Carey Price..Hart Trophy?

ICEWATER77

The league clearly states that the Hart Trophy is any player who is the most valuable to their team, correct? Carey Price has been the main man in Mtl. Without CP's contribution thus far, we're a playoff bubble team. Take Nash's goals away from the Rangers and they're depth keeps them in contention. Take away Rinne, and as we all seen last night, the Preds are still very good. Voracek outta Philly, and well they still stink. Tavares is huge on Long Island, Toews in Chicago, Getzlaf is a horse in Anaheim, but are any of them as impactful to their teams success as Price? Maybe not

MVP=Phil Kessel

Look at how they play when he's in a drought.

:blush: Kessel is one of the main contributors to the drought. (heard tonight leafs worst run in 25 years)

Now if he was not playing and they had their worst run in 25 years that would be different. Could say look how bad they are without him, instead its look how bad they are WITH him. :rofl:

1.Price is a very good candidate. Adds 20 points to habs by all star break alone.

2.Giordano absolutely dynamite for Flames, Norris leader as well.

3.Patrick Kane is quietly within reach of winning a scoring race. But he does have quiet the surrounding cast.

4.Rinne on Nashville will get consideration, rightfully so.

5.Weber a beast.

6.Hutchison in Winnipeg, they are raving that without him Jets not in play off contention.

7.Getzlaf a long shot as over all team very strong.

8.Nash only if Rangers end up first in east and he scores 50.

9. Markov cause I love the guy and we would be hurting without him....ditto PK.

10. Giroux and Volchek could saw trophy in half.

Roy never was the reason for us making the playoffs. The Habs in Roy's time for playoff teams that won Jennings trophy's, with both goalies having good numbers.

Ditto for his time in Colorado.

Roy's legend was made by his playoff performances, where he was clearly the MVP.

The Hart is for regular season performance. Hasek and Theodore got their teams into the playoffs and made them much better than they were with any other goalie. Price is havin that type of year.

So Patrick Roy shoulda won MVP trophies as a Hab? He didn't and most are fine with that arnt they?

A Vezina type first 1/2 of season for sure, not that he would even be a lock for that.

But MVP hmmm seems a stretch, see how next 3 months play out.

I don't think he wins either - just think he is in the contention for both Hart and Vezina. I think the Vezina depends on how long Rinne is out. If Rinne doesn't miss too many games, he's a lock for the Vezina - unless Price has even better numbers in the 2nd half.

Agree, but which goalie is better, I couldn't tell you? Don't watch Nashville games.

But I think NHL just not big on having goalie win MVP (same as MLB with pitchers, happens but has to extraordinary season), whereas a Tavares moving into Brooklyn on new team next fall, as a MVP they could promote the crap out of him (Price is superstar in Montreal already).

I think this year is a good year for a goalie to win. Crosby isn't having a usual Crosby year. Vorachek plays for a crappy team. No clear dominant player.

Agree, but which goalie is better, I couldn't tell you? Don't watch Nashville games.

But I think NHL just not big on having goalie win MVP (same as MLB with pitchers, happens but has to extraordinary season), whereas a Tavares moving into Brooklyn on new team next fall, as a MVP they could promote the crap out of him (Price is superstar in Montreal already).

well whats the thred? are you asking if "carey price" is worthy of the hart trophy..................or who will the NHL and their marketing team will give it too?

If they were handing it out at the all star break for the first 45 games...Carey Price wins hands down as THE mvp to his team.

Price is easily the MVP of first half is he? Really, coming from any HabFan might be just a little biased.

When is debatable that he is even be the best goalie in first 1/2, Duckfans might say Getzlaf is MVP or Hawk fans may say same about Kane.

To proclaim he is heads and shoulders above all, is a stretch?

He may win it, but I wouldn't lay down much $ on that bet.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think MaxPac is almost as important to the team as Price. I agree that Price is the leader of the club and that the whole team psyche is built on his excellence; but goals have to come from someplace, and it seems to me that MaxPac is that absolute key to our team's offensive production on any given night. Maybe I'm nuts.

It's a bit analogous to Kirk Muller on the 1993 team. Yes, Roy was the Conne Smythe winner and rightly so. But that team would not have won the Cup without Muller's key goals and his overall on-ice generalship. He was a much closer runner-up than most people recognized.

I'll probably get flamed for this, but I think MaxPac is almost as important to the team as Price. I agree that Price is the leader of the club and that the whole team psyche is built on his excellence; but goals have to come from someplace, and it seems to me that MaxPac is that absolute key to our team's offensive production on any given night. Maybe I'm nuts.

It's a bit analogous to Kirk Muller on the 1993 team. Yes, Roy was the Conne Smythe winner and rightly so. But that team would not have won the Cup without Muller's key goals and his overall on-ice generalship. He was a much closer runner-up than most people recognized.

