Brodeur would consider a #2 job with Montreal

ICEWATER77

The report says that Brodeur would listen if the Habs approached him with an offer to backup Price. Nowhere does it say that the Habs are trying to sign Brodeur.

"If the Canadiens made me an offer, it goes without saying that I would listen to what they have to offer me," Brodeur said, according to the QMI Agency.

Brodeur, a Montreal native, told Northjersey.com in June that the Canadiens were "not too much on my radar." It is not believed the Canadiens have negotiated with Brodeur.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=729656&navid=nhl:topheads

Cool. Very interesting, but how bad is he now, can he be better option than the 2 we have for 15-20 games (not likely eh)?

(he just killed the Habs for so damn long, but always liked him as a player)

Cool. Very interesting, but how bad is he now, can he be better option than the 2 we have for 15-20 games (not likely eh)?

(he just killed the Habs for so damn long, but always liked him as a player)

I wouldn't want him over what the Habs have. Not only would Brodeur cost more (despite having a below average SV% in four straight years), the inevitable media-fabricated controversy at the first moment Price has a rough stretch of games would likely be problematic as well. I also have doubts about his willingness to be a backup - he wasn't willing last year and it probably cost New Jersey a playoff spot.

"Brodeur would consider a #2 job in Montreal"

Ya but not really.

Brodeur: "Heyyyyyy Pricer! Happy to be your backup, ol' buddy ol' pal. Whoa, hey, careful of that slippery floor there. It would be terrible if you fell and had an accident... I SAID FELL AND HAD AN ACCIDENT... Dammit Bourque that was your cue to trip him"

Bourque: *drools*

Brodeur: "F*ck!"

fin

• Upvote 1

Guest Stogey24

I wouldn't want him over what the Habs have. Not only would Brodeur cost more (despite having a below average SV% in four straight years), the inevitable media-fabricated controversy at the first moment Price has a rough stretch of games would likely be problematic as well. I also have doubts about his willingness to be a backup - he wasn't willing last year and it probably cost New Jersey a playoff spot.

Great point. The media would have a hay-day the minute Price has a rough game. Tokarski is going to get the backup job and Budaj is going to be traded:p

It could and should work out wonderfully, with Brodeur getting a career send-off playing 20-odd games in his hometown, bringing his Cup experience and veteran presence to the dressing room, and maybe giving Price a senior colleague with whom he can commiserate and from whom he can learn a thing or two.

Unfortunately, dlbalr's observations about the idiot Montreal media combined with Marty's bloated ego and over-estimation of his own abilities at this juncture, are all too prescient. Stupidity will conspire to f*ck up what should be a great little story.

I kinda respect what Brodeur is doing (As crazy as that sounds), and think he has earned the right to drag this on as long as he wants. It might look like he is tarnishing his legacy now, but when we look back on Brodeur's glorious career after he finally does retire this will be the last thing on our minds.

With that in mind I wouldn't mind seeing him out there for one more season, but I don't think he would be a good fit for the Habs. Signing Marty would be a token move considering the current goaltending situation, unless of course two guys were to go down with serious injuries during the pre-season.

Marty's days have come and gone, he is hanging on and not admitting that it is over. You made a lot of money, give it up now, and no the Habs are not interested in having you sit on the bench for them.

as if we don't already have a goaltending issue between budaj and tokarski. marty's been trying to sign anywhere he can get in 25-30 games. he's more likely to play 15..he would never sit quietly. and with all that downtime, everyone would have to hide the babysitters haha jk, kinda

Yes.

Love and enjoy all your posts MOLG butI have to disagree with this one.

As great as Tokarski was throughout the series and as much as he kept us in games 3 through 6, I still believe he indirectly cost us game 2.

Don't get me wrong...he was good enough to help the team win, however an experienced, ex-all world goaltender (even at his age) who has succeeded in every high leverage situation possible would have given the team the confidence and reassurance needed in order to believe that this series was still theirs to lose, even after the loss of Price.

Add to that the fact that Brodeur would have gotten in the minds of the Rangers (something he's done throughout his career) and you can see where I'm coming from.

So let me get this straigt. Someone asks Marty would you consider being a backup in Montreal? He says yes and this becomes a news story? He would have said yes to the other 29 teams as well, he wants to play another year. A stupid question to ask a guy with no contract. What did you think he would say? No? Great Pumkin I can't wait till there are some real stories to talk about. Let's get back to planning the parade route for crying out loud.

What's really nauseating is the thought that the Habs can't just come out and say, 'no, we have no interest in Martin Brodeur' even if it's true. The PR blowback would be horrible. Instead we'll likely see the same kind of BS we got about Lecavalier, 'oh yes, we're very interested if the deal works for us, la la la la' when in fact they had ZERO interest in that bum. It's all about neutering the baying dogs of the French press.

That would make them beagles, no?

Slavering bloodhounds, more likely...

Basset hounds also bay like crazy, but they're too darned goofy-looking to convey the desired meaning here :wacko: