Habs qualify Subban, Eller, Nattinen; release White, Czarnik, Delmas

dlbalr

Guest Stogey24

I'd rather see him hit 80+ points after he signs a new contract, and to keep it under 50 before then. :P

I agree, but he's basically getting a bridge contract either way.

No one knows except the man himself, but I don't think Galchenyuk is under an inordinate amount of pressure. He's not like Price, who was hailed as The Saviour from day one (and it really says a lot about Price's character that he didn't just survive that, but triumphed over it); nor like Subban, who was an instant lightning-rod for controversy and booing in opposition rinks; nor like a Lafleur (or, more bathetically, Ribeiro or Latendresse) who had to bear the burden of being expected to become French Canadian stars playing for the Montreal Canadiens. Fortunately, the team has been competitive since he and Gallagher arrived; unlike some high-profile Habs' prospects of the past, he is quite well surrounded with more experienced and/or higher-profile players who will take on most of the responsibility for team performance. In short, for once the Habs have a potential star in precisely the right kind of environment. He can develop at his own pace - the team doesn't need him to suddenly explode. All he has to do is concentrate on improving. You can't ask for better.

with Galchenyuk and Gallagher in the final year of their respective contracts, see if they see much pp time this season...

They will both receive lots either on PP1 or PP2. For Gallagher it depends on if Parenteau displaces him as the top right winger on the Pacioretty line. For Galchenyuk he's behind Pacioretty on the PP depth chart but he will still get time on the powerplay for sure.

No one can seriously suggest coachs will shift players icetime, depending on their contract status?

But hope Eller gets more of a shot with a bit more PP time.

If Gallagher/Galchenyuk can put up 100points this year, I don't think will cause Bergevin/Therrien much distress and they both would prefer that, to 25 point seasons for either.

DON is right. Coaches do not make in-game decisions based on contract status, they make decisions based on the goal of winning. Sure it's a "business," but a coach is in the business of not getting fired, and any smart coach will recognize that winning is his ticket to staying employed. That's why a guy like The Genius will lean on a Bouillon over a Beaulieu or Tinordi, regardless of what might serve the organization in the longer run.

The playing of rookies vs old vets is a tough choice. Old guys don't get rattled (as much) and tend to be more consistent; whereas kids are inconsistent and have game changing 'brain-cramps', when the stuff that works in CHL/AHL, dosent quite work against NHLers.

But, the kids need some 'tough-love' and to be allowed to struggle some most would agree, so is a tough call which to do and when. On crappy teams is easy to just give a kid 18+minutes and let him make mistakes, but on a playoff team different story.

double edged sword..on one hand you've got to feed the rookies to the wolves and handle the repercussions..on the other you're trying to win games and the vet may have more patience handling certain situations. therrien does love his vets, but at some point you have to say f-it and give the kids their big break

The playing of rookies vs old vets is a tough choice. Old guys don't get rattled (as much) and tend to be more consistent; whereas kids are inconsistent and have game changing 'brain-cramps', when the stuff that works in CHL/AHL, dosent quite work against NHLers.

But, the kids need some 'tough-love' and to be allowed to struggle some most would agree, so is a tough call which to do and when. On crappy teams is easy to just give a kid 18+minutes and let him make mistakes, but on a playoff team different story.

I think somone gave pk his chance, as well as Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Now we have new guys who need a shot, they will get it. Tinordi and beaulieu will get their shot some how someway.

I think somone gave pk his chance, as well as Gallagher and Galchenyuk. Now we have new guys who need a shot, they will get it. Tinordi and beaulieu will get their shot some how someway.

PK and the Gal(l)ys got their chance because they forced the coach's hand: they earned it by superior play that convinced the coach that their pluses outweighed their negatives, here and now. Which is as it should be. IF Beaulieu and Tinordi do the same, they too will get their shots. Too many fans want young players to just be handed ice time, PP time, etc., etc., without earning it - as if wanting a guy to be better than some mediocre veteran is the same as his actually being better.

PK and the Gally's got a shot, but you could argue that they were underutilized - particularily Galchenyuk and Subban. Why Subban isn't getting PK time and Galchenyuk more PP time is beyond me.