That's why we call it a team. No flaming needed.

Only once has a goalie gotten a team to the Cup finals on just his back and that's Dominik Hasek. When you are relying on Miroslav Satan, Mike Peca and Stu Barnes to score your goals, the only way you are winning si your goalie.

The 93 Cup, Montreal had better depth than most teams that year. They weren't as heavily stacked at the top like Pittsburgh, Chicago and Buffalo but Damphousse, Muller and Bellows were all putting the puck in the net with a cast including Mike Keane, John Leclair, Denis Savard, Steph Lebeau and Guy Carbonneau rounding out the top nine. Then you had a young, underrated defence that kept putting up extremely crucial points. People tend to forget that back in 1994, the Detroit Red Wings almost traded Steve Yzerman to the Canadiens for Mathieu Schneider and a first round pick. That's how high teams were on Schneider, not to mention Eric Desjardins as a top D.

Back to 2015. Yeah, Pacioretty is huge for us. He is a beast at home for us in getting points on the board (he's sixth in the league for home points). I'd say though that if anyone was second place to Price, it'd be PK Subban. He leads our transition, he leads our back-end and for a team that's big on positioning and structure, he's usually the guy who lets it get set. Plekanec is big for the team as well in just shutting down top forwards in road games.

Without Subban or Pacioretty, Price would likely not be enough. But without Price, we're the Minnesota Wild of the east.

That's why we call it a team. No flaming needed.

Only once has a goalie gotten a team to the Cup finals on just his back and that's Dominik Hasek. When you are relying on Miroslav Satan, Mike Peca and Stu Barnes to score your goals, the only way you are winning si your goalie.

The 93 Cup, Montreal had better depth than most teams that year. They weren't as heavily stacked at the top like Pittsburgh, Chicago and Buffalo but Damphousse, Muller and Bellows were all putting the puck in the net with a cast including Mike Keane, John Leclair, Denis Savard, Steph Lebeau and Guy Carbonneau rounding out the top nine. Then you had a young, underrated defence that kept putting up extremely crucial points. People tend to forget that back in 1994, the Detroit Red Wings almost traded Steve Yzerman to the Canadiens for Mathieu Schneider and a first round pick. That's how high teams were on Schneider, not to mention Eric Desjardins as a top D.

Back to 2015. Yeah, Pacioretty is huge for us. He is a beast at home for us in getting points on the board (he's sixth in the league for home points). I'd say though that if anyone was second place to Price, it'd be PK Subban. He leads our transition, he leads our back-end and for a team that's big on positioning and structure, he's usually the guy who lets it get set. Plekanec is big for the team as well in just shutting down top forwards in road games.

Without Subban or Pacioretty, Price would likely not be enough. But without Price, we're the Minnesota Wild of the east.

Yes, good post. It's the presence of Patches and Subban in particular that makes it hard for me to just swallow this "the Habs would be nothing without Price" argument. A top-5 NHL defenceman who can break a game open at any moment; and a top NHL scoring W who just pumps in goals night after night - those are two pretty outstanding core pieces, in addition to #31. That said, I'm taking nothing away from Price's superb play or his role as lynchpin of the team.

All the Carey Price talk in the media is becoming tiresome.

I can't open an article without reading "without Carey Price...."

This is becoming cliche. Much like reading that Gabriel Landeskog is "mature."

Hmm? Let's look at some stats:

2007-2008 41 GP---2.56---.920 (Habs 104 pts/lose to Philly)

2008-2009 52--2.82--.905 (Habs 93 points/swept in first round)

2009-2010 41--2.77--.912 (8th place/conference finals)

2010-2011 72--2.35--.923 (Price assumes starting role, Habs get bounced in the first round. Best season to date for Price)

2011-2012 65--2.43--..916 (Habs come in 27th place)

2012-2013 39--2.59--.905 (Price sucks the bag, the Ottawa debacle happens, Pierre Groulx gets fired)

2013-2014 59--2.32--.927 (Price's best season. Steals the show vs the Bruins. Get injured. Habs lose 3 out of 5 games Tokarski plays)

2014-2015 36--2.15--.929 (Halfway through, Price is posting Vezina quality numbers after the team has a rough start. If Therrien pulls him in the early season blowouts, these numbers look even better)

What's my inference from all this? That the difference in a Vezina quality season from Price and merely a top-5/top-10 season from Price is home ice advantage in the playoffs. Don't believe the hype. Dustin Tokarski has a league average (.915) save percentage. Without Price, this team doesn't fall off and die. They merely aren't dominant.

Yes, good post. It's the presence of Patches and Subban in particular that makes it hard for me to just swallow this "the Habs would be nothing without Price" argument. A top-5 NHL defenceman who can break a game open at any moment; and a top NHL scoring W who just pumps in goals night after night - those are two pretty outstanding core pieces, in addition to #31. That said, I'm taking nothing away from Price's superb play or his role as lynchpin of the team.

