Positioned for success for years to come

REV-G

Last year I started a thead listing reasons why I think we're going to be successful for years to come. I want to go a bit deeper and explain a few things we're doing, that others haven't, and how that has put us where we are while others are struggling.

Do you remember the words "draft smaft"? I believe it was Cliff Fletcher who was either the Leafs GM or President who said those words when he was asked by the media why he was trading away so many of their draft picks. Then when Brian Burke became their GM he regularly traded away their top draft picks and look at where the Leafs have been and where they are. Over the past 25 years it may be that Wendal Clarke may have been their one and only really successful draft pick. Today they have to dismantle and completely restock because their cupboard is bare.

In today's NHL I believe you are going to live or die with how you draft. In order to be able to either trade older players because you can no longer afford them in a cap world, or to be able to replace older players as they lose some speed or abilities with younger guys, you must have young, drafted, inexpensive players developing and ready to step in at every position. And we have been doing this for a few years now.

I'm not sure if it was Bob Gainey who brought in Trevor Timmons but I remember Gainey saying when he surprised everyone by drafting Carey Price, he simply drafted who his head scout told him to draft. If you look over the past 10 years, maybe not quite that long, but we now are seeing depth in our prospect pool at just about every position. And every year more are added. And it should just keep getting better and better.

But there's another factor. With all the young talent it gives us some pieces to use if we need to pick up some help. And with having young guys make the team it gives us years with guys on entry level contracts which also helps us with the cap, giving us some cash to pick up some bargains.

It also has helped us that Mark Bergevin has so far watched his cap numbers so carefully. When he moved Rene Bourque and Travis Moen it showed that he was looking to next years budget to be sure he had room to do what needed to be done.

I think in today's NHL, to be a contender, you must get players through the draft, through trades and also through free agent pick-ups. All three ways of getting players are very important. But the draft is the key. Mark Bergevin is able to get players all three ways because we have drafted so well and have developed our players. Many others haven't and are paying a big price.

I believe we are positioned for years to come to get stronger and stronger and get #25! We have paid great attention and put a lot of work into the draft, player development, and managing the cap. We should have great years ahead.

What do you think?

• Upvote 1

Last year I started a thead listing reasons why I think we're going to be successful for years to come. I want to go a bit deeper and explain a few things we're doing, that others haven't, and how that has put us where we are while others are struggling.

Do you remember the words "draft smaft"? I believe it was Cliff Fletcher who was either the Leafs GM or President who said those words when he was asked by the media why he was trading away so many of their draft picks. Then when Brian Burke became their GM he regularly traded away their top draft picks and look at where the Leafs have been and where they are. Over the past 25 years it may be that Wendal Clarke may have been their one and only really successful draft pick. Today they have to dismantle and completely restock because their cupboard is bare.

In today's NHL I believe you are going to live or die with how you draft. In order to be able to either trade older players because you can no longer afford them in a cap world, or to be able to replace older players as they lose some speed or abilities with younger guys, you must have young, drafted, inexpensive players developing and ready to step in at every position. And we have been doing this for a few years now.

I'm not sure if it was Bob Gainey who brought in Trevor Timmons but I remember Gainey saying when he surprised everyone by drafting Carey Price, he simply drafted who his head scout told him to draft. If you look over the past 10 years, maybe not quite that long, but we now are seeing depth in our prospect pool at just about every position. And every year more are added. And it should just keep getting better and better.

But there's another factor. With all the young talent it gives us some pieces to use if we need to pick up some help. And with having young guys make the team it gives us years with guys on entry level contracts which also helps us with the cap, giving us some cash to pick up some bargains.

It also has helped us that Mark Bergevin has so far watched his cap numbers so carefully. When he moved Rene Bourque and Travis Moen it showed that he was looking to next years budget to be sure he had room to do what needed to be done.

I think in today's NHL, to be a contender, you must get players through the draft, through trades and also through free agent pick-ups. All three ways of getting players are very important. But the draft is the key. Mark Bergevin is able to get players all three ways because we have drafted so well and have developed our players. Many others haven't and are paying a big price.

I believe we are positioned for years to come to get stronger and stronger and get #25! We have paid great attention and put a lot of work into the draft, player development, and managing the cap. We should have great years ahead.

What do you think?

Agreed.

