Subban traded to Nashville

dlbalr

Just heard Derrick Willis on the fan in Calgary, and they were interviewing the predators play by play announcer or colour man (something Weber).

Willis used to be the bulldogs play by play a communications guy and said that when subban was with the bulldogs, part of his role was to provide guidance to subban on dealing with media, what to say how much act (a Hi communications guy role, not play-by-play role).

He said the habs were concerned about Subban's off the ice activities and focus and wanted him to focus on his play. He asked the Nashville guy (weber), if this was a concern for the predators. Willis answered no and that the predators liked subban just the way he is and want him to himself.

He also added that Poile feels that he is getting a very mature player in Subban and that Poile feels that Subban has been a mature player for the past couple of years. Quite different from the tightass habs mgmt.

He also said that he can see Weber fitting in with a conservative coach like MT, while Subban is exactly what an attacking coach like laviolette wants.

I wish we could have just traded the damn coaches. We probably be a hell of a better team.

Guest Stogey24

Nashville has a track record of taking on "problem players" though( I use that term loosely). Ribeiro, Neal, Johanssen, Radulov, and apparently Subban, have all had some type issue in the dressing room.

There's no reason why the trade can't be beneficial to both teams. Every team has a different situation, a different roster, different goals and needs. Trades are made with the intention of helping both sides out, and usually do. In some cases to help the players involved as well. Don't know that either player in this deal was looking to move, but the trade certainly will shake both out of any comfort zone they may have slipped into after a decade or more with the same organization. Both have something to prove now.

Everyone seems fixated on "better player" and "lesser player", or "winner" and "loser". Don't think that is how the hockey execs look at it. No one is trying to scam their colleagues in the industry. It can take many years to assess which side received maximum benefit, particularly when veteran players are traded for younger players or draft picks. It takes so long and involves so many variables it isn't even worth tracking in most cases. There is strong chance that both Weber and Subban will be traded again before their NHL careers are done, so then you have to track whoever they were traded for... yada yada....

The trade is done, nothing will undo it regardless of how much everyone complains. Accept it and move on.

• Upvote 1

The trade is done, nothing will undo it regardless of how much everyone complains. Accept it and move on.

This is a hockey message board. We talk about moves that the Habs make. If you don't understand that concept and want people to just accept things and move on, then this will be a very dead board.

Thats fine though, no one will miss your contributions if you move on.

• Upvote 1

Ya it's a tough pill to swallow. Over all, I would say that this team has improved with the switch of Eller and Shaw, and the signing of Radulov, but I can't help but think of how much better it would be with Subban. MT better send the whole team and MT to jelly school so this never happens again. I can't see another talent depart because the team is jelly. Mmmkay

Well, I think you can "talk about moves" without weeping, wailing, beating breast, and tearing out hair. Which is pretty much all I've seen here. Along with outright rejection of anyone who offers a contrary viewpoint.

• Upvote 1

I lost some respect for Gallagher and today's players in general after reading the Gallagher interview about Marchand. I get the two played together for team canada at the world championships, but hate him frantanizing with a hated bruin like that. I get his relationship with lucic - it predates him joining the Habs. But getting chummy with a little weasely runt like Marchand...

I miss the stories of past generations of players who wouldn't even talk with the hated enemy. I remember reading an article about Ferguson, who walked out of a restaurant and left his meal because he didn't want to be in the presence of the hated leafs. I think the Montreal-Boston rivalry is the last real true hate rivalry in the NHL. If our guys have to play with their scum in tournaments, it should be treated as a necessary evil.

It's also why I wanted nothing to with Lucic the barbarian as a UFA.

I lost some respect for Gallagher and today's players in general after reading the Gallagher interview about Marchand. I get the two played together for team canada at the world championships, but hate him frantanizing with a hated bruin like that. I get his relationship with lucic - it predates him joining the Habs. But getting chummy with a little weasely runt like Marchand...

I miss the stories of past generations of players who wouldn't even talk with the hated enemy. I remember reading an article about Ferguson, who walked out of a restaurant and left his meal because he didn't want to be in the presence of the hated leafs. I think the Montreal-Boston rivalry is the last real true hate rivalry in the NHL. If our guys have to play with their scum in tournaments, it should be treated as a necessary evil.

I guess you didn't like it when Gordie Howe would warn Jean Beliveau to get his head up before a check because he respected him so much? I mean, it was Gordie Howe, the guy who used to elbow everyone in the face and play like a barbarian that's forgotten because he was so skilled.

I don't see Montreal and Detroit having the same HATE rivalry back with the extended history Bruins-Habs have. Howe and Richard hated each and feuded long after they stopped playing, but I think that was more jealousy on the Richard's part. Howe and believable had a mutual respect, but they didn't publicize their friendship. There was only a 4 or 5 year period of a wings-Habs rivalry and than the wings basically sucked. The leafs rivalry was longer, until they started sucking. But because of the Montreal-Toronto city historic rivalry that rivalry lived on.