A coaches job is also to develop young players. I really haven't seen MT or the coaches in Hamilton improve the play of prospects. If you recall when Maxpac went to the dogs a few years ago he raved about the coaching that helped him improve.

The only young players that hVe succeeded under MT are ones who didn't really need him. Those that made it (i.e. Bournival) really didn't improve.

It's even been worse for those in Hamilton. Seems that the prospects that were sent down were actually worse in the AHL.

PK and the Gal(l)ys got their chance because they forced the coach's hand: they earned it by superior play that convinced the coach that their pluses outweighed their negatives, here and now. Which is as it should be. IF Beaulieu and Tinordi do the same, they too will get their shots. Too many fans want young players to just be handed ice time, PP time, etc., etc., without earning it - as if wanting a guy to be better than some mediocre veteran is the same as his actually being better.

I think we can all agree that the Canadiens appear to be heading in the right direction under MB. However a beacon for me, a signpost if you will, is that your prospects have a healthy run in the playoffs on an annul basis. To me that would be an indication of a bright and solid future for our organization. Succinctly put, success from top to bottom.

Gallagher was a healthy scratch opening night 2012.

new topic:

how will the atlantic division teams finish in 2015? with all their signings/trades and goaltender status,has tampa bay become an instant favorite? does boston have enough defensively to stay at the top? can mtl get some consistent scoring from the forwards to come out of the division again?

new topic:

how will the atlantic division teams finish in 2015? with all their signings/trades and goaltender status,has tampa bay become an instant favorite? does boston have enough defensively to stay at the top? can mtl get some consistent scoring from the forwards to come out of the division again?

Boston-108

Montreal-102

Detroit-98

Florida-94

Tampa-89

Toronto-Who cares

Ottawa-Who cares

Buffalo-Have fun Gio

Toronto is just a mess. They haven't improved and their defense has gotten worse. Tampa Bay falls due to sophomore slumps, Ben Bishop regressing to the mean and the fact that Boyle, Stralman and Callahan aren't that good. Florida comes together with NHL quality players, goaltending and coaching.

Pittsburgh, Columbus, New York and New Jersey finish in that order. Habs finish third/second and I get to see three playoff games for the price of one October game in the Bell Centre.

new topic:

Top Three won't change. Boston, Montreal and Tampa might not place 1/2/3 but I don't see anyone supplanting them.

Ottawa won't have any turnaround despite being at one point an advanced statistic darling. People were predicting them to win the Cup or at least the east last year due to their possession and shot differential. No lie.

Toronto is still extremely flawed and now weaker on defence. That said, Toronto is still closer to being a playoff team than Ottawa, Florida or Buffalo.

Florida is a crud team, same with Buffalo.

Detroit will be a wildcard favourite but I feel there's a better shot at five Metro teams making it than a 4/4 split again. All of the teams that had more than 10 OTLs I feel had inflated team success.

Top Three won't change. Boston, Montreal and Tampa might not place 1/2/3 but I don't see anyone supplanting them.

Ottawa won't have any turnaround despite being at one point an advanced statistic darling. People were predicting them to win the Cup or at least the east last year due to their possession and shot differential. No lie.

Toronto is still extremely flawed and now weaker on defence. That said, Toronto is still closer to being a playoff team than Ottawa, Florida or Buffalo.

Florida is a crud team, same with Buffalo.

Detroit will be a wildcard favourite but I feel there's a better shot at five Metro teams making it than a 4/4 split again. All of the teams that had more than 10 OTLs I feel had inflated team success.

Florida has an excellent chance at improving beyond "crud." Their sv% from their goalies were .909 for 40 games, .896 for 17 games, .874! For 12 games then Bob Lu posted a .924 in 14 games. They also added Al Montoya who has a career sv% of .910. They're going to pick up 6-10 wins on goaltending alone.

Their fa acquisitions will add about thirty goals. I see them as a playoff team. They finally have an NHLer at every position.

They were near .500 after Luongo was traded at the deadline, no small feat for a #1 overall pick.

• 2 weeks later...