Gainey actually made the final call on Price himself and added that he had "complete faith and confidence in his head scout." Bob also landed Pacs and Subban.

Drafting and developing your own prospects is the way to go. Adding pieces to that through trades and free agents is still a part of it. All the latest cup winners added players off other rosters. Gaborik/Williams-kings. Hossa-Hawks Carter/Richards-Kings Horton-Bruins.

Habs are set going forward like they have not been in years...............as are many other clubs. Building through draft and development of your own prospects is no secret. Habs have finally re joined some of the others who have been operating that way.

MB will never make a deal like the gomez one. He is working from the blue print used when he was an assistant in Chicago.

Team is near best in the League!

28th place team to what they have done over past three years is darn good and youth of team is very encouraging.

Are several nice draft picks in system, Bergevin seems happy resigning coaching staff and keeping salary cap relatively under control or improving it some..

Have arguably 2 of best position players in league in Price and Subban and just need a bit more offense up front and 'who knows' how far can get?

Great post REV-G!

I think now more than ever it all boils down to player assessment at every level, all the time... no more throwing money around with no results, Glen Sather like.

I also think a lot of the questions about Therrien's choices as coach, are also orders from headquarters to enable the best possible evaluation of the players we have as depth.

I agree, we are set up pretty damn good for years to come, and maybe Gainey can finally be remembered for his drafts of Subban and Price, instead of the Gomez trade.

Great post REV-G!

I think now more than ever it all boils down to player assessment at every level, all the time... no more throwing money around with no results, Glen Sather like.

I also think a lot of the questions about Therrien's choices as coach, are also orders from headquarters to enable the best possible evaluation of the players we have as depth.

I agree, we are set up pretty damn good for years to come, and maybe Gainey can finally be remembered for his drafts of Subban and Price, instead of the Gomez trade.

And acquiring Paceriotty.

Remembering Gainey? I disliked the Gomez deal as much as anybody, but it is not how this hab fan"remembers Bob Gainey" Everyone regardless of how smart, has "a worst moment" in their careers. I know I don't judge entire careers on a persons worst moment, and sure hope my career isn't.

Here is what I remember about Bob Gaineys career. He won and led Canadiens to six Stanley Cups as a player. Coached sixteenth place North Stars to game six of Stanley Cup final in his first season as a coach. Managed Stars to Stanley Cup finals twice. Winning in it all in 99. Hired Ken Hitchcock and Claude Julien to their first NHL jobs. Credited by Mike Modano for turning him into a hall of famer. Took a terrible Canadiens team that had missed the play offs four of the prior five seasons, and put them back in the play offs for four of the next five seasons. Traded away future star Macdonough for washed up Scott Gomez. Put the core of current Habs team together by trading for a Max Pacorietty, drafting PK Subban and Carey Price.

Watching PK dominate games, Pax fill the net, and Carey win games single handed gives fans hope for the 25th Stanley Cup.............and it will have Bob Gaineys finger prints all over it.

• Upvote 1

Yep. Bob made mistakes - a cataclysmic mistake in the case of McDonagh - but he built the foundation of a top team in the conference and that is indeed set up for success for years to come. I always said, the problem with the Gainey era was not drafting, it was player development. This problem seems to have been corrected in the Bergevin era, while the drafting remains strong.

We're an organization that understands the fundamentals of success in a cap system. That has made us rather unique among Canadian teams, who are always looking for quick fixes and caught on that treadmill of trying to make the playoffs year after year. (Alas, the Leafs finally seem to be figuring it out).

However, let's not be too triumphalist. The current team has three irreplaceable players: PK, Patches, and Price. A serious injury to any one of this Holy Trinity and suddenly we won't be talking about "success," we'll be talking about holding on by our collective fingernails. Interestingly, the apparent emergence of Beaulieu might make Subban less irreplaceable. We want to get to that point with Patches. (No one can replace Price, but that's true of any great player, which is what Carey has become). Better scoring depth up front is the last piece of the puzzle.

Remembering Gainey? I disliked the Gomez deal as much as anybody, but it is not how this hab fan"remembers Bob Gainey" Everyone regardless of how smart, has "a worst moment" in their careers. I know I don't judge entire careers on a persons worst moment, and sure hope my career isn't.