But the Habs-Bruins has gone on for half a century. The only other HATE rivalries like Habs-Bruins was Montreal-Quebec and Edmonton-Calgary, but that rivalry didn't have the same staying power as Habs-Bruins. Pens-flyers, Rangers-flyers have a rivalry, but again it isn't like the Habs-Bruins. Hell even Yankees-red sox doesn't have the staying power in terms of hate and nastiness as the Habs-Bruins.

Howe's style was common in his era and he took on all comers - even when he was an old man. He wasn't gutless like lucic, who would turtle if he actually had to deal with someone his size or bigger.

I guess you didn't like it when Gordie Howe would warn Jean Beliveau to get his head up before a check because he respected him so much? I mean, it was Gordie Howe, the guy who used to elbow everyone in the face and play like a barbarian that's forgotten because he was so skilled.

Well, I think you can "talk about moves" without weeping, wailing, beating breast, and tearing out hair. Which is pretty much all I've seen here. Along with outright rejection of anyone who offers a contrary viewpoint.

I haven't seen anyone weeping or wailing in this thread.

You either have a pretty vivid imagination....

Or now you realize the stupidity of your earlier post telling people to stop talking about the trade and are trying to cover it up with a lame excuse and more stupidity.

I'm guessing its actually the latter.

Habs29, you're the king. I love your pugilistic attitude (except when it rebounds against me, of course :nuts: ). But I think your nostalgia for the hate-filled days of yore is a bit much...Gallagher is a pro who will battle Marchand, Lucic, etc., tooth and nail on the ice. (In fact, those guys probably expect no less - it's about respect more than hate these days). It's that battle that matters, not how they feel about each other once the game is over. Subban absolutely destroyed Marchand with one of the best open-ice hits from a Hab in living memory. Yet apparently they get along off the ice. All I care about was that I got to see that POS Marchand wobbling back to the bench after PK stapled him. Doesn't matter to me if PK texted him later to ask how he was feeling.

This is a hockey message board. We talk about moves that the Habs make. If you don't understand that concept and want people to just accept things and move on, then this will be a very dead board.

Thats fine though, no one will miss your contributions if you move on.

Having a tough day Commie? Kind of rude.

;)

Habs29, you're the king. I love your pugilistic attitude (except when it rebounds against me, of course :nuts: ). But I think your nostalgia for the hate-filled days of yore is a bit much...Gallagher is a pro who will battle Marchand, Lucic, etc., tooth and nail on the ice. (In fact, those guys probably expect no less - it's about respect more than hate these days). It's that battle that matters, not how they feel about each other once the game is over. Subban absolutely destroyed Marchand with one of the best open-ice hits from a Hab in living memory. Yet apparently they get along off the ice. All I care about was that I got to see that POS Marchand wobbling back to the bench after PK stapled him. Doesn't matter to me if PK texted him later to ask how he was feeling.

As pissed as I still am about the trade, I'm happy for PK...he'll finally be playing for a coach that isn't a wet blanket in an organizaton that won't resent him for not turning into a boring robot. Check out what David Poile recently said:

Predators general manager David Poile sounds as if he would like Subban just to be himself.

"I guess sometimes ... you want everybody to sort of march to the same beat," Poile told the newspaper. "We don't want that. We can't win with 20 players that are exactly the same, either skill-wise or personality-wise. I want different types of players and I want different personalities. I traded for P.K. Subban, the player and the person. I could say there's going to be things that we're going to find out about him as a player that he can or can't do or other things that will come up over time, but I don't want him to change. We want different players."

I haven't seen anyone weeping or wailing in this thread.

There has been way way over the top reaction to the trade and constant and very loud complaining about how bad it is. Call it what you want.

There has been way way over the top reaction to the trade and constant and very loud complaining about how bad it is. Call it what you want.

It hasn't nearly been as over the top as this trade warrants it to be.

Yep and we have general bolkhalter and commandant klink running the show wanting everyone goose step to their incompetent tune.

As pissed as I still am about the trade, I'm happy for PK...he'll finally be playing for a coach that isn't a wet blanket in an organizaton that won't resent him for not turning into a boring robot. Check out what David Poile recently said:

Predators general manager David Poile sounds as if he would like Subban just to be himself.

"I guess sometimes ... you want everybody to sort of march to the same beat," Poile told the newspaper. "We don't want that. We can't win with 20 players that are exactly the same, either skill-wise or personality-wise. I want different types of players and I want different personalities. I traded for P.K. Subban, the player and the person. I could say there's going to be things that we're going to find out about him as a player that he can or can't do or other things that will come up over time, but I don't want him to change. We want different players."