To say that without Price the Habs would be nothing is an overblown exageration. However, they might not be a playoff team right now. The idea that Tokarski would have held us in so many games this year in the first 45 minutes of games where we slept?. I really like Toker but sir he is no Carey Price. We would have lost probably a minimum of 6 games that Carey bailed us out. And I think I am being conservative. So if we have 12 points less, thus we would have 49 and not be in the playoffs. We probably wouldn't be in the hunt for a wild card. 6 games guys. How many games did we come out and suck in the first to midway in the 2nd. We are very lucky to have Carey. This teams offensive stats do not support their results in the standings. Our top sniper is what 4oth in the league? Our defensive stats are pretty good which is a credit to the defence and Carey. I would not be too quick to denigrate the value of Carey Price. :habslogo:

On the flipside, if we didn't have Price, why are people going straight to us starting Tokarski? Habs are rarely without a great goalie in net. If we didn't have Price we'd have someone else in net that could win a lot of games. Probably not as good as Price though.

• Upvote 1

I would say Price would be an early favorite for mvp mid season. The teams possession stats and corsi, along with first period performances are Terrible. Price keeps them in and gives them a chance to win. My other candidate would be Mark Giordano. I realize they aren't a playoff team, but Calgary went from pure junk to in it every night.

To say that without Price the Habs would be nothing is an overblown exageration. However, they might not be a playoff team right now. The idea that Tokarski would have held us in so many games this year in the first 45 minutes of games where we slept?. I really like Toker but sir he is no Carey Price. We would have lost probably a minimum of 6 games that Carey bailed us out. And I think I am being conservative. So if we have 12 points less, thus we would have 49 and not be in the playoffs. We probably wouldn't be in the hunt for a wild card. 6 games guys. How many games did we come out and suck in the first to midway in the 2nd. We are very lucky to have Carey. This teams offensive stats do not support their results in the standings. Our top sniper is what 4oth in the league? Our defensive stats are pretty good which is a credit to the defence and Carey. I would not be too quick to denigrate the value of Carey Price. :habslogo:

This projection about being "without Price", is only valid baring an injury to Carey Price.

Cannot be used in a scenario where Price would not be part of the team. He would be replaced by another all-star goalie or medium goalie + real good firepower defence or offense.

Would Tokarski have to save us that much with an extra #1b dman or more offense ? Cannot know for sure.

Price is easily the MVP of first half is he? Really, coming from any HabFan might be just a little biased.

When is debatable that he is even be the best goalie in first 1/2, Duckfans might say Getzlaf is MVP or Hawk fans may say same about Kane.

To proclaim he is heads and shoulders above all, is a stretch?

He may win it, but I wouldn't lay down much $ on that bet.

Some guys are biased hab fans, and this sight has no shortage of them.......... i however am not being at all bias when i say that this season, at this point in the season if they were to hand out the trophy today Carey Price wins it. If you want to debate that, lets here the name of the player who you deem more worthy. Just curious.

I wouldn't necerssarily classify the Habs as "nothing" without Price. I said they'd more likely become a bubble playoff team. Just to clarify, a bubble team is anywhere from #7-#10. I'd say this seems realistic.

For sure it is realistic.

All the Carey Price talk in the media is becoming tiresome.

I can't open an article without reading "without Carey Price...."

This is becoming cliche. Much like reading that Gabriel Landeskog is "mature."

Hmm? Let's look at some stats:

2007-2008 41 GP---2.56---.920 (Habs 104 pts/lose to Philly)

2008-2009 52--2.82--.905 (Habs 93 points/swept in first round)

2009-2010 41--2.77--.912 (8th place/conference finals)

2010-2011 72--2.35--.923 (Price assumes starting role, Habs get bounced in the first round. Best season to date for Price)

2011-2012 65--2.43--..916 (Habs come in 27th place)

2012-2013 39--2.59--.905 (Price sucks the bag, the Ottawa debacle happens, Pierre Groulx gets fired)

2013-2014 59--2.32--.927 (Price's best season. Steals the show vs the Bruins. Get injured. Habs lose 3 out of 5 games Tokarski plays)

2014-2015 36--2.15--.929 (Halfway through, Price is posting Vezina quality numbers after the team has a rough start. If Therrien pulls him in the early season blowouts, these numbers look even better)

What's my inference from all this? That the difference in a Vezina quality season from Price and merely a top-5/top-10 season from Price is home ice advantage in the playoffs. Don't believe the hype. Dustin Tokarski has a league average (.915) save percentage. Without Price, this team doesn't fall off and die. They merely aren't dominant.

LOL ! keep talking you might even convince your self