Here is what I remember about Bob Gaineys career. He won and led Canadiens to six Stanley Cups as a player. Coached sixteenth place North Stars to game six of Stanley Cup final in his first season as a coach. Managed Stars to Stanley Cup finals twice. Winning in it all in 99. Hired Ken Hitchcock and Claude Julien to their first NHL jobs. Credited by Mike Modano for turning him into a hall of famer. Took a terrible Canadiens team that had missed the play offs four of the prior five seasons, and put them back in the play offs for four of the next five seasons. Traded away future star Macdonough for washed up Scott Gomez. Put the core of current Habs team together by trading for a Max Pacorietty, drafting PK Subban and Carey Price.

Watching PK dominate games, Pax fill the net, and Carey win games single handed gives fans hope for the 25th Stanley Cup.............and it will have Bob Gaineys finger prints all over it.

Great post.

Reasons why they are positioned for success in the future:

Carey Price: 27

Max Pac: 26

PK Subban: 25

Alex Galchenyuk: 21

Brendan Gallagher: 22

Nathan Beaulieu: 22

Jarred Tinordi: 23

Jacob De La Rose: 19

Lars Eller: 25

Christian Thomas: 22

Michael Bournival: 22

Dale Weise: 26

Greg Pateryn: 24

Dustin Tokarski: 25

That's 14 players currently dressed for the 1st place Montreal Canadiens all under the age of 27. I don't think I need to elaborate.

I won't be shocked if a lot of Hab fans are happy and surprised with the hands Pelly has. He is gonna help the team, there's no doubt about it.

I won't be shocked if a lot of Hab fans are happy and surprised with the hands Pelly has. He is gonna help the team, there's no doubt about it.

He's coming at the right time. If people told you we just traded for one of Nathan Beaulieu's best hockey friends in October people would have been very cynical.

He's coming at the right time. If people told you we just traded for one of Nathan Beaulieu's best hockey friends in October people would have been very cynical.

Beaulieu, Smith-Pelly, Bournival and Gallagher all part of Team Canada 2012.

Beaulieu, Smith-Pelly, Bournival and Gallagher all part of Team Canada 2012.

Smith-Pelly was part of Team Canada that won a bronze medal at the 2012 World Junior Hockey Championship. Among his teammates at that tournament were current Canadiens’ Nathan Beaulieu, Brendan Gallagher and Michael Bournival.

“Our team was pretty tight that year,” Smith-Pelly said during a conference call a few hours after the trade was completed. “Me and Nate have kept in contact over the last three years and we talk on a regular basis. I haven’t talked to Gally or Bournival in a bit, but obviously I’m still friends with them. I heard from Nate today. We didn’t talk for too long, but he’s excited and I’m excited and happy to get a chance to play with all those guys again.”

Smith-Pelly also knows P.K. Subban.

“We don’t live too far from each other (in Toronto during the off-season) and growing up we played in the same rinks and I’m really good friends with his younger brother, Malcolm,” said Smith-Kelly, who played midget hockey for the Toronto Junior Canadiens in the Greater Toronto Hockey League. “I know (P.K.) a little bit and I’m looking forward to getting a chance to play with him.”

http://montrealgazette.com/sports/stu-on-sports-sports/devante-smith-pelly-will-see-some-familiar-faces-in-canadiens-locker-room

Well stated Habs 30/31

That pretty much sized up my great respect and gratitude to Mr Bob Gainey, who is also one hell of a fine human being. Nobody wanted to come to Montreal before he came to the club and brought with him the great respect with which he is properly and rightly viewed .. as to Gomer... we still have a problem carrying the puck into the offensive zone!! :nuts:

We habbers owe a debt of gratitude to this great and dignified man of character.

Thanks Mr Gainey ! :clap::clap:

EDIT: I forgot to give kudos to Rev G for the excellent post that started this thread. Excellent post.

Reasons why they are positioned for success in the future:

Carey Price: 27

Max Pac: 26

PK Subban: 25

Alex Galchenyuk: 21

Brendan Gallagher: 22

Nathan Beaulieu: 22

Jarred Tinordi: 23

Jacob De La Rose: 19

Lars Eller: 25

Christian Thomas: 22

Michael Bournival: 22

Dale Weise: 26

Greg Pateryn: 24

Dustin Tokarski: 25

That's 14 players currently dressed for the 1st place Montreal Canadiens all under the age of 27. I don't think I need to elaborate.

Interesting. Please elaborate on why you don't think you need to elaborate.