Gorges dealt to Buffalo

dlbalr

Something else is on the way, unless we just severely downgraded....

I gotta agree with ya Lovett's.

At the end of the day I think it was mostly Cap, and a tough judgment call. I think the main deal with Josh was with Toronto and Josh says he was too much in shock to even consider the much malignable Leafs. The Buffalo deal was perhaps what was left.

http://sabres.nhl.co...vid=DL|BUF|home

Tell Josh how you feel.

https://twitter.com/jjgorges

Subban should get an "A," but will old schoolies Genius and Zoot Suit be able to bring themselves to do it? That's the question.

Pleks for the "C," no doubt in my mind.

I sure agree with you on Pleks. What a terrific Hab. Absolute leader.

Gorges is gone, great guy but business is business. Gilbert is RHD, and we get him and Weaver now signed for about the same money as Josh Gorges got...and we get a 2nd rounder. No brainer it's a good move.

Yeah, but he was a minus with Minny too.

I don't know much about Gilbert and I know a lot about Gorges. It boils down to whether we just weakened ourselves defensively. Otherwise put: would you trade Gorges for Gilbert, a 2nd-rounder, and about $1 mil in cap savings?

(When you put it that way...probably! Nonetheless, it's not clear that this makes us a better team right now).

And that $1M in savings went to Weaver. MB is trying to maximize his $4M cap hit in Gorges with two bodies who bring the same type of game. Plus, he wants to give a chance to one of Beaulieu/Tinordi to make the lineup. I don't see this as a bad thing. Gilbert and Weaver are stop-gaps until Beaulieu/Tinordi are really. Which my guess both will be in 2016.
  • Upvote 1

And that $1M in savings went to Weaver. MB is trying to maximize his $4M cap hit in Gorges with two bodies who bring the same type of game. Plus, he wants to give a chance to one of Beaulieu/Tinordi to make the lineup. I don't see this as a bad thing. Gilbert and Weaver are stop-gaps until Beaulieu/Tinordi are really. Which my guess both will be in 2016.

When you look at the big picture - purge a dubious contract, add a 2nd-round pick, create space for youth to develop while protecting yourself from collapse via patch-up signings - it does make sense. My concern is just that this hurts us significantly on the back end in the short term.

There is no top 4 D UFA left that is worth the money they command on the market.... Trade to improve the top 4? Like Don said, can never have too many D.

Yeah. Some fans seem to be confusing the longstanding need for an upgrade on Gorges with shipping Gorges out, period. The latter was never a guarantee of the former, as the Gilbert signing appears to prove this.

There has got to be more coming. Otherwise, this is a strict downgrade.

I'm afraid that this seems to be IT!?!?!

There has got to be more coming. Otherwise, this is a strict downgrade.

I wouldn't expect anything more on the defence...unless they sign a cheap veteran #7.

Markov-Subban

Emelin-Gilbert

Rookie-Weaver

Cheap veteran

Bergevin just said that the rumour about Gorges being dealt to the Leafs did NOT come out of the habs organization.

This is terrible. I had hoped that we could package Gorges for a roster player. A 2nd in two years? Is it because the bridge was burnt when it went public? I hate this.

Gorges said yesterday that Bergevin told him they were moving him to save cap space so it's not that surprising that they got a pick back and thus the full $3.9 M in cap space. You could probably combine the two moves, Gorges for MIN 2nd 2016 and Gilbert; the money freed up by the trade made the room for Gilbert.

Why do people on here keep forgetting that Jared Tinordi is NHL ready...and Beaulieu is good for at least 40 games? Cya gorges! Great move MB!!! Weaver and Gilbert with a growing defensive core! :canada:

What did you think Gorges would bring, a 1st round pick? Kadri? Maybe could of been a prospect but 2nd is fine.

Doesn't matter if pick is next year or 2018 draft, just an asset.

Gilbert is bigger, better with puck, RH and freed up cap/roster spot on defense for last 2 years of Gorges contract.

The move is not a downgrade, the 2nd can become a trade deadline chip, much like our 2nd was in acquiring Vanek. Gilbert is a RH puck moving d-man that can help this quick transition team, transition, Georges was not. Gilbert is also adding more size at 6'3, and stylistically makes a great pair with Emelin, allowing us to have 2 pairings that are capable of moving the puck well. Weaver was excellent as our bottom pairing guy, and if one or two of the kids push hard enough he could become our 6th to 7th much like Boullion was.

All of this was done for a few hundred K more than having Georges alone, for the first time in I don't know how long, we actually have 3 Right handed d-men, a solid idea of what the Defense is going to look like this year and where it is heading with Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn all scratching at the door for a chance at full time NHL duty.

I'm surprised Gorges even had the Laffs on his NTC. You would think most players would exclude boston, Toronto and Ottawa, thinking that there is no way there were going to get traded there.

The move is not a downgrade, the 2nd can become a trade deadline chip, much like our 2nd was in acquiring Vanek. Gilbert is a RH puck moving d-man that can help this quick transition team, transition, Georges was not. Gilbert is also adding more size at 6'3, and stylistically makes a great pair with Emelin, allowing us to have 2 pairings that are capable of moving the puck well. Weaver was excellent as our bottom pairing guy, and if one or two of the kids push hard enough he could become our 6th to 7th much like Boullion was.

All of this was done for a few hundred K more than having Georges alone, for the first time in I don't know how long, we actually have 3 Right handed d-men, a solid idea of what the Defense is going to look like this year and where it is heading with Tinordi, Beaulieu and Pateryn all scratching at the door for a chance at full time NHL duty.

I like the way you think Link!

Before people get too misty eyed over Gorges refusing to go to Toronto, keep in mind it probably meant that our return was diminished. His selfish refusal (which he had a contractual right to make) was at the teams expense. He wasn't doing us a favor.

Before people get too misty eyed over Gorges refusing to go to Toronto, keep in mind it probably meant that our return was diminished. His selfish refusal (which he had a contractual right to make) was at the teams expense. He wasn't doing us a favor.

Can you actually blame the guy for NOT wanting to go play for the Evil Leafs??? I certainly don't!