Feb 24 17:00 PST Montreal @ St. Louis

DON

This has to be one of their better games played this year. The Blues are a tough team, especially at home and Montreal made them look bad. They forced tons of turnovers and didn't give up many solid scoring chances. This game could have easily been alot worse for the home team. When do the Habs start getting talked about being serious contenders?

This has to be one of their better games played this year. The Blues are a tough team, especially at home and Montreal made them look bad. They forced tons of turnovers and didn't give up many solid scoring chances. This game could have easily been alot worse for the home team. When do the Habs start getting talked about being serious contenders?

Cant argue with that. Habs played great hockey for sixty minutes. May be the best game they played this season (and tinordi and pateryn in line up) Hard to change the line up of the team after a win like that.

690 says that Gonchar may be relegated to the press box upon return...any thoughts? I personally like the influx of youth, speed and aggression back there. When Backes was running roughshod over everyone last night, Pateryn threw him down hard into the boards and Backes didn't throw another hit afterward. I like that from our D

690 says that Gonchar may be relegated to the press box upon return...any thoughts? I personally like the influx of youth, speed and aggression back there. When Backes was running roughshod over everyone last night, Pateryn threw him down hard into the boards and Backes didn't throw another hit afterward. I like that from our D

I would leave Gonchar in the press box too. The speed, aggression and hunger of the young guys far out value is eighty-five years of experience. Might ever consider leaving emelin there too.

86 champion habs had nine. rookies on the team

Gee, I've actually forgotten about Emelin! That's how much I like the current 6 D-men in the lineup. Now ppl are going to say "we can't rely on these young D-men in the playoffs!" Well, there's still 20+ games to play before playoffs, let's just see how the young guys play until then before we go sending anyone down.

Pateryn, Beaulieu, Tinordi and Gilbert in the lineup last night.

The fact that we didn't face 50 shots on net is amazing.

The fact that we only took 23 shots on net is a bit disturbing - most nights you're not going to score 5 on that.

Of note:

Pateryn, Beaulieu, Tinordi, Gilbert held off the scoresheet, despite the habs scoring 5 goals.

Pacioretty also held off the scoresheet - although not for lack of good play and chances. Since he's been responsible for most of our goals lately, scoring 5 without him factoring in to any of them is a good sign.

Beaulieu had the most time on the ice of any hab, with over 25 minutes.

Gilbert was second, with almost 25 minutes.

Tinordi and Pateryn had under 12 minutes on the D.

Plecs and Prust were our most heavily used forwards, with over 17 minutes of icetime each, compared to Thomas and Bournival who had only 8 minutes each.

Beg to differ as well. He was not playing well. Play off hockey i will take a young hungry Tinordi or Patryn over an old slow recently concussed Gonchar.

Liked watching Pateryn manhandle Backes one on one then slam him to the boards.

Providing the two recently called up dmen keep playing the way they played last night , no reason to take then out.

I guarantee you Gonchar will get serious minutes in the playoffs.

That said, resting him down the stretch (even after his injury) isn't a bad idea.

With MT as coach i dont doubt that. Book on the old boy will be to paste him to the glass every chance you get. He'll struggle.

Subban now with 44points and only 3 off NHL d-man scoring lead. Doing just fine.

Pacioretty 22nd in scoring, on pace for 39.6 goals, will he get 40?

Looks like Plekanec, Gallagher and Galchenyuk all are a lock to have 20+ goal seasons.

Outscored Blues 9-3 in their 2 games.

Carey is sitting at 1.91 GAA, who was the last Hab goalie to be sub 2.0?

While Gilbert is not Josh (causes a goal against per game) Gorges, Gilbert still makes me nervous for play offs. Weak link.

That's completely unfair. Josh Gorges is a great defensive defenseman. He just brings nothing else to the game with him other than that. Still, he did a great job baby-sitting Subban through PK's less responsible years.

• Upvote 1

Gorges offered absolutely nothing once the puck crossed center. Someone should tell him this ain't lacrosse. Was average at best as a defensive defense man. Glad MB did not want him either. Loud mouth in dressing room, laughed at by players. I like the habs24 show where they had his sweater on a home made six foot bowling pin in front of his stall. :rofl:

Gorges offered absolutely nothing once the puck crossed center.

That much I agree with. I thought he was much better than average on his own side of centre-ice, though.

I'm not saying I want him back or anything...the habs need offense, not more defense. I'm just saying he did what Gainey brought him to Montreal to do, and he did it well.

Josh Gorges is an excellent meat and potatoes guy but expecting him to get a puck out of the zone was like expecting him to have breakaways.

Gilbert is almost the opposite. He isn't meat and potatoes at all. I guess you could say he's kale and smoothies. But kale and smoothies can get a puck out of the zone in a flash.

• Upvote 1

Josh Gorges is an excellent meat and potatoes guy but expecting him to get a puck out of the zone was like expecting him to have breakaways.

Gilbert is almost the opposite. He isn't meat and potatoes at all. I guess you could say he's kale and smoothies. But kale and smoothies can get a puck out of the zone in a flash.

Dunno man, Kale and smoothies might be stretching it....

How bout sea weed and melted ice cream? :ph34r:

You're right tho...

I respect Gorges as a blood-and-guts warrior, but the fact is team has not missed him one bit. That's the bottom line.

As for Gonchar in the playoffs: cagey old veterans tend to raise their game in the playoffs, and tend to flag during the mid-season doldrums. It would not shock me to see Gonchar "surprising" people with his smart play in the crunch (just has he surprised most of us with very strong play for several weeks after he was acquired - all forgotten, of course, because of a few bad games in January). This would be the reason for his being dressed, not Therrien's supposed loathing of young players, which is, frankly, a complete canard.

At the end of the day, though, I don't care if it's Gonchar or Pateryn or whomever else, as long as they're helping us win when it counts.

Yeah, this team will need some minutes from Gonchar in the playoffs, and it will probably be big minutes, and I mean why not?

Until he falters I say get our money's worth come spring, just think about what he has done in his career, and what he has done with our young future #2, and tell me a rookie deserves to be in for Gonchar.

Give him a rest now, and get the Rooks experience, but MT will rely on Gonchar for sure.

I don't get how anyone could say Gonchar looked bad. Slow? Sure. Made mistakes? I saw them. I also saw him play great on the road, pick pockets and support Beaulieu to make the plays he needed to in order to build his confidence. He's our B Markov. And of course I hear nothing but whining about Markov's speed and any error he makes when he's still one of the best defencemen in the league. Markov and Gonchar raise our team IQ every time they play. The whole team plays smarter with them out there.

I'm starting to realize a lot of Habs fans are unforgiving when a player isn't fast (regardless of context) but eternally forgiving if a player throws bodychecks (regardless of context).

• Upvote 1