, and every year we end up with a guy like that on a scoring line. It happened under Martin too. It's partly our roster construction, and it's partly our coach loving his grinders at the expense of forwards with offensive abilities.

We say this every year, and every year we end up with a guy like that on a scoring line. It happened under Martin too. It's partly our roster construction, and it's partly our coach loving his grinders at the expense of forwards with offensive abilities.

I'm with Don on this one, coaches aren't sitting any superstars in favor of grinders by any means. He can only work with what he has, and that's pretty much just grinders. He wouldn't "bury" any offensive star in favor of a two way plug, despite the never dying narrative around here.

I'm with Don on this one, coaches aren't sitting any superstars in favor of grinders by any means. He can only work with what he has, and that's pretty much just grinders. He wouldn't "bury" any offensive star in favor of a two way plug, despite the never dying narrative around here.

It's not about superstars, which we clearly lack up front. It's about guys who have a chance of putting up points, like Hudon for instance, being sat in favour of guys like De La Rose, who will never put up much in the way of offensive numbers.

And Andrew Shaw ends up top 6 in Chicago.

Every team has this happen from time to time, especially when injuries hit.

It's not about superstars, which we clearly lack up front. It's about guys who have a chance of putting up points, like Hudon for instance, being sat in favour of guys like De La Rose, who will never put up much in the way of offensive numbers.

I agree with you if a guy like De La Rose is getting top 6 minutes over a guy like Hudon but the problem is that the team has a lack of offensively talented players. It's pretty much hoping for the best that one or two of Carr, Andrighetto, Lehkonen or Reway can complete the top 6. And neither of those options are going to be a part of a Cup winning team. UFA signings is the only way to go at this point in my opinion to fill in the gaps up front.

And Andrew Shaw ends up top 6 in Chicago.

Every team has this happen from time to time, especially when injuries hit.

Shaw was on the top line for three games in the playoffs with everyone in Chicago healthy. Especially the game where he took the stupid penalty that cost them at the end against the Blues.