Habs acquire Andrew Shaw; Eller to Washington

dlbalr

I'm not as confident. This wasn't the move we needed to make - we need help on the top6. hopefully that will still come.

We'll have to see if Eller does better in a new environment and if Shaw can do better on a team with less offensive talent.

I agree with that. This in no way addresses the team's most glaring needs. It does represent an improvement on what Eller brought, however, IMHO.

If I had to guess the logic? The offence is more or less a wash so I'm thinking they feel he's a better fit. Eller's consistently inconsistent while Shaw's high end energy style doesn't fluctuate from night to night as much. That, and he's more of a grinder which fits in with what Therrien likes.

Andrew Shaw was close to a deal in Chicago last week. $73 mil salary cap crushed that. Likely gets ext done with Montreal soon.

— Darren Dreger (@DarrenDreger) June 25, 2016

Oh goodie a 4- 4.5 million dollar grinder. This is going to be a tough negotiation for Mark down Markie. Maybe he flips him, cause he ain't worth that kind of money inho. Nor the 4 or 5 years wants. They couldn't sign what makes us think we can?

Oh goodie a 4- 4.5 million dollar grinder. This is going to be a tough negotiation for Mark down Markie. Maybe he flips him, cause he ain't worth that kind of money inho. Nor the 4 or 5 years wants. They couldn't sign what makes us think we can?

Tough crowd. MB gets WASH to overpay for a forgettable 3rd liner, then overpays to get a 3rd liner who is one of the most hated guys in the game, is younger than Lars, brings at least as much offence PLUS a ton of jam and agitation, and Cup rings. All he did was improve the team. Now, IF the contract sucks, and IF we fail to add any extra offence, then that's another story. But right now, we're better than we were yesterday. That's a good thing.

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

Tough crowd. MB gets WASH to overpay for a forgettable 3rd liner, then overpays to get a 3rd liner who is one of the most hated guys in the game, is younger than Lars, brings at least as much offence PLUS a ton of jam and agitation, and Cup rings. All he did was improve the team. Now, IF the contract sucks, and IF we fail to add any extra offence, then that's another story. But right now, we're better than we were yesterday. That's a good thing.

Chicago traded him because he wanted too much money. If he was going to get a good contract, Chicago would have kept him.

Ladd - Plekanec - Shaw

Calling it now

I concur. I think MB will steer clear of the Okposo's, Lucic's, Eriksson's of FA and go for a character guy like Ladd.

Chicago traded him because he wanted too much money. If he was going to get a good contract, Chicago would have kept him.

Rumour has it a deal was pretty much baked between CHI and Shaw but then the cap was revealed at $73M (no increase) which cause CHI to pull their offer off the table. MTL will get the same deal done because they have the cap space.

Gave up second rounders in the first half, 39, 45. Likely gave up 52 and 54 ish

Shaw is the type of player this team needs, any playoff team needs, character in spades, grit in spades, and leadership and drive in spades.

Those of you who would rather keep the slightly better picks obviously aren't focused on our "cup window" like a lot of you were saying earlier, need a better team now mantra.

I was an Eller supporter, but tired of waiting, so the two picks won't be much different because we can compete with a healthy Price for 1st in the East, I truly believe that, and adding a "slightly bigger" but maybe less skilled Gallagher type player, for old under achiever of the year every year Eller, it's a great trade...

Shake yer heads... instantly better team.

UFA to come for the top 6...

CC this is a bottom 6 forward, we need more of those? This team is being built on the premise that goal scoring is not a priority. We paid a very high price for this guy. Yes I agree with dumping Lars but we need guys who can actually score. Andrew Shaw played with some talented guys that we don't have for him. He is Eller with an attitude is that we need? A 5 ft 11 in guy with an attitude? for what? We already have Gally.

CC this is a bottom 6 forward, we need more of those? This team is being built on the premise that goal scoring is not a priority. We paid a very high price for this guy. Yes I agree with dumping Lars but we need guys who can actually score. Andrew Shaw played with some talented guys that we don't have for him. He is Eller with an attitude is that we need? A 5 ft 11 in guy with an attitude? for what? We already have Gally.

Thing is, 2 second round picks will not get you a top-6 forward. MB has been clear from day one that getting a top-6 player via trade will create a hole somewhere else in your lineup. I agree that this team needs a top forward and believe one will come the FA route. But, I have no problem upgrading the bottom-6 forwards and using picks to do that. If we weren't so obsessed with landing a Taylor Hall or Matt Duchesne then I think we would be celebrating this trade, we got a guy who is a terror on the ice and has won two Cups at the young age of 24. He's arguably our best player in the bottom-6 and will see ice time on the second line. He's no RNH but he's way better than Eller, Desharnais, Andrighetto, Carr, Danault, Byron, Miychell, Flynn, Matteau and DLR. As for your last sentence, you can never have too many guys like Gallagher. Look what happened when Gallagher got hurt - no one could replace what he brings to the ice. Now we have Shaw. That's a good thing IMO.

• Upvote 1

Apparently you can never have too many bottom 6 forwards and #6 dmen.

I like shaw better than eller but not worth 2 second rounders, Elliot was traded for 1,

I expect MB to sign another bottom d man or 2 and take a flyer on someone washed up for some top 6 minutes, seems to be his MO.

Apparently you can never have too many bottom 6 forwards and #6 dmen.

I like shaw better than eller but not worth 2 second rounders, Elliot was traded for 1,

I expect MB to sign another bottom d man or 2 and take a flyer on someone washed up for some top 6 minutes, seems to be his MO.

Supply and demand my friend. No doubt when CHI decided they were going to move Shaw they had a ton of interest. It took 2 second rounders to get him to MTL. As for Brian Elliott, how many teams are looking for a #1 goalie besides Calgary? And there's also Bishop, Fleury, and probably Jimmy Howard available. STL needed to dump a goalie and took what they could get.

I think the real objection people have to this is that it's not the "big move" to fix our scoring woes. And, clearly, it isn't; but that doesn't mean it's not an upgrade. Which it is.

• Upvote 1

Thing is, 2 second round picks will not get you a top-6 forward. MB has been clear from day one that getting a top-6 player via trade will create a hole somewhere else in your lineup. I agree that this team needs a top forward and believe one will come the FA route. But, I have no problem upgrading the bottom-6 forwards and using picks to do that. If we weren't so obsessed with landing a Taylor Hall or Matt Duchesne then I think we would be celebrating this trade, we got a guy who is a terror on the ice and has won two Cups at the young age of 24. He's arguably our best player in the bottom-6 and will see ice time on the second line. He's no RNH but he's way better than Eller, Desharnais, Andrighetto, Carr, Danault, Byron, Miychell, Flynn, Matteau and DLR. As for your last sentence, you can never have too many guys like Gallagher. Look what happened when Gallagher got hurt - no one could replace what he brings to the ice. Now we have Shaw. That's a good thing IMO.

You make some good points, and I like guys with grit, but reaaly 2 2nds seems a bit much to me. Why not hanley who will never play for the habs? just kidding.

A few things

1) Shaw is asking for 4.5 million. Doesn't mean he'll get it. Let's wait for the numbers.

2) Shaw is better than Eller. You can call him a bottom six forward if you want, but to me he's a top 6. He's likely to be the 6th best forward on the team. And thats fine. You know what... most teams don't have 6 forwards getting 35 or more points. He's fine as the 6th guy in the top 6. Also better suited for the wing.

He can also be used on the third line (As the defensive conscience for DD), while one of Sven, Lehkonen, Carr, Reway, Scherbak, Hudon is on Plek's wing (Plek being the defensive conscience there).

The key here remains that we need a top notch UFA in free agency.

We all knew we needed 2 top six forwards. We changed Eller into Shaw... cost of about 500k-1million in cap hit per year, and exchanging some 2nd rounders for slightly worse second rounders. I'm fine with that. I actually think its an upgrade to the roster.

Guest Stogey24

All analytics point to Eller being the better player.

All analytics point to Eller being the better player.

Well except for actually scoring.

Eller is an analytics darling, but it never translates into points. Its an issue I've had with him for some time.

He will keep possession. He will cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and cycle and lose the puck or take a shot from a bad angle.

I like analytics, like them a lot, but they are not infalliable.

Guys like Semin who were taking a ton of bad angle shots.

Guys like Eller who maintain possession but never create anything with it.

They can get overrated by the analytics.

If we didn't need TWO top six forwards, I would be okay with this trade. I'm tired of plugging the bottom 6. Been doing it now for the past 4 years.

I agree with Commandant. Shaw is better than every bottom six er on this team. Can legitimately move up to top six or play strong in the bottom six. Not a fan of the 4 mIll for him, but I like him way more than Eller.